collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Cast Iron and Charcoal  (Read 2222 times)

mellowitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Cast Iron and Charcoal
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:46:27 am »
Good afternoon,

I'm looking at purchasing a small cauldron here in the next couple of weeks and am wondering if a self-burning charcoal disk can be used in one without damaging it. I'm assuming it won't be a problem, but want to see if anybody has experience with doing this!

Thanks,

Josh

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cast Iron and Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:13 am »
Quote from: mellowitch;75691
Good afternoon,

I'm looking at purchasing a small cauldron here in the next couple of weeks and am wondering if a self-burning charcoal disk can be used in one without damaging it. I'm assuming it won't be a problem, but want to see if anybody has experience with doing this!

Thanks,

Josh

Back when I did use cone or powder incense that's exactly what I did, used my mini-cauldron

One suggestion to reduce the chance of overheating, and also make it easier to move if you need to - put a base of sand in the bottom, fill the cauldron about 1/3 to 1/2 full with the sand.  This also puts the disk up higher to make lighting it easier

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:03:15 pm »
Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Josh

What Rhy said.  I've burned all sorts of things in cast iron cauldrons and such.

River Moonwolf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:21:10 pm »
Quote from: sailor;75694
What Rhy said.  I've burned all sorts of things in cast iron cauldrons and such.

cast iron is pretty sturdy.  You can do all sorts of nifty things with it.  Like burn incense. Or do the wash.  or my favorite, mini-stew.  But yeah, definitely put a sand base up, as that sucker will get pretty hot.
The above post is entirely the opinion of the poster, and should be treated as such, unless, of course, it\'s right.  :D:

mellowitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:56:33 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;75692
Back when I did use cone or powder incense that's exactly what I did, used my mini-cauldron

One suggestion to reduce the chance of overheating, and also make it easier to move if you need to - put a base of sand in the bottom, fill the cauldron about 1/3 to 1/2 full with the sand.  This also puts the disk up higher to make lighting it easier

Oh this is excellent, I'm glad to hear. Great idea on the sand too! Thanks ya'll!

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:05:21 pm »
Quote from: mellowitch;75698
Oh this is excellent, I'm glad to hear. Great idea on the sand too! Thanks ya'll!

If sand is not easy to come by, a flat thick rock will also work to absorb some of the heat. When cleaning it's a bit easier to just remove the rock and dispose of the rest, and you can reuse the rocks without having to lose or sift through sand.

I have a mini cast iron skillet that I sometimes use for burning herbal incenses because the opening in wide and bulkier or puffier herbs can fit in easily.

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:11 am »
Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Josh

I use unscented kitty litter (the kind that is nothing more than clay bits) instead of sand as an insulator. Works pretty good, too.
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

Hunthjof

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:20:27 am »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;75692

Forgive my ignorance but do you have a source for the charcoal disks.  Understand I would need the disks to be able to be shipped to an FPO AP address.  My thanks.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 08:41:28 am »
Quote from: Hunthjof;75916
Forgive my ignorance but do you have a source for the charcoal disks.  Understand I would need the disks to be able to be shipped to an FPO AP address.  My thanks.

There has to be a local source.  The gate to the SSK shipyard always has something burning and I don't think it's just sticks of incense.

If you can wait until December we can go around the city looking for it.

Hunthjof

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 08:14:53 am »
Quote from: sailor;75919
There has to be a local source.  The gate to the SSK shipyard always has something burning and I don't think it's just sticks of incense.

If you can wait until December we can go around the city looking for it.

Thanks!

greywolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 04:58:08 pm »
Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Josh

I always put an inch or two of salt in the bottom.

HedgeWitch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 02:20:24 am »
Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Josh

Cauldrons are really just Olde World cooking pots designed to be hung over the hearth fire for long periods of time. I'm not sure about the commercial pagany ones you can buy with little moons etc on the side, the quality might not be very good. Why not source a South African poitje pot? They come in lots of sizes, same sort of price and are designed to be used for slow cooking on fires and bbq's so a little charcoal should be no problems! And they are proper cauldron shaped!

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »
Good afternoon,

Thanks,

Josh

I recommend adding the sand, as noted above. Not to protect the cauldron but to protect whatever surface you have it sitting on from heat. the sand will revent the heat transferring down the legs of the cauldron.

Tags: