Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Positive Generation  (Read 4732 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Positive Generation
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 08:52:41 am »
I also can't help but remember that the The Power of Positive Thinking guy, Norman Vincent Peale, was Donald Trump's minister when he was a kid.

I wish to emphasize that I'm only a fan of the power of positive thinking lower case, and not ^ that guy - just felt that needed to be said.  Thank you for listening
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 01:35:06 pm »
If wishes were horses, poor men would ride.

(Which is to say that, in my experience, when someone *says* that positive thinking alone can change reality, they actually had a lot of resources at their disposal that they take for granted. This youtube video explains it fairly well:)

^This. 100%.   

I vaguely recall a study in which making people in depressed states listen to happy music made them feel worse, whereas listening to sad music made them feel better - I guess because it validated their emotions and/or made them feel less alone?

There are studies pointing the other direction as well- that listening to sad music can exacerbate depression. 

What I haven't seen is a study that looks at how the content of the lyrics might impact the person's mental health. IME, the messaging of the lyrics makes a difference on how helpful music is.  Nihilistic lyrics make things worse for me, as do songs that focus on suicide (e.g. blink 182's "Adam's Song").  OTOH, songs that are sad but have a sense of community/unity help immensely (e.g., REM's "Everybody Hurts").

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kura

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 10:27:03 pm »
The word positive says it all, it actually is positive generating. If "positivity" is hurting you then that would mean negativity. I am not talking about unicorns and rainbows for a depressed soul, I am not talking about simply being positive. I coached a depressed person to believe they could beat their depression and they started throwing their negativity at it "weak, failure, dying" etc. Very soon after their depression got weak and they pulled out of it.

Kura

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 10:41:11 pm »
The word positive says it all, it actually is positive generating. If "positivity" is hurting you then that would mean negativity. I am not talking about unicorns and rainbows for a depressed soul, I am not talking about simply being positive. I coached a depressed person to believe they could beat their depression and they started throwing their negativity at it "weak, failure, dying" etc. Very soon after their depression got weak and they pulled out of it.

Meant to say I AM talking about simply being positive.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 11:28:46 pm »

A Reminder:
Hi Kura,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

EclecticWheel, Forum Staff
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 05:17:18 am »
I am not talking about simply being positive.
Have you tried diversion tactics it stops the clone of ones personality.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 12:10:58 pm »

A few questions ( you don't need to answer as they're personal to someone else but I think they're worth you thinking about ). Did that person come to you for help ( a sign that possibly they were getting stronger already, in that they felt strong enough to ask for help )? Did they have you supporting them personally through this ( in that they weren't alone )? Were there times along the way that they felt it was hard or they wanted to give up?
I ask because different people have different situations.

I think we can all probably agree that being or finding the positive is good. The problem is in assuming all people are in the same situation or facing the same thing. Sometimes what works for someone can cause more problems for someone else - a bit like medicines, where some people have allergic reactions to something which would help others.

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 12:12:42 pm »
Sometimes what works for someone can cause more problems for someone else - a bit like medicines, where some people have allergic reactions to something which would help others.

Ps. I realise this is an oversimplistic comparisson but it's the best one I can think of right now.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 12:32:20 pm »

There are studies pointing the other direction as well- that listening to sad music can exacerbate depression. 

What I haven't seen is a study that looks at how the content of the lyrics might impact the person's mental health. IME, the messaging of the lyrics makes a difference on how helpful music is.  Nihilistic lyrics make things worse for me, as do songs that focus on suicide (e.g. blink 182's "Adam's Song").  OTOH, songs that are sad but have a sense of community/unity help immensely (e.g., REM's "Everybody Hurts").

I would also be curious to see if they factored other personality traits into how the music effects the person (for example, if they are generally an optimist, do they prefer happy music when they are sad, while pessimists might find happy music makes them feel worse).

For me personally, it depends on what kind of sad I am.  Sometimes, I need to listen to the music that makes me feel the way I want to feel.  I turn on something upbeat and happy and bouncy that will get me moving.  But other times it's like I need something more empathetic, I need music that expresses what I am feeling inside, and I need to really be where I am (at those times, happy upbeat music just makes me feel worse).  The same goes for shows I watch.  If I'm having real struggles, I need shows where the people in them are going through worse stuff.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: