"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Best ways to honor Loki?  (Read 2946 times)

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Best ways to honor Loki?
« on: July 08, 2012, 10:54:52 pm »
Hello all!  My daughter loves mythology, and I've been reading it to her since she was a baby.  We've always enjoyed the Norse god/desses, and so recently I picked up Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaimon.  She adored it, and particularly developed a love for and connection with Loki.  She's only wanted to read mythology about him lately.  She's always been a bit scared or storms and thunder, but one morning after a particularly bad one, she told me that the storm was "Thor fighting the Giants.  But don't worry, Loki was in my room protecting me and my sister".  When she learned that Wednesday was named for Odin, and Thursday for Thor, she found it very unfair that Loki did not have a day, and demanded ideas to celebrate "Loki's Day".

What all this is getting at is that I really need some advice on how to help her honor Loki.  I really want to encourage her to follow this connection; but honestly I don't know much about the Norse deities or the best way to honor or reach out to them.  I'd like to learn some culturally appropriate things rather than use a Neo-Wiccan veneer, but full Reconstructionism is a tad too complicated for this project.  She has an altar in her room (right now, it houses her rock collection and a Halloween snowglobe).  She is four years old, but is quite advanaced for her age, so anything elementary-level should work fine with my help.  Any ideas for simple rituals or offerings to honor this deity she so admires?  Thanks for the help!
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Best ways to honor Loki?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:19:50 pm »
Quote from: MysticalMama;63322

Saturday could be Loki's day.  Saturn isn't really a Scandinavian God.  

Galina Krasskova has a blog and wrote a devotional book about Loki.  Here is her blog for more information:  http://krasskova.weebly.com/.  

She's doing a month of honoring Loki this month.  You could email her and ask her what to do for a child.  

Just for your information, among some Recons in the Heathen community, honoring Loki is a controversial issue.  And so is Galina Krasskova.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:17:20 pm by SunflowerP »
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Best ways to honor Loki?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:55:03 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;63325
Saturday could be Loki's day.  Saturn isn't really a Scandinavian God.  

Galina Krasskova has a blog and wrote a devotional book about Loki.  Here is her blog for more information:  http://krasskova.weebly.com/.  

She's doing a month of honoring Loki this month.  You could email her and ask her what to do for a child.  

Just for your information, among some Recons in the Heathen community, honoring Loki is a controversial issue.  And so is Galina Krasskova.

Within the heathen community Galina isn't really anymore controversial than Mark Stinson, Steve McNallen,  the folkish vs universalists, Skadi Forum, etc. People have opinions and express them, they have personal traditions and defend/endorse them.

Ecauldron naturally has a larger pagan/wicca based audience than heathen one, and Galina is more popular with that crowd, so it may appear like she's the blacksheep of all of heathendom. But trust me, everything is controversial in heathenry. :) And I do think Galina is more vocal about being "victimized". (Though, Stinson wrote a huge long blog about getting kicked out of the AFA and calls anyone who challenges him a troll...so, maybe not.)

MysticalMomma, your daughter will probably really enjoy the Ash Lad tale.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Tags: