Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: The Cosmic Scales  (Read 1593 times)

NCPilot

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
The Cosmic Scales
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:53:29 am »
So last week, I heard of this story (that later turned out to be fake) of Michael Vick being attacked by a Pit Bull while leaving the Philadelphia Eagles' stadium.  At first I was happy that it happened, because it would've been sweet justice to the asshole who hosted a dog fighting ring while he was playing for the Atlanta Falcons.  Of course, the story was fake and never happened.  

This did get me to thinking about how I view the idea that the Universe, our reality has to have some scale to balance out the good and the bad.  Honestly, I don't believe there is such a scale.  Doing good things doesn't always return good things to you.  Sometimes the bad guy doesn't get retribution for doing bad things.  I mean Hel, just look at all the bankers who still have jobs in the USA after causing the recession.  

I know many religion like to tout this idea that if you do bad things, then bad things will happen to you.  The one that stands out to me right now is the Wiccan's Three Fold Law.  However, honestly, I've never seen anything like that in action.  So, what's to stop someone from being a jerk, or casting hexes or curses?  I guess, the desire to not do harm to your fellow human being and not doing bad things to each other because that'd make you a jerk.

So if there's no cosmic justice system, no scales that need to be balanced, what purpose do the gods, wight, demi-gods serve?  IMHO, they serve as guidance, giver of wisdom and they do help us out with magic, depending on what their strong suit is in terms of magical ability.  

In some sense, it's liberating to know there's no Cosmic Scales.  If you do a minor bad thing, or even a major one, you don't have to worry about it being paid back three times over.  However, it also means there's more responsibility, you have to take responsibility for your own actions and basically it's all on you.

Thoughts?

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The Cosmic Scales
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:40:34 pm »
Quote from: NCPilot;150805
Doing good things doesn't always return good things to you.  Sometimes the bad guy doesn't get retribution for doing bad things.

I've always thought this concept was at least partly a result of how English (and other languages I'm familiar with) work, using the same word "good" for two different concepts.

"Good things happen to good people" - sounds reasonable.
"Pleasant things happen to moral people" - not so much.

I do think that there is some form of cosmic justice, but it does not operate with material gains or losses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

styr

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: The Cosmic Scales
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 05:19:53 am »
Quote from: NCPilot;150805

This did get me to thinking about how I view the idea that the Universe, our reality has to have some scale to balance out the good and the bad.  Honestly, I don't believe there is such a scale.  Doing good things doesn't always return good things to you.  Sometimes the bad guy doesn't get retribution for doing bad things.  I mean Hel, just look at all the bankers who still have jobs in the USA after causing the recession.  

I know many religion like to tout this idea that if you do bad things, then bad things will happen to you.  The one that stands out to me right now is the Wiccan's Three Fold Law.  However, honestly, I've never seen anything like that in action.  So, what's to stop someone from being a jerk, or casting hexes or curses?  I guess, the desire to not do harm to your fellow human being and not doing bad things to each other because that'd make you a jerk.
Thoughts?

I think there definitely is a 'built-in' system of balance, and that Sefiru is right -- you're not going to see evidence of it by measuring material gain and loss.

The easiest way to see the 'Cosmic Scales' in action, I think, is to watch people when they are alone, if you get the opportunity.  Without something outside of themselves to feed on / measure themselves against / distract their attentions via sadism, most of the 'jerks' and diabolists appear to be trapped in self-made hells, frantically reaching and searching for something to distract them from the pain and horror of having to stare into their own psyches.  It's hard to notice this when you're viewing them in the throes of pleasure and satisfaction at others' expense, but the second the thrill is gone and there's no one around to take from... their own demons start scratching and poking them full force.

The 'rewards' on the other side of the scales come in a more stable and internal form, I think.  There's a power and internal peace that doesn't depend on the world outside the self, or what happens in that world, or what happens to the self in that world.  Ironically, that kind of power can't be sought as power; but it definitely influences the world outside the self in noticeable ways.

I can't tout this as fact, but I've had enough subjective 'proof' in my own experience to believe it.

Tags: