collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: A little study on Paganism  (Read 1459 times)

Comperio

• View Profile
A little study on Paganism
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:18:16 pm »
Hey, im here to ask some questions about Paganism because im going to do a presentation about it for my Sociology class (we're doing religion and society). To be honest  as im writing this I actually dont have any questions, I know that Paganism is a term that covers various different religions and I think most of them are decentralised and apply on an individual basis more often than a communal one, or that may just be Wicca.

Basically I want to learn kind of like the basic outline or beliefs that the different religions that fall under Paganism hold, the things that they have in common and the things that apply uniquely only to that branch. Or any other sort of information you can give me, the presentation is only meant to be a small part of it, I need to learn a lot about Paganism to answer questions and disscussions.

Comperio

• View Profile
Re: A little study on Paganism
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »
Also, jsut so you know, while this is part of my school work I am genuinly interested in Neo-paganism beliefs. It's something different than any of the other, larger religions.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:08:38 pm »
Quote from: Comperio;39652

I would suggest you read this website's Pagan Primer and Guide for Teens and see what that gives you in terms of information and the ability to ask more specific questions.

http://www.ecauldron.net/newpagan.php
http://www.ecauldron.net/teensandpaganismfaq.php
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: FlameKeeping
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:11:14 pm »
Quote from: Comperio;39652

Basically I want to learn kind of like the basic outline or beliefs that the different religions that fall under Paganism hold,.

Here is one place to start: http://www.ecauldron.net/teensandpaganismfaq.php

(Not just for teens!)

Comperio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:57 am »
Thanks for the help, now some more detailed questions:

1) How large do you guys think is the influence and general numbers in terms of believers are concernign the Church of All Worlds?

2) What are the attractions of reconstruction religions like Asatru, Religio Romana, Hellenismos etc..

3) Do you guys know a website where I can get some statistics like numbers of people who identify themselves as Neo-pagan/Pagan?

4) Being the most recognisable Neo-pagan religions, how popular is Wicca?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:14:52 am »
Quote from: Comperio;41115
1) How large do you guys think is the influence and general numbers in terms of believers are concernign the Church of All Worlds?

Relatively low today. However, because The Green Egg was one of the main means of communication for Pagans in the 1960s/1970s it had a larger influence then.

2) What are the attractions of reconstruction religions like Asatru, Religio Romana, Hellenismos etc..

I have no idea how to answer such a question without trying to write a book on each religion you mentioned. After all, many books have been written on the attractions of Christianity.

3) Do you guys know a website where I can get some statistics like numbers of people who identify themselves as Neo-pagan/Pagan?

There are no accurate statistics on this. There are far too many separate religious groups under the Neo-Pagan/Pagan umbrella, few of these groups keep such records, and many people are "Pagan" without being a member of a particular group.

The various forms of Wicca are likely the largest single segment of Neo-Pagans.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »
Quote from: Comperio;41115
Thanks for the help, now some more detailed questions:

You might want to change your questions somewhat - these are going to get a very limited number of responses.  #1 - this is a very outdated question.  #2 - only recons will have an answer to this, and then only to one of the religions mentioned.  #3 - these things aren't tracked - too many people in the closet to some extent.  #4 - again, not tracked.  Wicca is very obvious and in the media, but many of us aren't wiccan and have no clue how popular it is.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Tags: