Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Who are the God and Goddess to you?  (Read 2877 times)

Ask-Embla

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Who are the God and Goddess to you?
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:44:31 am »
For those of you that recognize one God and one Goddess above others (whether or not you see them as all gods and goddesses or just as your patrons or something else), who are they to you? Are they from a specific pantheon or just your own interpretations of your two central deities? What are your immediate word/image associations with them? When I first came into neopaganism, I felt a bit alienated by the idea of the Horned God and Triple Goddess, but recently I began to see it in a different, more familiar light. How about you?
Be kind to little animals / whatever sort they be / and give a stranded jellyfish / a shove into the sea.

MoonCrone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the God and Goddess to you?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:32:17 pm »
Quote from: Ask-Embla;59647
For those of you that recognize one God and one Goddess above others (whether or not you see them as all gods and goddesses or just as your patrons or something else), who are they to you? Are they from a specific pantheon or just your own interpretations of your two central deities? What are your immediate word/image associations with them? When I first came into neopaganism, I felt a bit alienated by the idea of the Horned God and Triple Goddess, but recently I began to see it in a different, more familiar light. How about you?

For me, this is kind-of an always-evolving, liquid situation and to try to describe it, to be honest, is a little... tough, but I'll have a go...  

My first Patron, way back in the 60's, was Lugh (who quite literally brought light into my darkness and cured me of my night terrors and made me love the night time above the day time with a passion)
but He has long since gone and dulled into the background and there have been many who have come and gone to replace him in the years that have followed.

If I had to have a Sacred She and a Sacred He at the top of the list today, then it would be Mother Earth and Green Man, I think, I have their images on my working space at all times.  :)  

But to be honest I don't have any sort of tier or ranking system going on as to who is the most powerful... the more worthy of my devotion... or however you want to put it...  
but what I do have is the NOW contact with which ever one it happens to be...depending on what's going on in my life...  
for instance, matters of the home are very much on my mind of late given that I am preparing to move house shortly, and Hestia looms large in that... She gives me hope and reassurances that all will go well because She knows how hard we have worked for it...
and while I am mourning the passing to Summerlands of a very dear friend, Anubis has been very supportive... He has given me the strength to cope through what has turned out to be one of the most challenging times in my life...

I think our choice or preference has little to do with what actually happens... I have long since learned to go with the flow and accept it... or not, at one's peril, perhaps...!
Just how it is for me.  ;)
It\'s all about the Ebb and Flow...

Abduzza

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »
How about you?

Interesting question. For me there is one ultimate Divinity known as Allah (The God) and the three other Goddesses that I work with are manifestations of the One God's creative act. But the Goddess known as Al-Lat, or the Mother by the ancients, was said to be the consort of Allah and chief intercessor to him. So I take the view that Al-Lat is the most direct manifestation of Allah's creative force and is more of an aspect of Allah himself then as a creation like Al-Uzza and Manat.

My views keep evolving too, but it's always good to think about what we believe and why.

Nellybird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »

I'm still figuring this one out, so it's good that this is getting me to think! For me, I tend to see them as a whole, and then in aspects. I view the genderless Divine as their basis, and then the God and Goddess as aspects of that Divine. I also view the God and Goddess in aspects, and I've chosen gods and goddesses from different pantheons to represent that. I have a pair for each of the four elements, as well as the sun and moon (and in my head, the sun and moon make up the fifth element, "spirit"). So, Sedna and Alignak would be the "water" aspects of the God and Goddess, to me. And then Amaterasu and Tsukiyomi would make up the "spirit" aspect.
The brain is wider than the sky.

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:27:08 pm »
When I first came into neopaganism, I felt a bit alienated by the idea of the Horned God and Triple Goddess, but recently I began to see it in a different, more familiar light. How about you?

I also didn't jive with this concept, and after a lot of searching, I finally decided to say Buggre Alle This and formulate my own "religion" instead of following someone else's list of gods. I've actually returned to a much more similar model of archetypes that I ever thought I would.

When I started out, I used a simple binary to show the contrasting aspects of Deity - "The Universe is a Unity Disguised as a Duality" - which I called the God and Goddess, but were a bit more conceptual and less gendered and anthropomorphic.

Now, besides the natural spirits of the land and living and dead things, I work with a "pantheon" of a number of Gods and Goddesses. I believe the Divine in the Universe displays as all sorts of individualities, and they've been shaped over the centuries by us. I have three primary Goddesses, which somewhat resemble the Triple Goddess, but certainly not in the typical interpretation. I also have three main Gods which speak to me as individuals but that others smoosh into the Horned God (fertility, strength, and wisdom, to be simplistic). I use a Northern-European conceptualization for my imagery and practice. I don't really use elements much.

Quote from: Abduzza
My views keep evolving too, but it's always good to think about what we believe and why.

Agreed.

Jewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 02:11:34 am »
For those of you that recognize one God and one Goddess above others (whether or not you see them as all gods and goddesses or just as your patrons or something else), who are they to you? Are they from a specific pantheon or just your own interpretations of your two central deities? What are your immediate word/image associations with them?

It took me years (about 6-7) to find my goddess, Persephone, who to me is a great symbol of inner strength. Any god has yet to show himself to me after ten years.
This is not the place I thought it was.

Zythan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »
How about you?

Although I'm relatively new to Paganism, I've recently felt a calling towards Odin and the Norse pantheon. Specifically Odin, however. As I read more of the myths and sagas associated with the Norse, I've begun to think of Him and the pantheon regularly throughout my life as a symbol of strength, perseverance, and the seeking of knowledge. I, too didn't sit perfectly with the Horned God and Triple Goddess, so I've come up with my own way of viewing things to make it connect with me and still stay true to my roots.

Tags: