collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Finding the right path  (Read 2896 times)

DownByTheWillowTree

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Finding the right path
« on: May 20, 2014, 04:02:57 am »
Hey everyone :)

Since I'm new to paganism (I read a few books, but still pretty new) I was hoping you could help me get started.

I guess the most important thing would be to find your own path and how to start practicing... Does anyone have recommendations for me on that subject?

I already read Wicca Teachings - An Introduction and Practical Guide by Tony Bell, but I'd like further information on the gods and goddesses of the different cultures.

Maybe you could tell me how you found your own path? :)

Thanks!

catloverkid

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the right path
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:59:31 am »
Quote from: DownByTheWillowTree;148067

The internet is a magical place.

I was searching for something to replace Christianity after two years of figuring out that I needed *a* belief system, whatever it was, and kept coming back to paganism in my research. So focused on that, looked at different cultures and gods and goddesses. I started with Greek/Roman and Egyptian, but there was no pull.

I didn't actually start with the Norse, my only real interest in their history is "ooh ancient history" (I adore ancient history, but my lifelong love is Ancient Egypt) and Marvel. But when I looked stuff up in it, it felt right.

I don't know how I found Sigyn exactly, she's not on your typical list of Norse gods, but I did, and resisted for about a week, and then gave in. Lit a candle and said "okay, if you're out there, I'm here." Felt pretty stupid actually, but it obviously paid off.

Two weeks later I was doing research and it mentioned putting toys on her altar for the boys, so I did, and a week later Loki showed up.

A month later I'm his Padawan, and she's my Lady.

I'm stumbling along and figuring out how all this works still, but you never stop learning, do you? :)
"Do the gods speak?"
"Do they ever stop?"

DownByTheWillowTree

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:16:06 am »
Quote from: catloverkid;148073

I'm stumbling along and figuring out how all this works still, but you never stop learning, do you? :)

No, I guess you don't :)
Thanks for sharing your story. I've been trying to let it all come to me, and somehow I always come across Celtic/Irish paths that fascinate me, and I'm looking forward to learning more about it all.

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:04:04 pm »

Since I'm new to paganism (I read a few books, but still pretty new) I was hoping you could help me get started.

I guess the most important thing would be to find your own path and how to start practicing... Does anyone have recommendations for me on that subject?

I already read Wicca Teachings - An Introduction and Practical Guide by Tony Bell, but I'd like further information on the gods and goddesses of the different cultures.

Thanks!

Well, first, I would learn some basic information about all the different "paganisms" you can. Learn about wicca. Learn about hellenic, kemetic, celtic, and roman reconstructionism. Learn about heathenry, and any others you can find out stuff about. Figure out what you feel you are drawn to. Then you learn more about the path(s) you're interested in. How to worship, shrines, ritual order, the gods and what they are like.

Make sure to check your sources and don't take information from websites that look like Geocities vomit. If the person writing barely knows more than you, it might not be the best place to go.

At least, that's how I (sorta) did it at the start. Here's some resources by people who write better than me.

Seeking A website by our very own Jenett that is a very good resource.
Teens and Paganism FAQ Read this even if you're not a teen.

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:08:31 pm by Night Owl »

DownByTheWillowTree

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 03:01:24 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;148087

Seeking A website by our very own Jenett that is a very good resource.
Teens and Paganism FAQ Read this even if you're not a teen.

Good luck :)

Thanks! I already checked out Jenett's website, it's great, and I'll check the other one out right away :D

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:05:03 pm »
 I'd like further information on the gods and goddesses of the different cultures.

Personally, the only book about neo-paganism that I find to be worth my time is Deep Ancestors: Practicing the Religion of the Proto-Indo-Europeans, by Ceisiwr Serith.

Obviously, I'm one of the made-my-own-path people. Outside of the previously mentioned book,  I have not used other neo-pagan religions for material for my own. Instead, I engaged in my own research of the archaeological remains of pagan Europe. So my perspective might be unique.

From my viewpoint, pagan ritual is a framework by which one can relate to the world on a symbolic level and begin constructing a neo-native religion (one that doesn't borrow the gods, land spirits, mythology, symbols and festivals of another country), so the quest for a path is, in part, finding the tradition of rituals that suits your needs.

Philosophical outlook is important as well. Mine is guided by materialism, utilitarian ethics and sacralizing the human domain. Others believe in reincarnation and that only uninhabited wilderness is sacred. So take time to figure out what you feel to be true.

Tags: