Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Thoughts on Familiars  (Read 2891 times)

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Familiars
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 11:53:01 am »
Quote from: Matdredalia;71578
Hello, everyone! .

This wonderful bond she & I share makes me wonder....if this isn't what makes a familiar, then what does?

I'm really curious to hear other's thoughts (even thoughts of "familiar's don't exist") and am open to opinions of all sorts. :)

I won't pretend to have any signifigant insight into the historical details in regards to witches and familiars. I am just going to work on the principle of " I think I get what you mean"  you are asking if a person can have a bond with another creature or being that works to enhance or alter their magical exercises and workings. To me the answer to that is a screaming YES.

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 12:04:41 pm »
Quote from: Matdredalia;71578
Hello, everyone! .

This wonderful bond she & I share makes me wonder....if this isn't what makes a familiar, then what does?

I'm really curious to hear other's thoughts (even thoughts of "familiar's don't exist") and am open to opinions of all sorts. :)

I won't pretend to have any signifigant insight into the historical details in regards to witches and familiars. I am just going to work on the principle of " I think I get what you mean"  you are asking if a person can have a bond with another creature or being that works to enhance or alter their magical exercises and workings. To me the answer to that is a screaming YES.

I don't think it matters much what path you walk, if you have a being that you share a special bond with, beyond the sphere of normality, if the creature enfluences your magical practice and or rituals, I would consider it special. perhaps familiar isn't the proper technical term. but it is certainly something beyond the norm. It might bear considering to come up with a new term though for propriety's sake.

I don't personally have a familiar, I have had guides appear to me for varying lengths of time, one in particular, a crystalline dragon I call Gabe, has come and gone for as long as I remember ( during meditation visions and dreams ). Recently I found that my "coven" leader has had encounters with this same being.  She also has two cats she considers " familiars " that have a peculiar bond with her and without fail, whenever we are outside working in the circle wander the borders like sentinels.

so perhaps familiar isn't the right term but in the spirit of the question, can you have a guide or companion, one that shares a unique bond with you spiritually or otherwise. I say yes. Yes indeedy

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »
Quote from: Frostfire;80104

I'm going to agree with this too. I don't know if "familiar" is the right term, but I think there are pets who respond to magical working, pets who are helpful in various ways, pets who are aligned with certain deities (I had some big ol' UPG about who my late dog "belonged" to) and so on.

Tags: