Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Could this be a sign from someone?  (Read 1570 times)

Ehina

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Could this be a sign from someone?
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »
I know people  that are new to their path really would love to find a god/dess that they connect with because frankly I really would love to.  But I don't want to be walking around and thinking that everything is a sign, as if I were to trip over a flat surface I don't want to end up thinking "Oh, that must be a sign from Loki; playing tricks on me." or seeing a gold suit of armor and assume that it is a sign from Athena. But I also don't want to actually be passing something up that could be a calling. You know?

Anyway, as I was thinking about things that really stood out to me about odd things that happened I remembered before I had even hear about Wicca and 'Paganism'. My friend and I were hanging out and I stole his pentacle necklace, he only actually took it from another one of our friends and she said he could have it. Well I returned it to him one day and out the blue he walked back over to me and said "I think you should keep this." and handed it back.

But other than that just weird things happen, I saw his little girl dressed in white with brown short curly hair run through my back yard and when I went to look there wasn't anyone there, but then I saw a girl in the yard behind mine (There is a fence dividing them and a ally) that looked exactly like that but she was staring at the ground. Or things will just 'fall' (we think the house is haunted) and or I will feel something or hear something.

Does this sound like something anyone ( god/dess wise) would do to any of you?

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Could this be a sign from someone?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:32:37 pm »
Quote from: NeonGreenCrayon;75894
I know people  that are new to their path really would love to find a god/dess that they connect with because frankly I really would love to.  But I don't want to be walking around and thinking that everything is a sign, as if I were to trip over a flat surface I don't want to end up thinking "Oh, that must be a sign from Loki; playing tricks on me." or seeing a gold suit of armor and assume that it is a sign from Athena. But I also don't want to actually be passing something up that could be a calling. You know?

Anyway, as I was thinking about things that really stood out to me about odd things that happened I remembered before I had even hear about Wicca and 'Paganism'. My friend and I were hanging out and I stole his pentacle necklace, he only actually took it from another one of our friends and she said he could have it. Well I returned it to him one day and out the blue he walked back over to me and said "I think you should keep this." and handed it back.

But other than that just weird things happen, I saw his little girl dressed in white with brown short curly hair run through my back yard and when I went to look there wasn't anyone there, but then I saw a girl in the yard behind mine (There is a fence dividing them and a ally) that looked exactly like that but she was staring at the ground. Or things will just 'fall' (we think the house is haunted) and or I will feel something or hear something.

Not everything has to be a sign from a deity, nor do you need to see a sign from a deity to start following and honoring them. A lot of people think, when they first start off with this, that a god will take a special interest in them and they'll have a best friend up in the sky or somesuch but that's just not true for the vast majority of people. For many, veneration is pretty one-sided and interaction is extremely rare, and for some I imagine it doesn't happen at all. So don't think that you need something to happen to you in order for you to begin your path-- sometimes you gotta take the initiative instead of waiting for a sign to fall into your lap. It doesn't make you any less of a pagan (or whatever title you prefer), and it doesn't make you "lame" or anything. It makes you pretty normal, actually.

As for your examples, it could be ghosties. Or maybe land/house spirits. In my tradition the spirit of the house itself is different from the land it's built on, so you might try starting with fostering those relationships, since they're much more likely to impact your day to day life and interact with you than the gods will.

What divinities or pantheons are you personally interested in? There's nothing wrong with picking someone, or a group of gods, and approaching. These deities aren't often thought of as being omniscient like with monotheisms, so sometimes you've got to be the one to get their attention and start the conversation.

Ehina

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:40:48 pm »
Quote from: Maps;75898

What divinities or pantheons are you personally interested in? There's nothing wrong with picking someone, or a group of gods, and approaching. These deities aren't often thought of as being omniscient like with monotheisms, so sometimes you've got to be the one to get their attention and start the conversation.

Well I was looking into my heritage and found that I have a lot of European ancestors, such as English, Irish, and German ( with others thrown in there). But everything seems wishy-washy.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:06:13 am »

Not really, however, like Maps said you don't need to wait for a deity to contact you. Most people are never directly contacted by some deity like that. Instead they end up following a deity or deities of their choice (perhaps a patron of their profession or interests). There is nothing wrong with selecting your own deities to follow, in fact, it is much more normal that being contacted by a deity.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:35 am »

For a variant on this, I've never been particularly bothered (or interested) in deities. Not everyone uses them, and there are dozens of different theories as to their existence (what form, etc...).

I agree with the previous posters (hence why I  hadn't replied sooner), if you're really so interested, then it may be more worth your while to begin looking into different deities yourself and identifying the ones that are of interest to you. :)

Ehina

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 02:37:29 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;75923
then it may be more worth your while to begin looking into different deities yourself and identifying the ones that are of interest to you. :)

Quote from: RandallS;75913
There is nothing wrong with selecting your own deities to follow, in fact, it is much more normal that being contacted by a deity.

I feel that if I were to pick my own (wow, that makes me sound  like  I'm picking out produce..:ashamed: ) deities then I would choose one that is well known because there might be more information on them.
I get easily discouraged when I can't information :(

Euryalus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 03:10:49 pm »
Quote from: NeonGreenCrayon;75933
I feel that if I were to pick my own (wow, that makes me sound  like  I'm picking out produce..:ashamed: ) deities then I would choose one that is well known because there might be more information on them.
I get easily discouraged when I can't information :(

Try researching gods whose spheres affect your day-to-day life, e.g. if you're a student you might try Djehuti or Minerva, or if you're a businessperson Mercury might be a good idea.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:11:24 pm by Euryalus »

Ehina

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 03:23:19 pm »
Quote from: Euryalus;75935
Try researching gods whose spheres affect your day-to-day life, e.g. if you're a student you might try Djehuti or Minerva, or if you're a businessperson Mercury might be a good idea.

That would be a good idea, Thanks!
And may I add that I adore your avatar!:D:

Tags: