collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Eclectic? what does it mean?  (Read 1786 times)

swgamble

• View Profile
Eclectic? what does it mean?
« on: January 10, 2013, 01:59:38 pm »
Hey I am new to the forum and new to paganism. I find myself drawn to the Celtic gods (Mainly Lugh, Morrigan and Brigid). But I am also interested in Roma folk magic and voodoo.

I have seen the word Eclectic used multiple times while reading through the beginners forum to mean serving a variety of gods from across multiple pantheons. I figure that this would be the closest thing to how I would identify.

I wondered if anyone else who identified that way would give me some direction on how to move forward.

Euryalus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Eclectic? what does it mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »
Quote from: swgamble;90067
Hey I am new to the forum and new to paganism. I find myself drawn to the Celtic gods (Mainly Lugh, Morrigan and Brigid). But I am also interested in Roma folk magic and voodoo.

I have seen the word Eclectic used multiple times while reading through the beginners forum to mean serving a variety of gods from across multiple pantheons. I figure that this would be the closest thing to how I would identify.

I wondered if anyone else who identified that way would give me some direction on how to move forward.

While I don't identify as anything, let alone an eclectic, (though I'm currently trying out several different things at once, which I suppose makes me a de facto eclectic...) Eclectic Paganism is pretty much what you said: drawing on multiple influences from a variety of cultures to create a coherent practice.  (As I understand it this is distinct from Syncretic Paganism which is using elements of one religion in the context of another, e.g. Tamaran Wicca, which is the worship of the Kemetic Netjeru within a Wiccan framework as opposed to within a Kemetic framework.)  While an eclectic practice can seem to the outsider to be "easy-mode Paganism", from what I gather doing it well is in many ways more difficult than sticking to a single branch.  (Lots more reading, both of explicitly Pagan and religious books to learn the practices and scholarly texts to know what in the former is plain-and-simple BS / fluffy-bunny whitelightery.)  There's the additional risk of accidental cultural appropriation, which is using deeply meaningful symbolic aspects of another culture/religion in a shallow or incorrect way.  (For example you should probably stay away from anything Native American unless taught to you in person by an actual tribal elder.)

So I would advise that you proceed cautiously with your research and experimentation with eclecticism, and remember to consult multiple sources to make sure your information is valid and never delve further into another culture's practices than their laity would without going through the proper channels, i.e. the ones that members of that culture would go through.

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »
Quote from: swgamble;90067

What is "Eclectic"?

Explanation, dictionary style:

Somebody who is eclectic, selects from various doctrines, methods or styles those parts she considers the best. The word also denotes a whole, constructed from pieces obtained from various sources.

Definition of a Sort

Eclectic Pagans form a large group, consisting of people with widely different religious views. This "denomination" or "group" is not easily definable and one could say that the only feature binding it together is - being eclectic.

Very simply put, Eclectic Pagans are Pagans who do not adhere to any given tradition  and/or religion, but build their own religious world view out of pieces they have picked from different traditions and/or religions, adding to the mix - when they see a need - features they have developed themselves. Those Eclectics who do consider themselves as belonging to a given Pagan religion, combine features from the different traditions of that religion, often adding also features derived from elsewhere. Many "basic Pagans not belonging to any religion" are some grade of eclectics. Many of them identify themselves simply as "Pagans".

Eclectics are often solitary, but there are also eclectic Pagan groups, for example Wiccan covens.

(link to the rest)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:43:08 am »
Quote from: Euryalus;90076
While an eclectic practice can seem to the outsider to be "easy-mode Paganism", from what I gather doing it well is in many ways more difficult than sticking to a single branch.

I consider Darkhawk's article On Eclecticism, Syncretism, Multiple-Path, and other Combinatorics to be very useful for those who want to do eclecticism well.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

swgamble

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;90285
I consider Darkhawk's article On Eclecticism, Syncretism, Multiple-Path, and other Combinatorics to be very useful for those who want to do eclecticism well.

Sunflower

Thank you. This was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I going to be mulling over this for awhile I think.

ZenDruidry

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://zendruidry.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:39:59 am »

Sunflower

Yes, thank you as well! :)
My Wordpress Blog: Zen Druidry

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:41:47 pm »

Sunflower

Bookmarked.  This forum rocks.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: