collapse

Author Topic: Canadian online retailers  (Read 2075 times)

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Canadian online retailers
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:49:54 am »
This is for the other Canadian pagans out there, and well anyone that shops online.

My local pagan store has quite a nice selection of inventory, but I often find myself shopping for items online. The problem I am finding is that, living north of the border, the shipping cost for many retailers matches the prices of what I am purchasing. Example, 13moons.com has some fantastic items but minimum shipping starts at $21 and climbs rapidly.

So, does anyone have any pagan/occult retailers that they know of on this side of the border with a good selection if inventory available online?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:51:12 am by Vitkyng »

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:30:24 pm »
Quote from: Vitkyng;80797
This is for the other Canadian pagans out there, and well anyone that shops online.

My local pagan store has quite a nice selection of inventory, but I often find myself shopping for items online. The problem I am finding is that, living north of the border, the shipping cost for many retailers matches the prices of what I am purchasing. Example, 13moons.com has some fantastic items but minimum shipping starts at $21 and climbs rapidly.

So, does anyone have any pagan/occult retailers that they know of on this side of the border with a good selection if inventory available online?

Dude, I hear you.

I've gotten good stuff from the Witch of Forest Grove, whose new incarnation of her shop The Poisoner's Apothecary just opened up. The stock fluctuates since she makes/collects everything by hand, but the things I've purchased from her in the past were of high quality. (I'm waiting for her to put more of the beautiful wooden pentacles she makes up for sale.)

My mom ran an occult bookshop, and most of her stock came from the States. The oils she got from Healing Scents though, which is Canadian. What kind of supplies were you looking for, anyway?

A quick Google search found this site, which purports to list retailers in Canada. I can't personally vouch for any of them, though.

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:52:45 pm »
Quote from: Vitkyng;80797

The few items I'v eordered online tended to be from US places (actualy it's the one site).  I can't afford the shipping on top of the cost of the items themselves.  I have gone to the shop I frequent and asked them if they'd be able to get certain items in for me.  I also mentioned the price range I'd be able to pay.  This place tries to go to the local pagan community first to create jobs here before going further afield.  I'm not sure if you'd be comfortable doing the same for the shops around you.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:10:29 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;80854
I've gotten good stuff from the Witch of Forest Grove, whose new incarnation of her shop The Poisoner's Apothecary just opened up. The stock fluctuates since she makes/collects everything by hand, but the things I've purchased from her in the past were of high quality. (I'm waiting for her to put more of the beautiful wooden pentacles she makes up for sale.)

Have you tried any of her flying ointments?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:55:04 am by SunflowerP »
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:19:26 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;80854
Dude, I hear you.

My mom ran an occult bookshop, and most of her stock came from the States. The oils she got from Healing Scents though, which is Canadian. What kind of supplies were you looking for, anyway?

A quick Google search found this site, which purports to list retailers in Canada. I can't personally vouch for any of them, though.

I am primarily looking for jewelry, altar tools, as well as herbs, and oils for spellwork.

Her pentacles are awesome, just  the sort of thing I am looking for.

That last website is a fairly old list but worth going through.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:08:28 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;80948

Not Mama Fortuna, but I have tried Sarah's flying ointments.

The Witches' Ointment has thujone in it and has much the same effect on one's body as absinthe does. The buzz of absinthe for me had the pleasant lassitude that one gets from drinking most alcohol, without the nasty side effects, and everything I saw was much more vibrant, with more colors, and more lights. It's quite relaxing, but also a bit mind-blowing.

The ointment doesn't have the alcohol effects as much, but it does have the other effects. It's not as strong as the absinthe I've had, I found, and I've been able to put on quite a bit without any ill-effects.

The Mandrake one had the same effect on me that marijuana does, which was happy-sleepy. However, I was pretty tired when I tried it, so I do need to try it again when I'm a bit more awake and see what it does then.

I also own a jar of her Porta's flying ointment, but have yet to try it.

If you want to try flying ointments, I recommend trying Sarah's. She knows her stuff and the ointment is high quality.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 01:57:14 pm »
Quote from: Morag;81021
If you want to try flying ointments, I recommend trying Sarah's. She knows her stuff and the ointment is high quality.

Thanks, Morag!

Do you have a link for Sarah's?

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 02:00:29 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;81027
Thanks, Morag!

Do you have a link for Sarah's?

Oops, sorry. Sarah Lawless is The Witch of Forest Grove, who runs the Poisoner's Apothecary. I know her personally, so I just call her Sarah. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 02:20:53 pm »
Quote from: Morag;81028
Oops, sorry. Sarah Lawless is The Witch of Forest Grove, who runs the Poisoner's Apothecary. I know her personally, so I just call her Sarah. :)

Ah.  Thanks.  Sorry I didn't catch that.

By the way, I started a thread last night about flying ointments, since I'd like to pursue this but don't want to derail this thread.  I have a couple of questions for you (and anyone else who responds) about your experiences, if you're interested in discussing them over there.

~ Aster

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »
Quote from: Morag;81021
Not Mama Fortuna, but I have tried Sarah's flying ointments.

The Witches' Ointment has thujone in it and has much the same effect on one's body as absinthe does. The buzz of absinthe for me had the pleasant lassitude that one gets from drinking most alcohol, without the nasty side effects, and everything I saw was much more vibrant, with more colors, and more lights. It's quite relaxing, but also a bit mind-blowing.

The ointment doesn't have the alcohol effects as much, but it does have the other effects. It's not as strong as the absinthe I've had, I found, and I've been able to put on quite a bit without any ill-effects.

The Mandrake one had the same effect on me that marijuana does, which was happy-sleepy. However, I was pretty tired when I tried it, so I do need to try it again when I'm a bit more awake and see what it does then.

I also own a jar of her Porta's flying ointment, but have yet to try it.

I'm looking at perhaps getting her sampler, all four varieties in a roll-on stick format. What sort of documentation does she send withem, nice clear directions for use?

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 04:09:06 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;80948

That's actually the very next thing on my list! I needed to check in with my neurologist first - I have seizures sometimes, so it felt best to play it safe.

I'm glad to have been able to read Morag's reactions, actually!

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:45 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;81035
Ah.  Thanks.  Sorry I didn't catch that.

By the way, I started a thread last night about flying ointments, since I'd like to pursue this but don't want to derail this thread.  I have a couple of questions for you (and anyone else who responds) about your experiences, if you're interested in discussing them over there.

~ Aster

No worries. :)

I'll head over to that thread now. I'm not sure how much more help I'll be, but I'll try.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 08:49:46 pm »
Quote from: Vitkyng;81048
I'm looking at perhaps getting her sampler, all four varieties in a roll-on stick format. What sort of documentation does she send withem, nice clear directions for use?

The ones I have didn't come with separate documentation, but there are contraindications on the labels on the jars as well as the ingredient list.

She also has instructions on her site, which read:

Safe for use multiple times a month. Safe to use in conjunction with alcohol.  Apply a small circle as a test patch before ritual use in case of any reactions. Apply a pea-sized amount the first time. Effects may take 30 minutes to 2 hours to appear depending on sex, weight, and tolerance and may last 1-6 hours. You can use up to five applications for one use. Results are better when ointment use is combined with trance-inducing activities such as chanting, dancing, swaying, or drumming. To reduce effects, wash the application areas with warm soapy water, drink plenty of water, and avoid fatty foods.

This article by her is well worth a read, too.

That about covers it, honestly. When it comes to reactions between the ointments and specific drugs, one would have to do one's own research there. The best places to apply the ointments include the pulse points on the wrist, the base of the neck, the base of the spine, and the bottoms of one's feet -- but not all at the same time if it's the first time you're using the ointment. Start small; build up.

The other main thing to note is that the Mandrake ointment is safe for sex magic (read: use on genitals) but the others are not.

I hope that helps. :)

(Side note, she ran out of samplers today and isn't sure when she'll have more in stock.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Tags: