Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: What is the one thing you can't work without?  (Read 5525 times)

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
Re: What is the one thing you can't work without?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 09:32:33 pm »
Quote from: fallenangel;55044
That's really interesting....I love how a few people have mentioned the bug-out/survival bags. I am going to school for Emergency Management...and I wish more people were prepared in the event that something would happen.

I live with a guy who was trained by the government to survive anywhere with almost nothing to start with.  It gets funny sometimes - give him topo map and a compass and he can get you anywhere, but I navigate roads MUCH better.  Fortunately he listens to me when I say "go that way, it has to be that way".  He hates not having bags ready.  I even got a good survival knife (and not one with 15 functions - a real survival knife) in my stocking at winter solstice one year.

I think the most important thing is to give it some thought, so that you already know to grab the bags, the pets and run.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:43:36 am »
Quote from: Wickerman;55054
As a law enforcement officer, I have to agree.

What's in your bug-out bag?
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 03:54:36 am »
Quote from: fallenangel;54954
I am curious to see what other's can't work without...

I have been thinking about this question for days now and I still don't have a satisfactory answer. I don't have an emergency bag or anything; here in the Netherlands, I'd only need it in case of a zombie apocalypse and if that happens, I will make time to get some weapons and provisions together.

If people and pets are safe, I'd grab my phone. My laptop has some files I would probably really need and would hate to loose but I don't care about them enough to risk my life for. My phone helps me connect to the internet and it has my schedule and contacts on it. It would be hard to get through the first few days without it. So I would grab that.

Now the hard part; the pagan part. I have so many items, books, print-outs, etc. that I love and use during rituals, for spell work or just to gain knowledge from. I would hate, hate, hate, having to work without them... but I would let them burn to a crisp if it came to it. The material stuff can be replaced (as much as it would pain me to have to do so). I'm pagan through and through. I can pray and hold ritual without all those items. I might grab my portable altar kit because it's easy to reach and it would allow me to practice the basics of my Craft without having to get supplies right away. But if it came to it, I would leave it all behind. And I'm not sure if I'm happy about that or sad.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 08:39:55 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;55220

This could start a whole new thread, but in brief:
My bag
1. one change of clothing
     pants, tee shirt, long sleeve shirt, under wear, insulated under wear (top and bottom) medium weight coat, wool socks, cotton socks, wool toboggan
2. poncho
3. cigarette lighters
4. 3 MRE's
5. portable CB radio kit (includes a transceiver with magnetic antenna and vehicle plug.
6. pistol (ruger mark II 22 rimfire semi auto) 150 rounds ammo. (this is for survival hunting, we live in a very rural area, and leaving home may mean hitting wilderness)
7. 50 rounds ammo for Glock 40 S&W (this is for my service pistol, if this is a natural disaster, we may have to set up road blocks etc, I have to be prepared to work as law-enforcement as well as see to my family)
8. Wool blanket.
9. Very basic tool kit.
10. descent first aid kit.
11. 30 feet of rappelling rope.
12. sewing kit
13. leather gloves
14. hunting knife
The wife has a smaller bag. And we also have a bag for the kids.
That is all that I can remember, this week end I'll open my bag and see if I forgot to mention anything. You can't be prepared for everything, and it is very easy to overload yourself. If you have kids, remember snacks, and a toy or two. We have that in the kids bag. Also remember to obey the law, firearms might not be looked on favorably at a survival center or relocation camp. If you are urban your needs may be totally different. We are rural, and it would take over a days walk to get to a town. Also remember that not all evacuations require survival gear, their can be a hazardous spill, or fire at an industrial facility that means a temporary evacuation, where you can stay with family outside the danger zone.
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 03:06:05 pm »

It's important to remember that a bug out bag is only when you don't have any time but to grab and go.  And some things grabbed would depend on the situation - as Wickerman said, in a chemical spill situation you are just out of the way until it is safe to return.  While if it is, to go to the other extreme here, an invasion by another country and everyone is being put in detention camps, then in addition we would grab more weapons and the ammo to go with them.  But we have a gun safe full, so we can.

The SO also ended up with a bunch of these emergency rations that are a block about the size of 3 packs of playing cards and equal to 9 days food.  You would need water, but that is not ever lacking in our area.  So we have those in our bags, with backpacking stove and pans so we can boil water.  Ground water is not always clean (giardiasis anyone?).  Also, being on the Pacific NW coast we always have waterproof stuff with us - ponchos and plastic for shelters.  

Survival all comes down to retaining body heat.  Food, shelter, warm dry clothes, all of these keep your core temperature up.  If you can stay dry and warm and eat enough you will make it.

Wickerman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 11:30:16 pm »

Checked my bag, I see that I made no provisions for the wife's drinking water. She is allergic to iodine, so the water purification tabs I have won't work for her.
The list I gave earlier is about it, save for one very important item that I had forgotten all about putting in there. A set of keys. A duplicate key ring, with the keys to all of our vehicles, tractors, our gates and house. The car keys need updating since one I no longer have, and our new car isn't on there.
"Don\'t take life too seriously, or you\'ll never get out of it alive." (Bugs Bunny)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 01:31:08 am »
Quote from: Wickerman;55345
Checked my bag, I see that I made no provisions for the wife's drinking water. She is allergic to iodine, so the water purification tabs I have won't work for her.
The list I gave earlier is about it, save for one very important item that I had forgotten all about putting in there. A set of keys. A duplicate key ring, with the keys to all of our vehicles, tractors, our gates and house. The car keys need updating since one I no longer have, and our new car isn't on there.

Awesome, thanks for sharing.  I have to get one together.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 01:56:36 am »

As a zombie-apocalypse preparer, I am definitely building/buying stuff for a bug-out bag. The only things I'm really missing are water purification stuff and waterproof coverings.

On a personal/work level, I'd choose my flash-drive. I copy/paste my files every week ever since I had a horrible year in college, where either my printer or my computer kept crashing without warning and I pretty much flunked English because of that and the time needed to repair them. My flash-drive also has my music in it--I can get a new laptop, new phone, and a new iPod, but rebuilding my 200-song library and my writing work? FUCK NO.

On a magical/spiritual level, the only thing I really need is myself intact. If I can't talk, then I'm in trouble. If I can't think, I'm in HUUUGE trouble.

I found that out in a rather... traumatic way just this week. I had a PTSD episode in the middle of talking with Aengus Og and the Morrigan, and suddenly the only thing I could do was curl up under the blanket and scream in my head. Then I stopped that because I thought something else was warning me not to be too loud, and the gods freaked out even more than when I was "screaming" because now I wasn't talking or thinking anything. I eventually managed to ask Aengus to help, but I keep remembering that mindless terror and hoping like hell it doesn't happen again.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:59:46 am by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 02:54:10 pm »

Ouch!  Good catch on the iodine.  We have one of those backpacking filtration systems, but the filters only last so long.  And the SO can light a fire in just about any situation - and he carries stuff for that too.  

I tease him that I love him for his survival skills, but he doesn't believe me. :)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
What is the one thing you can't work without?
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 01:20:27 pm »

So, as someone that needs to put bug-out bags together, would you recommend those pre- packed "survival kits", or is it better to do it piecemeal?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Ocelot

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 01:40:08 pm »

Wife and cat first, but after that I would want to at least grab my network hard drive since it has backups of all documents and pictures from both mine and my wife's computers. The laptop would be good too, but the backup drive is more important.

If possible, I would also try to scoop up as much of the irreplaceable memories displayed on a small table in our son's room.
~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.
~<>~

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 02:25:43 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;55762
So, as someone that needs to put bug-out bags together, would you recommend those pre- packed "survival kits", or is it better to do it piecemeal?

Piecemeal is cheaper - the pre-packaged kits tend to run high.

You need a knife - pick something you are comfortable with that is only sharpened on one long side so you can pound on it on the other.  Mine is kinda chef knife shaped because I cook a lot with a chef knife and am comfortable with that shape - no learning curve.  You need to be able to purify water some way.  You need some emergency food - MRE's or backpacking food or something.  You need water if your area does not have lots of it around.  You need to be able to start a fire.  Feminine hygiene products if they apply.  First aid stuff including meds.  Flashlight.  Change of clothes - layers so that you can do a variety of temperatures.  A space blanket or other blanket.  Plastic for a quick shelter from the weather.  Tea light candles - no shit - you can sit with a rain poncho on and have a tea light candle on the ground between your legs lit and it will make a big difference in you body temp.

AmberHeart

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »
Quote from: Owl;55782
Piecemeal is cheaper - the pre-packaged kits tend to run high.

Excellent points. Not the discussion I expected for this topic but being certified in disaster recovery, very interesting to see what folks responded with and the discussion on kits.

My bug bag is more urban based survival, don't drive and no one in their right mind would trust someone with my eyesight with a projectile weapon on any kind. ;)

Magically, I'm old enough to have been trained that the only thing a Witch needs is himself or herself, everything else is optional. Not to say I wouldn't drive my backup external drive on route to the bug bag but I'd probably pick up at least one picture of my late mother rather than anything on my altar.

Amber

TisiphoneSeraph

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Recon-Informed Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 03:47:47 pm »

This is an interesting discussion on a couple levels for me.

I notice a lot of people talk about their families, their pets, their children, their significant others but I'm single (well, not married), living on my own for the most part, very far from any close relatives, and without children or pets. So if something were to happen, assuming I'm not acting as an Residential Assistant where I'm responsible for my residents' safety, I'm really only responsible for myself.

See so much of my answer to this would depend on the situation.

Currently I'm going to college in West Virginia and there just aren't a lot of natural disasters in the typical since. Yes, rivers flood but the Mon river as weird as it is would never flood to the dorm I work in. Mudslides are a problem, but there again, for the land my dorm is built on it's just not a concern. Even with tornados which are very very rare in this area, in the short term, I could count on the university for most of my needs, being an employee and all.

So I don't know what sort of situation to envision when thinking about these things.

If I was in a situation where I had some time and I wasn't required to work an evacuation, my first concerns would be my friends like me who are from out of state and don't have a close place to go. My chosen family if you will.

But they're spread out all over town so if I couldn't contact them, I'd at least try to check on my boyfriend because he works in the same housing complex I do so it wouldn't be too difficult.

I'm a people person. And if I have to run for my life, I'd like to have someone to run with.

If I'm only responsible for myself, and I only had maybe five minutes or so to ransack my room before heading out, I'd grab my laptop, my phone, my Kindle, some clothes, a blanket, some snacks, and my tarot cards.

I can't imagine being anywhere for any length of time without my tarot cards. I keep them in this bag that has crushed up sandlewood incense in it as well as chai tea and as soon as I take a whiff of that bag, pull those cards out, and shuffle them, I'm at peace. Do I absolutely need them? No. But it is so much easier to connect with the divine with them.

It's really hard for me to even begin to conceptualize an emergency situation for where I live to be honest. I genuinely don't know how I'd go about it simply because I don't know what to expect.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:49:46 pm by TisiphoneSeraph »
divination thoughts over at hillbilly oracle

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:22 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;54957
In such a situation, if my wife and all the dogs and cats are okay, I'd try to grab the portable hard drive and the laptop. If my wife and animals aren't safe, my efforts would go toward getting them.

Family first, then the photo bag and package of official documents and preferably my purse.  Oh and since most photos now are on the portable harddrive, that too. Although usually it is in the photo bag anyway already.

If I get more time than a few seconds, I want my mother's sewing machine and her folk wardrobe (actually have separate insurance for that).
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Tags: