collapse

Author Topic: An experience I thought Id never experience  (Read 3328 times)

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
An experience I thought Id never experience
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:57:17 am »
hey everyone :) okay so I have a little question to ask everyone. its a question about faires (the fae) and I dont know  how to react to a situation that happen. Alright it goes like this, I built a fairy garden for the fun of it ,inside one of my rooms. I have two little houses and left out honey couple nights ago. As I was going to sleep I was very unsure of what was to happen. So as I got up, in the morning I saw a cloud of mist. I dont know if this was simply just my eyes adjusting or if it was something that one could not explain. So I got up and got dressed but as I went to open my closet I saw one of the houses on the ground. I was shocked. The house was on a table in the corner which was near the closet before I went asleep. Then in the morning it was in a spot of where it is merley impossible to land even if it did fall. I dont know how to re act to all of this it is very new to me. Do I keep leaving offerings or do I just simply let it do its thing. Anywho blessed be, sorry if I seemed all over the place lol :)

faefawn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dear-sweetlings.com
Re: An experience I thought Id never experience
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:24:31 pm »
Quote from: addy;11088
hey everyone :) okay so I have a little question to ask everyone. its a question about faires (the fae) and I dont know  how to react to a situation that happen. Alright it goes like this, I built a fairy garden for the fun of it ,inside one of my rooms. I have two little houses and left out honey couple nights ago. As I was going to sleep I was very unsure of what was to happen. So as I got up, in the morning I saw a cloud of mist. I dont know if this was simply just my eyes adjusting or if it was something that one could not explain. So I got up and got dressed but as I went to open my closet I saw one of the houses on the ground. I was shocked. The house was on a table in the corner which was near the closet before I went asleep. Then in the morning it was in a spot of where it is merley impossible to land even if it did fall. I dont know how to re act to all of this it is very new to me. Do I keep leaving offerings or do I just simply let it do its thing. Anywho blessed be, sorry if I seemed all over the place lol :)

Ah the faeries, they do like to move things around!
Was the house just laying there or was it upright, as though it had been placed? It seems like you've definitely attracted them, if you're happy to keep working with them then just keep leaving little things for them. You can try leaving milk out for them.

Blessings,
Juli

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 05:00:31 pm »
Quote from: faefawn;11237
Ah the faeries, they do like to move things around!
Was the house just laying there or was it upright, as though it had been placed? It seems like you've definitely attracted them, if you're happy to keep working with them then just keep leaving little things for them. You can try leaving milk out for them.

Blessings,
Juli

thank you so much for responding :)! and the house was was up right. It was actually made out of a bird house an moss as the roof. and when I woke up it was lying on its back with the hole side. (the bird house hole part) also is there a way I can contact with them? cause I used a pendlum and she said her name was jolly and she wants her friend to move in whos name is Zik.And sure thing Ill leave out milk tonite :) thank you so much for the advice blessed be <3 :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:00:59 pm by addy »

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »
Quote from: addy;11088

The honey could have attracted a rat or mouse, which knocked over the house.  

The kind of cutesy-wutesy little fluffy fairies who would actually like to live in such a dollhouse are primarily a literary invention.  Fairies in folklore were, on the whole, either regal trooping sorts who aren't going to be impressed by such things, or solitary fairies who aren't usually friendly.  Brownies have their own deal going, and if you really want one around, it's not very polite to try and shove them into some kind of infantalized paradigm.

In the folk groups that actually believed in and interacted with fairies, milk and honey were usually set out to propitiate them -- that is, to keep them happy so that they wouldn't start causing damage.  Even those fairies that are more kindly disposed towards humans are fundamentally *alien*.  There is a consistent taboo against thanking fairies if they happen to do you a good turn, because it implies that you're in some kind of reciprocal relationship with them.

Despite what crappy Neopagan books and fantasy fiction for small children claims, it was not considered a good idea to try to communicate with fairies.  All the folklore states that they are touchy at the best of times and, again, very very alien in their attitudes.  Leaving out milk and honey is pretty much the limit of safe practices -- trying to attract their attention is a chancy thing at best, and it is *not* a good idea to start thinking that they're somehow obligated to communicate with you.  That is their call, not yours, and it will happen on their terms -- which might not be very happy or comfortable for you.  It is never, ever a good idea to try and force some kind of interaction with them, because their ideas of polite and respectful are not human, and they will retaliate at the slightest offense.

I recommend you do some more extensive reading on actual folk beliefs before continuing down this path.  Katharine Briggs's Encyclopedia of Fairies, Carole Silver's Strange and Secret Peoples, and Diane Purkiss's At the Bottom of the Garden are the most accessible and necessary texts.

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:01:05 pm »
Quote from: catja6;11279

That is a  excellent point!!! :) I dont think it was a rat because the house was nearly at the other end of the room. Then again it could be possible. I actually rememeberd that the night this happend, there was no honey. There was a shiny little stone that I had. I thought there was honey but there wasn't D: I wrote that wrong. Anywho, ya I think media and children stories make things alittle bit nice and far fetched. Just like they make witches look bad. So I will take your word :) I will take some time to research it and stuff. And  I left the house out just for fun. So I think ill just let a/the fairy do what she/he wants, and if they want to comminicate with me I shall let them. Also by saying "let them do what they want" I mean like if they want to live in the house they can, but again it may be too small which could be rude becase its like trapping them. Thank you for your support and your lovely insight :) I will do my research before things get little bit too much or things end up bad :) thanks again and blessed be :) Oh one more thing maybe the house was on the floor because they didnt like the house.

faefawn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dear-sweetlings.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 12:08:10 pm »
Quote from: catja6;11279
The honey could have attracted a rat or mouse, which knocked over the house.  

The kind of cutesy-wutesy little fluffy fairies who would actually like to live in such a dollhouse are primarily a literary invention.  Fairies in folklore were, on the whole, either regal trooping sorts who aren't going to be impressed by such things, or solitary fairies who aren't usually friendly.  Brownies have their own deal going, and if you really want one around, it's not very polite to try and shove them into some kind of infantalized paradigm.

In the folk groups that actually believed in and interacted with fairies, milk and honey were usually set out to propitiate them -- that is, to keep them happy so that they wouldn't start causing damage.  Even those fairies that are more kindly disposed towards humans are fundamentally *alien*.  There is a consistent taboo against thanking fairies if they happen to do you a good turn, because it implies that you're in some kind of reciprocal relationship with them.

Despite what crappy Neopagan books and fantasy fiction for small children claims, it was not considered a good idea to try to communicate with fairies.  All the folklore states that they are touchy at the best of times and, again, very very alien in their attitudes.  Leaving out milk and honey is pretty much the limit of safe practices -- trying to attract their attention is a chancy thing at best, and it is *not* a good idea to start thinking that they're somehow obligated to communicate with you.  That is their call, not yours, and it will happen on their terms -- which might not be very happy or comfortable for you.  It is never, ever a good idea to try and force some kind of interaction with them, because their ideas of polite and respectful are not human, and they will retaliate at the slightest offense.

I recommend you do some more extensive reading on actual folk beliefs before continuing down this path.  Katharine Briggs's Encyclopedia of Fairies, Carole Silver's Strange and Secret Peoples, and Diane Purkiss's At the Bottom of the Garden are the most accessible and necessary texts.

I'll back this up, there are a lot of different beings that fall under the label 'fae' and even 'faerie' and many of them you really do not want to mess with, they have their own laws and ways of doing things.
What you could try, if you'd like to foster this kind of friendship, is try making some offerings to elementals instead. From my experience they're not as touchy as the fae, the ones I've had dealings with (and still do) are generally quiet, but have more of that playfulness that is stereotypically associated with faeries. I've found it quite easy to make them feel welcome by doing things like tending plants and the garden, leaving little offerings outside and generally spending time around nature and appreciating it.

It's my opinion that you can make relationships with faeries, I've done so and had help from them many times, but like catja6 says they have their own way of doing things and their way might not be your way. Do some research and then make an informed decision :)

Tags: