collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Your friendly neighborhood house spirits  (Read 1079 times)

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Your friendly neighborhood house spirits
« on: September 01, 2018, 04:09:29 am »
Anyone have a spirit that lives in their home? If so, what are they like and what do they generally do? Do you have a regular ritual or offering you give them? What role do they play in your home life?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: Your friendly neighborhood house spirits
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 04:38:21 am »
Anyone have a spirit that lives in their home? If so, what are they like and what do they generally do? Do you have a regular ritual or offering you give them? What role do they play in your home life?

Yes. I have two distinct presences here and I think there may be a third hiding amongst the general spirit white noise. Not entirely surprising in a cottage that's nearly 300 years old.

At first one was seriously disruptive, things vanished and reappeared, weird noises etc etc but as I was renovating and changing the interior it was to be expected.  One person left and wouldn't come back in!

20 years later we have a "live and let live" arrangement. They don't interfere with me and in turn I leave them alone. It's taken a while and some firm communication to get to this state of affairs though. I did bring an artefact into the cottage once that had an attachment of its own and that really upset the status quo for a while. The artefact in the end had to go for the sake of domestic harmony.

I certainly don't give them offerings - I don't work with them nor do I allow them to interact with my world.

mona lizard

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan, worships coincidence
  • Preferred Pronouns: she or he
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 09:40:12 am »

Yes, I believe I have many various "spirits" that take shelter in my home. They are small bits of spirits rather than distinct beings, I think.

I always felt like there was something peculiar about my house that sometimes made it feel warm and crowded and sometimes threatening, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. Since then I have met a lot of people who are better than me at seeing the unseen, contacting spirits etc... And even know these people don't know each other, they have pretty much all told me the same thing: my very high empathy, natural leadership and other traits make me pick up all kinds of energy wherever I go, and then they all come to my home with me and stay here. I don't know exactly what kind of spirits they are, but I can feel, especially when I meditate and divine in my home, that they are very small and many. One of my friends who slept over one compared them to Ghibli sootballs. Another person said some were negative and some were neutral. I don't really car what exactly they are, as I've never heard of spirits that small, I don't mind letting them live with me!

They are lively and while I don't feel like I do "rituals" and "offerings", they do react to what happens in my house (make noises, making change in my objects, or even sometimes just influence my feelings) so I act consequently. They are more positive when my house is clean than when it is messy. If the furniture stays arranged in the same way for too long, they start being "sad" and giving me grief so I change it often. I need to ask them to be quiet if I seek a ritual where I do not want them to interfere. Sometimes when I made a good cake or bread I will leave a little bit of it for them, I feel like I'm sharing rather than "offering" though.

When I cleanse my house because I need some fresh neutral energy I first use a bell. This way I can feel them crawling and hiding in the wall and they can came back later, I don't want to banish them or anything. One time a friend went and cleansed my house for me and it was quiet for a while but they came back one by one, even though it took some time.

They're not from my home though, I picked them up without noticing so they follow me everywhere I live as long as I move my belongings. They were already in my previous apartment. Next time I move I intend to get rid of a lot of my belongings so I expect my next place to have less of these little "spirit insects" but I know some of them will come with me anyways.

If any of you know what these might be I'd be glad to hear your theories but as long as I can feel their presence I don't mind not exactly knowing what they're all about.
- 20 year old artist from France, childlike wonder! -

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 10:09:52 am »

If any of you know what these might be I'd be glad to hear your theories but as long as I can feel their presence I don't mind not exactly knowing what they're all about.

I have something similar ( part of  the spirit "white noise"). Mine are like astral mosquitoes, annoying as anything but easily brushed away. I believe that they feed on the energy produced from workings - it definitely seems to attract them.

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 02:42:43 pm »
One of my friends who slept over one compared them to Ghibli sootballs.

I am so borrowing this terminology, if that's okay with you.

My house functions similarly, except I do have a pretty good idea of my entire population of spirits, as I must invite them in.  Quite a few entities have found sanctuary where I live over the years; most are what I would call "come and go" as they have a bed to sleep in here, but most certainly are not confined to here.  I've had more than one friend call my house a spirit sanctuary, and I talk to the spirits-in-residence pretty much all the time.  Little notes on what reminds me of them, joking little call-outs if they don't mind that sort of thing, respectful murmurings.  The frequent fliers tend to lead me to stones they claim as their own, so sometimes the SO comes in to find me laying on the floor cuddling with and talking to piles of small animal carvings, or stuffed animals, or house plants, or I've face planted in front of the fish tanks and am having a great conversation with Miss Mira, whose greater entity has come home to rest a while and wants some energetic TLC.

As for an actual spirit of the house, I'd say the closest I've come is working with the genus locii of the neighborhood.  I'd been spending a lot of time wondering if I'd hear from someone like her, and after about a year of living here, she crept into the edges of the house.  Now she's all over, kind of like a crawling vine of energy across the space and when I go for walks through the neighborhood, she lends me her eyes and we exist together.  She's been feeling fainter this summer, because it's been too hot for people to be enjoying her space, and she seems to wax and wane with the energy of the neighborhood.  With everyone holed up in their nice AC'd houses, it's been so quiet outside.  No walkers, no kids out to play, no major neighborhood projects, because nobody likes a heat index of 99 in Michigan.  She has a delightful hedgehog plushie as her physical marker in the house, and I have been spending a lot of time wrapped up with her, checking in with her, especially on the hot and miserable stretches.   
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:54:10 pm »

Well there's always been 'Johnathon' for as long as we've been here, then of course our more recent semi-permanent resident. Johnathon likes to slam cabinet doors, knock things off shelves occasionally, things of that nature which are mostly harmless albeit annoying.  No regular rituals or anything of that nature.  He keeps his distance from things like that. 
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 02:19:45 am »
Anyone have a spirit that lives in their home?

Not anymore, at least I don't think.

My Christian grandmother lived with us when I was in high school. She was blind and disabled, and was unable to live independently. After her husband (my grandfather) passed away, she moved in with us, and lived there for the rest of her life.

Despite being Christian, she was convinced that my grandfather's spirit was still hanging around, not "haunting" her per se, but keeping her company. Sometime she would talk to him late at night when nobody was around, and would blame him for letting cats into her room or messing with her belongings (in life, the two of them had a very dynamic and lively relationship, and often played such pranks on one another).

Now, one could argue that she was simply suffering from mental illness, but I'm inclined to differ. The woman had a genius level IQ, worked well into her 50s despite having permanent and full blindness from her teenage years onward, and could read braille and write in shorthand. Right up to the very end of her life, her wit was sharp as iron, and she would crack jokes, argue competently, and recall events from her youth in vivid detail; I don't think her belief that my grandfather's spirit was living with us was a product of madness, I think it was a genuine and well thought out spiritual conviction.

I'm also inclined to believe her. I knew both of them very well, and they were unbelievably attached to one another. Their love was deep, and he specifically felt an obligation to care for her due to her disabilities. I don't doubt one bit that he would have delayed his afterlife to wait for her.

Of course, now that she has passed away, I see no reason to think he would stick around any longer. He loved all of us, but the only one he ever interacted with as a spirit was her. \

So, not a "house spirit" in the sense of a otherworldly entity, but rather an ancestral spirit, who used to reside in my home.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 08:58:11 am »

Not a HOUSE spirit per say but I've been followed around by what my dad calls "the family ghost" since it slammed a door shut on my face as a toddler. The sounds harsh but they were concrete steps of fair size (I can't remember where they went, mum would know) and I was just barely walking. So I definitely count it as he saved my life.

His origin is hazy. Dad thinks he is an old relative, my uncle thinks its a previously pissy spirit that haunted their hay barn and turned nice after something happened (he hasn't elaborated on what happened). I call him Henry.

He is a butthead. If the haunting the barn origin story is true, it explains a lot of it. If we haven't talked to him or payed him any attention in a while he will steal important things, spook guests and generally just leave this oppressive hissy fit aura over the whole home. I try not to let it go that far, but if it does you have to tell him he is a good guy and we wouldn't have any kind of life without him etc. and usually make a food offering of sorts before what he stole comes back.

Aside from Henry I make regular honey offerings to House Sprites. That is more a leftover habit from living with my aunt Marilyn though. I've never noticed anything happening that could be attributed to actual House Sprites as she defined them.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 168
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal