Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: The Dangers of Exploring the Supernatural/Paranormal  (Read 1593 times)

Marukai

• Master Member
    • View Profile
The Dangers of Exploring the Supernatural/Paranormal
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:34:12 am »
I just want some feedback on what precautions should be taken when exploring haunted places and exploring the possibility of spirits in cemeteries. I have done some research and have discovered that some have had entities follow them home. It is said that you should go to a busy place after visiting a place that has been haunted before going home.

I have also read into the use of stones as a means for protection.

I am drawn to exploring the supernatural to develop the ability to have a better sense of spirits.

I am conflicted as to what Demonic forces really are because Demons seem to stem from a biblical context, whereas many ancient cultures label Demons as Evil Spirits.

Thoughts?

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: The Dangers of Exploring the Supernatural/Paranormal
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:59:35 am »
Quote from: Marukai;113711
I just want some feedback on what precautions should be taken when exploring haunted places and exploring the possibility of spirits in cemeteries. I have done some research and have discovered that some have had entities follow them home. It is said that you should go to a busy place after visiting a place that has been haunted before going home.

I have investigated a number of haunted places and never had a spirit follow me home. However, another member of my group did, and the spirit is believed to have been picked up from a cemetery. The spirit was not negative or harmful in any way.

Still, after that we began to introduce ourselves at any new location with the rules. "Hi, I am Fier, I'm not here to get you to leave. You can talk to me or touch me gently but you may not follow me home." Granted, spirits still have free will and could still follow me home if they really wanted to.

My guess is that spirits are sticking around a place for a reason and most aren't interested in leaving to go home with the random visitor. Cemeteries seem to be a odd exception. I have read somewhere recently (I forget where, but it wasn't related to ghost hunting) that one should exit a cemetery while walking backwards (with their back facing the exit) so that they wouldn't be followed. That little bit of advice suggested to me that the belief in spirits following people home from cemeteries is more widespread than I had thought.

I am conflicted as to what Demonic forces really are because Demons seem to stem from a biblical context, whereas many ancient cultures label Demons as Evil Spirits.

Thoughts?

I think the percentage of neutral, positive, or grumpy spirits far outweighs the percentage of evil ones. I think that if you are respectful and polite when entering a spirit's home you will have little problems. If you go into their home and provoke them, you are likely to get smacked, just as you are likely to get smacked by any living person whom you provoke.

Marukai

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:38:57 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;113736
I have investigated a number of haunted places and never had a spirit follow me home. However, another member of my group did, and the spirit is believed to have been picked up from a cemetery. The spirit was not negative or harmful in any way.

Still, after that we began to introduce ourselves at any new location with the rules. "Hi, I am Fier, I'm not here to get you to leave. You can talk to me or touch me gently but you may not follow me home." Granted, spirits still have free will and could still follow me home if they really wanted to.

My guess is that spirits are sticking around a place for a reason and most aren't interested in leaving to go home with the random visitor. Cemeteries seem to be a odd exception. I have read somewhere recently (I forget where, but it wasn't related to ghost hunting) that one should exit a cemetery while walking backwards (with their back facing the exit) so that they wouldn't be followed. That little bit of advice suggested to me that the belief in spirits following people home from cemeteries is more widespread than I had thought.

I think the percentage of neutral, positive, or grumpy spirits far outweighs the percentage of evil ones. I think that if you are respectful and polite when entering a spirit's home you will have little problems. If you go into their home and provoke them, you are likely to get smacked, just as you are likely to get smacked by any living person whom you provoke.

Thank you for the advice. I was told by a member of my coven to never perform any rituals at these places because it can disrupt the energy field in the area.

Varian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:10:34 pm »
Thoughts?

My experience with cemeteries is that as long as I'm respectful, I'm fine.  I've never encountered a spirit, or had one try to follow me home.

Raven Rose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:01:38 pm »

I think this is entirely possible. I would ground myself after leaving and visualize any "attachments" leaving me. Might help.

I have also read into the use of stones as a means for protection.

I believe stones do have energetic properties that can help.

I don't know where the word originates from, but people understand the word to mean something evil and "not of this world". I believe negative entities come from other planes of existence, so demon is as good a word as any to describe them I guess.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 07:50:30 pm »
I just want some feedback on what precautions should be taken when exploring haunted places and exploring the possibility of spirits in cemeteries. I have done some research and have discovered that some have had entities follow them home.
I've never seen spirits "follow" someone home. But I suppose it could happen. They're spirits; supernatural beings. They're not exactly bound to physical limitations like movement or space like we are.
I have had experiences of spirits typically associated with one place interacting with people at another place. But I hesitate to describe it as them "following" the person.

I have the same problem. One of my fellow coveners uses the term "demon", but I vigorously disagree with her on that word. I feel that it's such a loaded term, with strong roots in the culture of Christianity (though it linguistic origin is Classical Greek), that I am uncomfortable using it.
I just refer to them as "spirits" and qualify them as harmful or malicious. I wouldn't describe it as "evil" since I don't believe that there is an objective good and evil.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:55:42 pm by Louisvillian »

Tags: