Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: General/Non-Specific: Daily Practice?  (Read 5929 times)

copper1

• View Profile
  • Religion: Agnostic
Daily Practice?
« on: July 18, 2020, 04:31:07 pm »
Hi I was wondering what you all do as a daily practice to keep in touch with your path? (I am leaning in the direction of Paganism but I honestly can't define any more than that right now). Also I am practicing as a solitary.

I am lighting a candle once a day at the moment.

Looking for other ideas :)

entwife

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: ecclectic
Re: Daily Practice?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 10:22:36 pm »

Right now this is my daily

Minimum of 20 minutes meditation in nature
Preferably another 20 minutes with one of my tree friends who help me realign, find balance, ground, heal etc
charging a set of wind chimes to spread tiny seeds of loving kindness when it rings
cleansing and grounding rituals are a daily must for me, especially if I need to go out in public. It could be as simple as washing my hands and face before drinking some water. Smudging can happen lol Showers are an excellent time for visualizing all the emotional sludge washing away. Sometimes I need the chakra points in my hands or feet to touch earth or tree.
I tend a few potted plants and take a few minutes to smell and appreciate the flowers
I listen to the local Crows and Bluejays communicate throughout the day
If I am cooking, you can also bet that I made your meal with intent

Hope this stirs some ideas for you!
Wishing you laughter

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 07:08:07 am »
Hi I was wondering what you all do as a daily practice to keep in touch with your path? (I am leaning in the direction of Paganism but I honestly can't define any more than that right now). Also I am practicing as a solitary.

I don't have a strict daily practice as I find that there are days when all the time has gone and it's time for sleep (which is important), and I try not to put pressure on myself around daily things which haven't happened in those circumstances.

About the only thing I aim to do almost every day is my self-care practice (as this is the most important thing for me at present) -- this may consist of some gentle yoga (sometimes as simple as 'legs up the wall' pose for 10 or 20 minutes, sometimes a few stretching poses too) or I may do some relaxation/meditation; or some days it's both those things.

At this time of year, as it's summer here, I like to do a little earthing most days too, of the physical kind as opposed to the metaphysical (so for me, in this context, this means going out on the front lawn in my bare feet for 20 minutes or so).  Latterly I usually combine this time with giving a meal to and making a fuss of a little semi-stray cat who lives in my road, and I consider this to be a sort of offering - I feed this cat daily, regardless of the weather, so even if I'm not doing any earthing I will put a meal out for this cat.

For yourself, based on what you've posted, I think I might suggest aiming to spend a bit of time meditating/reflecting (doesn't have to be a big chunk of time, as sometimes when people are new to meditation they can find it challenging -- could be just 5 or even 3 minutes, to start with).  You could combine this with your daily candle lighting, as candle flames can be a great aid for meditation.  You might also wish to follow this up with some journalling or creating some artwork expressing what you've experienced during your meditations/reflections.

Only if these things appeal to you or sound useful, of course -- and do consider whether you want your daily practice to be a strict daily one, or whether there's room to be a bit more relaxed with the schedule of things (personal preference, obviously).

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:11:20 am by PerditaPickle »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 09:33:31 am »
Right now this is my daily

Minimum of 20 minutes meditation in nature
Preferably another 20 minutes with one of my tree friends who help me realign, find balance, ground, heal etc
charging a set of wind chimes to spread tiny seeds of loving kindness when it rings
cleansing and grounding rituals are a daily must for me, especially if I need to go out in public. It could be as simple as washing my hands and face before drinking some water. Smudging can happen lol Showers are an excellent time for visualizing all the emotional sludge washing away. Sometimes I need the chakra points in my hands or feet to touch earth or tree.
I tend a few potted plants and take a few minutes to smell and appreciate the flowers
I listen to the local Crows and Bluejays communicate throughout the day
If I am cooking, you can also bet that I made your meal with intent

Hope this stirs some ideas for you!

Hi! I'm a little slack on my practice these days, but I usually pray first and third hour prayers (morning and evening prayers) from the Clann Bhride Book of Hours. I also say some prayers to my ancestors, leave a few offerings for the land spirits, and then do some Zazen meditation (focuses on breathing). Then, depending on if I shower in the morning or evening, I do a "lustration" ritual, a cleansing ritual using water and essential oils.

It's a little cluttered at the moment but I hope it helps :)
I talk to plants.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 01:25:21 pm »

I am a big fan of "Do not make anything an absolutely essential part of your daily practice that you could not theoretically do in a hospital room (your own or someone else's), a hotel room, or stuck in an airport".  Candles, incense, special objects, being able to get outside are all great - but chances are, in the course of our lives, we are going to have times when those things aren't available for some reason.

So, stuff that involves you, your body, the inside of your head? Pretty reliable. (or at least, if it isn't, you're probably not in a state to be doing a focused practice in the first place). Breathing is pretty reliable for most people, but I have asthma, so I do not base my daily practice on my ability to breathe comfortably.

A cup of water? Involves an object, but a pretty flexible one that you need to stay alive, so probably a safe enough bet.

A specific location, or tool (like candles or incense): add them if they help you, or you enjoy them, but make sure you anchor the practice some other ways, and have a backup plan. This backup plan is also really handy for things like "I overslept, and had to leave the house without doing the things I normally do" or "I woke up feeling lousy" or "There is an ongoing crisis in my life that is sucking up all of my energy"

With that said, my core daily practices that involve obvious actions are:
1) Brief offerings to deities and powers (6 out of 7 days a week, that is words and energy only, the 7th I do a candle/incense/some sort of food or drink offering. If I were in a position where I couldn't do that, I'd do the words and energy. Details over here on my website)

I also often do a brief thing to the planet of the day, plus any particular requests, and sometimes put on a ritual oil or something of that kind. The whole thing takes 2-5 minutes.

2) I listen to a song from a playlist of music collected for that reason, and pull a Tarot card of the day. There are days I skip this for logistical reasons, and this is not an essential part of my practice. (In reality, days I skip the music, I tend to get earwormed by something specific, and get music in my head anyway...) These are both things I can do anywhere I have my phone, too, it doesn't need me being at my shrine.

The past month or two, I have added reading a selection from a book of daily Pagan calendar stuff, and a chapter in a book of interest to my witchy practice (the current book has short chapters: the one I'll start this week is probably going to be half a chapter a day.) Those aren't essential either, but they take 10-20 minutes, and I like starting the day like that.

My less obvious stuff:
Includes many of the things in this article, though I don't remotely do most of them every day.  But a bunch of them are "spend some time setting it up once, then benefit from that over and over" (like my wallpaper/password/etc. choices), or tie in nicely to things I'm doing anyway (doing some cleansing work in the shower).

My toenails are always painted a devotional colour, though, except for a day or two a year when I deliberately strip them (further explained at a link), and I have a shrine in my bedroom and one in my living room.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 06:41:15 pm »

You could try making a ritual calendar. I've made one (its still a draft) and it has helped me to maintain a schedule of worship. You can also create a checklist of ritual actions/offerings, that you need for the ritual. I don't know what exact religion you follow, but if its a popular one a calendar may exist already.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 06:47:05 pm »
Hi I was wondering what you all do as a daily practice to keep in touch with your path?

I do a prayer morning and evening, with an offering of water in the morning.

My morning and afternoon tea may count too, I'm not sure  ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

copper1

• View Profile
  • Religion: Agnostic
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 10:02:15 pm »
Thank you for all the ideas I am going to try them all and see what fits!

I noticed meditation and Nature as a theme in this thread. I tried to meditate outside today for 3 minutes. I did fairly ok but did check the timer :)

Love the idea of windchimes! will look for some online, if you have any to recommend that would be great. I had some bamboo ones I liked quite a bit.

I will look at the prayers in the Clann Bhride Book of Hours

Again thanks all  :)

Will follow up.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 08:25:37 am »
Thank you for all the ideas I am going to try them all and see what fits!

I noticed meditation and Nature as a theme in this thread. I tried to meditate outside today for 3 minutes. I did fairly ok but did check the timer :)

Love the idea of windchimes! will look for some online, if you have any to recommend that would be great. I had some bamboo ones I liked quite a bit.

I will look at the prayers in the Clann Bhride Book of Hours

Again thanks all  :)

Will follow up.

A Reminder:

Hi copper1,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Aisling
TC Forum Staff

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Brangwen

• View Profile
  • Religion: Learning
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 09:50:29 am »

Meditative breathing to help focus is something I try to do a few times a week. Trying to do many things daily can become daunting and feel obligatory. Leave room for life. The candle lighting is nice and simple. In my opinion, stick with that until you feel guided/compelled to do something else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Pendle Girl

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan with strong Kemetic leanings, also witch
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 12:51:24 pm »

I think lighting a candle is a lovely way to tell your deities that you're thinking of them. It's certainly what I do, especially as I find trying to do any form of daily (or even weekly!) worship/practise etc. very difficult. Lighting a candle is quick and simple and very effective.

I would really struggle to do any form of regular practise. I go through weeks and months when I do give offerings regularly, but equally, I can find months going by when I do nothing at all. I suspect many Pagans might be appalled with me for that!  ;D

I simply lack the discipline and, even if I managed to keep it up for a length of time, I know myself well enough to know that I would eventually lapse again.

I assume that, since my deities called out to me, they must know this about me and must be ok with it. They have not let me know otherwise as of yet, so...

If you feel compelled to do a daily ritual of some kind, be it a prayer, meditation, an offering etc., then by all means do. But don't feel you have to. Some may disagree with me and that's fine too, but I think you should do whatever works best between you and your deities - good luck!

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 01:33:40 am »
Hi I was wondering what you all do as a daily practice to keep in touch with your path?

My practice tends to mutate every year or so, but for a little over a year now I've been holding steady with some small, loosely-structured daily rituals, adding onto them as I go:
  • anointing the devotional tattoo on my right arm three times with nice body butter/lotion while murmuring a short mantra to my patron, as an offering before engaging in creative or mystical activity;
  • lighting a candle to summon my gods while murmuring a short mantra three times;
  • and, a recently added practice, drinking a bottle of water while imagining my primary Power kissing me to breathe purifying energy into me.
I would like to gradually add on to the list as time goes on, but I intend to be careful not to get overburdened. It's been helpful to tie it into something I either like doing or need to do anyway.

I'm currently trying to pick up the habit of regularly performing a personal nine-count breathwork exercise I use for various purposes (cleansing my energy, altering my energy, raising power, entering certain mental states, etc) every day when I take a shower. It's been harder than anticipated, but I'm working on it.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 12:56:01 pm »

Meditation, usually (but not necessarily) first thing in the morning. I used to be very consistent; then I got sloppy about it; and now I'm getting back into the daily groove. I find doing it every day is hugely beneficial, and I steadily get better at it if I stick to an every-day schedule.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tags: