collapse

Author Topic: Random acts of kindness.  (Read 1096 times)

justbry87

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Random acts of kindness.
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:49:09 am »
Recently I've found a Facebook group called 'Art Abandoning'.

It's a group of artists and crafters who make crafts/art and abandon them
at random places for any stranger to find.

Often they have notes saying kind words and an email if the finder wishes to
leave a thank you or feedback.

I make hemp and wire jewelry and I've tagged each piece with a small
tag saying things like, "Smile, I hope you have a nice day!" or "You are Loved!"

I know it's not strictly a Pagan practice per-se, but what mainly began as a
way to spread art wherever I go kind of turned into something a bit more spiritual.
I hope that giving without expecting in return, even if it's just a small token and a
few kind words written to a stranger would inspire them to 'pay it forward'.

Do you guys practice some sort of random acts of kindness. It can be anything
really :]

Zeaque

• View Profile
Re: Random acts of kindness.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:55:20 pm »
I've considered this kind of action before. I haven't done much yet, but it is a goal. :)
The main thing I've done is some fun chalk art.

justbry87

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:45:19 pm »
Quote from: Zeaque;139630
I've considered this kind of action before. I haven't done much yet, but it is a goal. :)
The main thing I've done is some fun chalk art.

That's awesome! It can be anything really ;] I'm currently stuck home
in between jobs and looking for work so I've been recycling old wires to
make into jewelry for complete strangers to find.

So far I've come with this [a long with a few others].

SunflowerP

• Senior Staff
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:47 pm »
Quote from: Zeaque;139630

A Reminder:
Hi, Zeaque,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

EclecticWheel

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cultural/Heretical Episcopalian, Star&Marian Rites, Pantheist w/ Multiple Powers, Agnostic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 03:44:55 pm »
This is a wonderful idea!  I think I'll steal it.  :)

Quote from: justbry87;139595

tag saying things like, "Smile, I hope you have a nice day!" or "You are Loved!"

way to spread art wherever I go kind of turned into something a bit more spiritual.
I hope that giving without expecting in return, even if it's just a small token and a

My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »

I've never thought of doing something like that. But when I get the money for supplies I'm definitely doing it.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »

I try to be as nice and polite as possible, especially to people who get overlooked. A few weeks ago we had a snowstorm, and the management send out ONE GUY with a shovel to clear the walks. ONE GUY. I felt so bad for him, and so glad that I didn't have to shovel the snow myself, I took him a plate of cookies and thanked him for shovelling the snow. He looked like he was going to cry.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: ze/zir or they/them
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:27:10 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;141451
I try to be as nice and polite as possible, especially to people who get overlooked. A few weeks ago we had a snowstorm, and the management send out ONE GUY with a shovel to clear the walks. ONE GUY. I felt so bad for him, and so glad that I didn't have to shovel the snow myself, I took him a plate of cookies and thanked him for shovelling the snow. He looked like he was going to cry.

That's so sweet of you!

I try to give to charity at least once a month. Also, you know when people hang out around stores and panhandle? I go inside and if I have enough money I buy them food or a blanket or something like that.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Voren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »

I never thought of doing this! Now I want to, I have A LOT of art just sitting around that I could do this with! Thanks for putting this out here, it's a great idea!

Radom acts of kindness...hm...I like to leave notes in places that say nice things to people, like in restaurants, libraries, random stores. I Also like to leave what little change I can spare for random people in random places, and I help people when I can.
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:27:34 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;141451

I had something like that happen to me, once. I was working at a temporary gig at a store that was having a grand reopening. So they had some of us taking shifts in the 100+ degree sun holding a sign to direct people. A stranger saw me out there, went to buy me a lemonade from the local fast food store, and gave it to me. I was totally blown away (and grateful!).

I have not done a lot of random acts of kindness, except giving change to people when I have it, which is not too often (I mostly use a card). But I have a really friendly demeanor, and when I am dealing with people I know do not get treated well often (such as customer service), I try to be even more nice. It is kind of sad to see them taken aback by that.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 08:32:47 am »
Quote from: Leirion;141485

I have not done a lot of random acts of kindness, except giving change to people when I have it, which is not too often (I mostly use a card). But I have a really friendly demeanor, and when I am dealing with people I know do not get treated well often (such as customer service), I try to be even more nice. It is kind of sad to see them taken aback by that.

Yeah, I generally make a point of being extra-nice to people whose jobs are really stressful - low-level retail employees, wait staff at cheap restaurants, fast food workers, custodial employees. Quite apart from the fact that you should be polite to people who are helping you, I've found that I get noticeably better service just because I make eye contact and smile when they say hello. The groundskeeping staff and maintenance crew at my apartment complex actually stopped me once and insisted on reinflating my trike tires with air.

My thing is, I know a lot of people find it irritating when they walk into a store and a young, chipper worker goes "Hi! Welcome to McHappiesHappyplacestore! Have a super day!" But the thing is, they're REQUIRED to say that, and they HAVE TO SAY IT umpteen million times a day, so the least I can do is look at them and smile, because I know that as much as I hate hearing it, they hate SAYING it.

I actually had an exchange with a cashier at a RiteAid. She was a young woman, probably a little younger than I (maybe in her early twenties). She had done they obligatory uber-cheerful, "Hey, welcome to Rite Aid!" when I walked in, which I acknowledged. And when I went to check out (I was the only customer in the store) I grinned and said, "I bet you get sick of saying that." Her reply was an enthusiastic "Yes! I *hate* it." Which, once she'd said it, seemed to make her feel better.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 04:01:47 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;141530

My thing is, I know a lot of people find it irritating when they walk into a store and a young, chipper worker goes "Hi! Welcome to McHappiesHappyplacestore! Have a super day!" But the thing is, they're REQUIRED to say that, and they HAVE TO SAY IT umpteen million times a day, so the least I can do is look at them and smile, because I know that as much as I hate hearing it, they hate SAYING it.

This. So many times. I worked retail for years, and that part really, really sucked. So did having customers and my bosses cuss me out for things entirely beyond my control or for following orders. I am sure you made that RiteAid worker's day.

Tags: