collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Breathing, grounding, centering, meditatio, sexual trauma, dissasociation etc  (Read 958 times)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
So, eventualy I wan't to learn to meditate. I'm going to start just by learning to breathe properly for a while and then build on that with grounding, centering etc.

However I have a history of severe sexual trauma and severe disassociation. I've worked though a lot of this, had a lot of hard core therapy etc but I'm aware that when one learns to get in touch/conect with ones body unresolved stuff comes up because physical trauma is stored in the body. Does anyone know anything about this or have any tips for dealing with it if it does happen.

I don't want to stop it happening I don't think, because if it's there it needs dealing with but I just want to be able to handle in in a healthy way that helps me heal and deal

Thanks
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: maybeimawitch;108390
Does anyone know anything about this or have any tips for dealing with it if it does happen.

(I feel I need to disclaimer here: I am not a trained mental health professional, but I have talked through this with several, and worked with at least two students in my tradition who had significant abuse or body dysmorphia in their backgrounds.)

First, go really slow. Don't add stuff until you're really sure that you're comfortable with the stuff you've been doing (and then some: getting to a point of comfort and then doing another 5+ sessions before adding a new thing might not be a bad rule of thumb.)

Second: by and large, the people I've talked to with significant abuse histories may find grounding and centering extremely difficult (in the sense of being present in their body) but not generally triggering as long as they're in charge of the process. The times they've had a harder time have been working with other people directing the process or if they were in a situation that was either physically too similar to the abuse memories or that involved physical contact they weren't comfortable with.

One thing to try is to focus on a specific part of your body at a time (feeling very present, say, in your hand, or your foot, rather than trying to be present in your entire body all at once.) Start with a bit of you that you feel will be easier. (This works really well for some people, and for others, it really doesn't. Try it once or twice if you don't have a really major problem with it, but if it doesn't work, move on to something else.)

Third: When you start doing this kind of thing, it can be a good idea to ask someone who knows you well and who interacts with you regularly to keep an eye out for any new stuff coming up that you may not spot yourself. It's easier if this is someone who sees you in person, but a friend you talk to regularly online can work.) Sometimes someone can spot signs of increased tension/early warning of problems you may not see. (Like you being more on edge, or reacting to a specific thing in a different way, etc.)

The thing I'd be most careful of is stepping from centering and grounding into anything like meditation or visualisation. It's not that that's not possible, but rather that both are more likely to have things that might be triggering. Very small steps are probably a smart idea.

Finally, if you're still seeing a therapist or support group or whatever, this is definitely something to discuss with them. (You don't need to be specific about what you want to do with it or Pagan-related uses, you can just talk about wanting to try deep breathing, etc.) I know there's also books out there that are very good on this, but I don't have titles on hand.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Jenett;108396

Thank you so much for this answer it is really helpfull
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Jenett;108396

Jenett would you mind if I copied and pasted this (or large parts of it) on to my blog?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: maybeimawitch;108524
Jenett would you mind if I copied and pasted this (or large parts of it) on to my blog?

Thanks for asking.

If it's going somewhere non-public (and that includes access-only posts somewhere like Dreamwidth), I'm fine with it being quoted (with a link back to the original source, aka this thread.)

However, if it's going somewhere public, I'd rather people just post a link to the thread, so they can see the conversation in context.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: