collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 13 Sept 2019: $656 donated. $6 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Canadian online retailers  (Read 1444 times)

Vitkyng

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Canadian online retailers
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:49:54 am »
This is for the other Canadian pagans out there, and well anyone that shops online.

My local pagan store has quite a nice selection of inventory, but I often find myself shopping for items online. The problem I am finding is that, living north of the border, the shipping cost for many retailers matches the prices of what I am purchasing. Example, 13moons.com has some fantastic items but minimum shipping starts at $21 and climbs rapidly.

So, does anyone have any pagan/occult retailers that they know of on this side of the border with a good selection if inventory available online?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:51:12 am by Vitkyng »

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 67
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:30:24 pm »
Quote from: Vitkyng;80797
This is for the other Canadian pagans out there, and well anyone that shops online.

My local pagan store has quite a nice selection of inventory, but I often find myself shopping for items online. The problem I am finding is that, living north of the border, the shipping cost for many retailers matches the prices of what I am purchasing. Example, 13moons.com has some fantastic items but minimum shipping starts at $21 and climbs rapidly.

So, does anyone have any pagan/occult retailers that they know of on this side of the border with a good selection if inventory available online?

 
Dude, I hear you.

I've gotten good stuff from the Witch of Forest Grove, whose new incarnation of her shop The Poisoner's Apothecary just opened up. The stock fluctuates since she makes/collects everything by hand, but the things I've purchased from her in the past were of high quality. (I'm waiting for her to put more of the beautiful wooden pentacles she makes up for sale.)

My mom ran an occult bookshop, and most of her stock came from the States. The oils she got from Healing Scents though, which is Canadian. What kind of supplies were you looking for, anyway?

A quick Google search found this site, which purports to list retailers in Canada. I can't personally vouch for any of them, though.

PhantomQueen

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 201
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:52:45 pm »
Quote from: Vitkyng;80797
This is for the other Canadian pagans out there, and well anyone that shops online.

So, does anyone have any pagan/occult retailers that they know of on this side of the border with a good selection if inventory available online?

 
The few items I'v eordered online tended to be from US places (actualy it's the one site).  I can't afford the shipping on top of the cost of the items themselves.  I have gone to the shop I frequent and asked them if they'd be able to get certain items in for me.  I also mentioned the price range I'd be able to pay.  This place tries to go to the local pagan community first to create jobs here before going further afield.  I'm not sure if you'd be comfortable doing the same for the shops around you.

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2823
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 43
    • View Profile
Canadian online retailers
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:10:29 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;80854
I've gotten good stuff from the Witch of Forest Grove, whose new incarnation of her shop The Poisoner's Apothecary just opened up. The stock fluctuates since she makes/collects everything by hand, but the things I've purchased from her in the past were of high quality. (I'm waiting for her to put more of the beautiful wooden pentacles she makes up for sale.)


Have you tried any of her flying ointments?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:55:04 am by SunflowerP »
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Vitkyng

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:19:26 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;80854
Dude, I hear you.

I've gotten good stuff from the Witch of Forest Grove, whose new incarnation of her shop The Poisoner's Apothecary just opened up. The stock fluctuates since she makes/collects everything by hand, but the things I've purchased from her in the past were of high quality. (I'm waiting for her to put more of the beautiful wooden pentacles she makes up for sale.)

My mom ran an occult bookshop, and most of her stock came from the States. The oils she got from Healing Scents though, which is Canadian. What kind of supplies were you looking for, anyway?

A quick Google search found this site, which purports to list retailers in Canada. I can't personally vouch for any of them, though.


I am primarily looking for jewelry, altar tools, as well as herbs, and oils for spellwork.

Her pentacles are awesome, just  the sort of thing I am looking for.

That last website is a fairly old list but worth going through.

Morag

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: deep in the woods
  • Posts: 2365
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 97
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:08:28 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;80948
Have you tried any of her flying ointments?

 
Not Mama Fortuna, but I have tried Sarah's flying ointments.

The Witches' Ointment has thujone in it and has much the same effect on one's body as absinthe does. The buzz of absinthe for me had the pleasant lassitude that one gets from drinking most alcohol, without the nasty side effects, and everything I saw was much more vibrant, with more colors, and more lights. It's quite relaxing, but also a bit mind-blowing.

The ointment doesn't have the alcohol effects as much, but it does have the other effects. It's not as strong as the absinthe I've had, I found, and I've been able to put on quite a bit without any ill-effects.

The Mandrake one had the same effect on me that marijuana does, which was happy-sleepy. However, I was pretty tired when I tried it, so I do need to try it again when I'm a bit more awake and see what it does then.

I also own a jar of her Porta's flying ointment, but have yet to try it.


If you want to try flying ointments, I recommend trying Sarah's. She knows her stuff and the ointment is high quality.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic | Morag's Spindle
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2823
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 43
    • View Profile
Canadian online retailers
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 01:57:14 pm »
Quote from: Morag;81021
If you want to try flying ointments, I recommend trying Sarah's. She knows her stuff and the ointment is high quality.

Thanks, Morag!
 
Do you have a link for Sarah's?
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Morag

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: deep in the woods
  • Posts: 2365
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 97
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 02:00:29 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;81027
Thanks, Morag!
 
Do you have a link for Sarah's?

 
Oops, sorry. Sarah Lawless is The Witch of Forest Grove, who runs the Poisoner's Apothecary. I know her personally, so I just call her Sarah. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic | Morag's Spindle
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2823
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 43
    • View Profile
Canadian online retailers
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 02:20:53 pm »
Quote from: Morag;81028
Oops, sorry. Sarah Lawless is The Witch of Forest Grove, who runs the Poisoner's Apothecary. I know her personally, so I just call her Sarah. :)

Ah.  Thanks.  Sorry I didn't catch that.

By the way, I started a thread last night about flying ointments, since I'd like to pursue this but don't want to derail this thread.  I have a couple of questions for you (and anyone else who responds) about your experiences, if you're interested in discussing them over there.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Vitkyng

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »
Quote from: Morag;81021
Not Mama Fortuna, but I have tried Sarah's flying ointments.

The Witches' Ointment has thujone in it and has much the same effect on one's body as absinthe does. The buzz of absinthe for me had the pleasant lassitude that one gets from drinking most alcohol, without the nasty side effects, and everything I saw was much more vibrant, with more colors, and more lights. It's quite relaxing, but also a bit mind-blowing.

The ointment doesn't have the alcohol effects as much, but it does have the other effects. It's not as strong as the absinthe I've had, I found, and I've been able to put on quite a bit without any ill-effects.

The Mandrake one had the same effect on me that marijuana does, which was happy-sleepy. However, I was pretty tired when I tried it, so I do need to try it again when I'm a bit more awake and see what it does then.

I also own a jar of her Porta's flying ointment, but have yet to try it.


If you want to try flying ointments, I recommend trying Sarah's. She knows her stuff and the ointment is high quality.

 
I'm looking at perhaps getting her sampler, all four varieties in a roll-on stick format. What sort of documentation does she send withem, nice clear directions for use?

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 67
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 04:09:06 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;80948
Have you tried any of her flying ointments?

 
That's actually the very next thing on my list! I needed to check in with my neurologist first - I have seizures sometimes, so it felt best to play it safe.

I'm glad to have been able to read Morag's reactions, actually!

Morag

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: deep in the woods
  • Posts: 2365
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 97
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:45 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;81035
Ah.  Thanks.  Sorry I didn't catch that.

By the way, I started a thread last night about flying ointments, since I'd like to pursue this but don't want to derail this thread.  I have a couple of questions for you (and anyone else who responds) about your experiences, if you're interested in discussing them over there.

~ Aster

 
No worries. :)

I'll head over to that thread now. I'm not sure how much more help I'll be, but I'll try.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic | Morag's Spindle
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: deep in the woods
  • Posts: 2365
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 97
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
Re: Canadian online retailers
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 08:49:46 pm »
Quote from: Vitkyng;81048
I'm looking at perhaps getting her sampler, all four varieties in a roll-on stick format. What sort of documentation does she send withem, nice clear directions for use?

 
The ones I have didn't come with separate documentation, but there are contraindications on the labels on the jars as well as the ingredient list.

She also has instructions on her site, which read:

Quote
Safe for use multiple times a month. Safe to use in conjunction with alcohol.  Apply a small circle as a test patch before ritual use in case of any reactions. Apply a pea-sized amount the first time. Effects may take 30 minutes to 2 hours to appear depending on sex, weight, and tolerance and may last 1-6 hours. You can use up to five applications for one use. Results are better when ointment use is combined with trance-inducing activities such as chanting, dancing, swaying, or drumming. To reduce effects, wash the application areas with warm soapy water, drink plenty of water, and avoid fatty foods.


This article by her is well worth a read, too.

That about covers it, honestly. When it comes to reactions between the ointments and specific drugs, one would have to do one's own research there. The best places to apply the ointments include the pulse points on the wrist, the base of the neck, the base of the spine, and the bottoms of one's feet -- but not all at the same time if it's the first time you're using the ointment. Start small; build up.

The other main thing to note is that the Mandrake ointment is safe for sex magic (read: use on genitals) but the others are not.

I hope that helps. :)


(Side note, she ran out of samplers today and isn't sure when she'll have more in stock.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic | Morag's Spindle
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
668 Views
Last post June 30, 2012, 09:45:15 am
by Selendrile
5 Replies
633 Views
Last post May 24, 2015, 11:04:05 pm
by juniper.
12 Replies
1880 Views
Last post October 20, 2015, 07:37:08 pm
by Castus
4 Replies
2140 Views
Last post October 13, 2016, 02:48:02 pm
by Demophon
8 Replies
681 Views
Last post August 09, 2017, 03:26:39 pm
by SunflowerP

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall