Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Pagan Stereotypes You Embrace?  (Read 29838 times)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Re: Pagan Stereotypes You Embrace?
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2014, 06:04:11 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;110450
I read somewhere on the interwebs, "always be friends with a Pagan. They worship the ground you walk on." That's definitely true for me. I'm abso-freaking-lutely a cat person. And Halloween. And a tree hugger. And I've told the door to door Latter-Day Saints on more than one occasion that I worship the Devil just to get them to go away. :ange:

Once I get my own place I plan on having statues of the fair-folk, dragons, critters, witches, etc. on every surface my boyfriend will allow. (He's agnostic. But he doesn't care about me being Pagan.)

Quote from: missgraceless;120621
I definitely have to add the hippie/bohemian fashion sense and attitude. I love gypsy skirts.

Sorry guys, but I've been feeling the need to amend my list of stuff.

I'm not so much earth-based as I used to be in what I believe, but I'm still a tree hugger, outdoorsy girl and I've got the beginnings of a fairy garden going. I don't call myself a witch anymore, and I'm more or less polite to the LDS that stop by.

But I do still love Halloween and cats. And I'm still very much hippy/bohemian in style and mindset, minus the ignorance of using the word "gypsy." I've got a serious case of wanderlust, and as soon as I have some spare money and time I'm going back to Salem.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Nalusa

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://theleylinewar.thecomicseries.com/
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2014, 01:11:02 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;66459

What pagan stereotypes do you proudly embrace?

Karen

Quote from: Shefyt;67701
"Hi, I'm a priest of Bast, and I'm owned by cats." ^_^

-Shefyt

I am owned by two (and a half)cats as well, and I intend (as soon as I can get a running car) to volunteer cleaning litter boxes at the local feline rescue on Saturday afternoons. The same rescue where our latest addition to the family decided that we were his.

I say half, because a cat came with our house that we bought...on the purchase and sale agreement no less. However, while I do my best to make sure she has her needs met, she's unpredictable and has nearly tried to claim my eyes as her prizes on a couple of occasions.

That aside, I'm pretty low-profile. I do get distressed at destruction of nature, especially when it results in waste, and no use being put to the land or the resources there. I try not to harm anything unless I plan to eat it.

I do love Halloween time- but not for the holiday. More for the Trebuchet Punkin Chunkin tournament. I want a scale model trebuchet to fling tennis balls for the dog soooooo bad.

MightyAntler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2014, 11:40:03 am »

If any of you guys saw me you probably would not get the pagan impression. I wear flannel, stripes, boat shoes, and my footwear habits are really different (always wear shoes outside but never in a residence). Do any of you wear attars? I do. I never use "blessed be" nor the "Oh my *insert deity name or type here*." I am rather normal-looking and sounding. My favourite holiday is Christmas.

There are only three pagan stereotypes I have. I listen to Loreena McKennitt and one New Age artist. I don't have any religiously significant jewelry yet, but I know I want a ring with an ankh on it. I am politically left.
Yours in hobbit homes,
MightyAntler

kasabake

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Questioning
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her, he/him
« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2014, 11:33:32 am »

I'd definitely have to say... Halloween and cats. Since I feel I'm still young enough, I still go trick or treating with my friends, which may sound kind of silly, but it's my favorite holiday, I love being outside during nighttime, and I have a huge sweet tooth, so there's no way I'm passing up safe, free candy while I'm still young enough to trick or treat :D: (I'm waiting until I've studied enough to celebrate it in a religious way, because I always worry about messing things up). Aside from the candy, I also just like how everything feels during Halloween and it's always been my favorite holiday since I was little.

I absolutely LOVE cats too. We've had three cats, and my nanna (we're not related but she's like a grandmother to me, so I just call her nanna) has had about seven, so I've been around a lot cats my whole life. I just love animals in general, though. Especially cats and rats.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2014, 09:12:12 am »
Quote from: Nalusa;146914

I say half, because a cat came with our house that we bought...on the purchase and sale agreement no less. However, while I do my best to make sure she has her needs met, she's unpredictable and has nearly tried to claim my eyes as her prizes on a couple of occasions.

They sold their cat with the house???

Wow.  I just...wow.

Poor kitty. :(
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2014, 06:03:12 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;147595

Wow.  I just...wow.

Poor kitty is right! Glad that said kitty's new family is more cat-friendly.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Nalusa

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://theleylinewar.thecomicseries.com/
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2014, 03:34:13 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;147595

Wow.  I just...wow.

Sorry about the delay, but yeah. Neko came on the purchase and sale agreement. We often joke shes the most expensive house cat we've ever heard about, at $150,000.00

I want to love on her, and be sweet to her, but shes dangerous. =( So, I do what I can. She's a survivor, fourteen years old and regularly catches birds and mice, but I supplement that with cat food in the mornings (so it wont attract raccoons) and make sure there is always water available.

This winter I'm going make a hide for her and fill it with hay, and (while wearing my husbands welding gloves) show her where it is so maybe she will get the idea that its shelter.

Before I detract too badly from the content of the thread, I'm thinking of planting a garden for my goddess next spring. The local cats already use my flower beds as litter-boxes, so if I make a garden for the goddess with plants cats like, perhaps the blessed little beasties will leave the roses alone. Lol

Ill have to find a nice outdoor safe statuette of a cat for it. =) A subtle statement.

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #217 on: August 26, 2014, 09:06:43 pm »

Yes, I listen to Loreen McKennitt. And a few other pagan-ish songs. Recently got into SJ Tucker although I'm unclear if she's considered pagan.

Politically, I am more liberal than conservative.

Yes, I love Halloween. It's the one time of year I can dress up as a goddess or something, and no one cares. I love the feeling of a new year coming, with smells and sounds of autumn.

If I didn't already have a dog, I'd own a cat. Maybe two. At least one of them would be black.

I would love to own a proper wool cloak. It'd be perfect for when I need to make a quick trip outside during the cold months, but don't want to bother with a coat.

A supply of herbs on hand for use as incense? Why yes, I just started building up such a collection.

"Gods above and below" is one of my usual utterances these days.

Book hoarding? Check. Sizable candle supply? Check. Statues of goddesses, dragons, gargoyles? Check. I intend to add a statue of a god when I come across one that grabs me, so to speak.

Black clothing? Don't mind if I do! Just bought four pairs of black jeans after years of searching and whining about not having any. My first favorite color is blue, though, thankfully that goes well with black, as does purple (second favorite color).

Role-playing games? Dungeons and Dragons Online.

That's all I can think of for now. Might come back and add more.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Komachi

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2014, 09:51:30 pm »
So we often talk about pagan stereotypes that we dislike, but what about the things we embrace?

For example, I love every cheesy witchy thing about Halloween. I own one of those "witch flew into the wall" decorations that I hang on the front door of my house. I think it's fun.

Karen

Bein' creepy.

<.<

>.>

e_e
"His innermost destiny drives him on to the spirit and to God. His innermost longing draws him back to nature, the mother."  
Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2014, 01:34:54 am »
Quote from: Wanderer894;157186
Yes, I listen to Loreen McKennitt. And a few other pagan-ish songs. Recently got into SJ Tucker although I'm unclear if she's considered pagan.

I'm not sure if she IDs as pagan religiously but she happily participates in various pagan communities by playing at pagan festivals and making music based on various neopagan ideas, themes, etc. The local pagans I know all consider her to be one of us. /shrug
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2014, 10:17:21 pm »
Quote from: Morag;157202
I'm not sure if she IDs as pagan religiously but she happily participates in various pagan communities by playing at pagan festivals and making music based on various neopagan ideas, themes, etc. The local pagans I know all consider her to be one of us. /shrug

After seeing her perform live, I'm inclined to think that she has more than a passing knowledge of song spell-craft.  She raises an impressive amount of energy in her performances, that's for certain.  I have to shield really well in any crowd situation, but I was still reeling from the amount of power coming off the stage the last time I saw her.  Might be an innate ability, but I'm inclined to doubt it.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tags: