"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Color Balance When Doing Candle Rituals  (Read 1990 times)

MercedesDawn

• View Profile
Color Balance When Doing Candle Rituals
« on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:33 pm »
I have found my calling to be in candles, and as i know everyone has their own way, it has been difficult for me to learn more. Recently i met a very nice shop owner who warned me that i needed to balance the colors of the candles i was burning in my rituals. He did not offer further explanation. I have tried looking into more about this and have been unsuccessful. If there is anyone who could offer more insight for me, i would greatly appreciate it.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Color Balance When Doing Candle Rituals
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:45:41 am »
Quote from: MercedesDawn;48884
I have found my calling to be in candles, and as i know everyone has their own way, it has been difficult for me to learn more. Recently i met a very nice shop owner who warned me that i needed to balance the colors of the candles i was burning in my rituals. He did not offer further explanation. I have tried looking into more about this and have been unsuccessful. If there is anyone who could offer more insight for me, i would greatly appreciate it.

Does very nice shop owner SELL said candles?

Sounds like a way to drum up business to me.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:49:10 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;48940

*snorts* Sounds most likely.

I personally don't hold 'advice' in high regard that consists of some mysterious insinuations and the conspicuous lack any further explanations.

My advice on such advice: Ignore it.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:03:11 am »

While I agree with the others that its proabably a ploy to get you to purchase more, I wonder just what color combinations you typically use in your rituals?  It might give us a clue as to what was being referenced.

For example

I use light green for cultivated or civilized lands (one might read tamed here), a dark green for wilderness or forrested lands (one might read wild for this).  A light blue for shallow waters, a dark blue if I am calling upon the oceans and sea's (I'm a retired sailor so it makes a difference to me).  A gold or yellow candle typically for divine presence in general, a specific color for the god / goddess I am calling upon and related to them.  Just some examples that probably will differ for others but gives you an idea.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:04:55 am »
Recently i met a very nice shop owner who warned me that i needed to balance the colors of the candles i was burning in my rituals. He did not offer further explanation.

I've never heard of this before. My guess it is that it is either something out of his personal beliefs/magical tradition or he's just trying to sell more candles.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

caelestisraven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:34:39 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;48940

Sounds like a way to drum up business to me.

lol :p

Perhaps you are focusing on only a few colors, for example maybe your favorite color is purple so you seem to almost always choose purple because it feels right for everything. And you hate the color brown so you never use it.

Honestly though I find that using what feels best, is best. Alot of people may say to use red for love but if it doesn't feel right to you then you shouldn't. and even if you seem to go for the same color(s) but it feels right then go with that.
♥ I walk in the shadow of the moon, I dance to the pulse of the earth. ♥

My Blog..¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/ ›●‹

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:49:42 pm »
Quote from: caelestisraven;49004
lol :p

Perhaps you are focusing on only a few colors, for example maybe your favorite color is purple so you seem to almost always choose purple because it feels right for everything. And you hate the color brown so you never use it.

Honestly though I find that using what feels best, is best. Alot of people may say to use red for love but if it doesn't feel right to you then you shouldn't. and even if you seem to go for the same color(s) but it feels right then go with that.

the only thing that I can think of is in terms of doing bindings or spells to bring stuff to you.
some suggest you need to not leave a vacume.
if you light a black candle to banish something away...you need to also light a good candle to draw in good things to fill the vacume.
like when you sage a space to cleanse it of unwanted elements,some suggest burning sweet grass afterwards to encourage good spirits to come in place of any unwanted spirits you got rid of with the sage.

like if you want a better position at work,you light a candle to encourage the boss to choose up,or to make fortune shine on you.
but you light another to wish those who would be losing that position or not getting that position,well,or however you want to see it.

those last examples are a little more extrapolated and laborate,but the basic idea is,if your removing bad,you need to put something...usually good in its place. nature abhors a vacume.
don't let them decide what goes in its place....opertunistic entities may not be what you want.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

MercedesDawn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:58:58 am »
Quote from: spoOk;49031
t the basic idea is,if your removing bad,you need to put something...usually good in its place. nature abhors a vacume.
don't let them decide what goes in its place....opertunistic entities may not be what you want.

I think this is probably the best explanation for my case, I use all colors in my rituals, and i am usually doing so as to remove negativity or bring good fortune for others. I guess i had not thought of the consequences of not also bringing in good and/or wishing other besides the one intended. Thank you very much for your insight it has helped greatly :)

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 07:36:27 pm »
Quote from: MercedesDawn;49078
I think this is probably the best explanation for my case, I use all colors in my rituals, and i am usually doing so as to remove negativity or bring good fortune for others. I guess i had not thought of the consequences of not also bringing in good and/or wishing other besides the one intended. Thank you very much for your insight it has helped greatly :)

I do candle spells quite often, and only use one candle at a time unless the spell I'm doing calls for more. As far as routine ritual, I have four quarter candles and two for the God and Goddess. Once I get my Druid shrine together, that'll either have one big candle or three small ones.

At any rate, if someone tells you something and then refuses to explain themselves, I'd just ignore it. Either they're being a bit of a jerk, because they've deliberately knocked up an oath-bound boundary, or they're doing things without a good answer, or they just want to sound all "ooky spooky".

Karen

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 01:06:42 am »

To be honest, I've never heard of the phrase "color balance" outside of the artist's color wheel (and Photoshop). You should ask him whether spells work better with primary, secondary, or complementary colors.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Tags: