collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Pagan Stereotypes You Embrace?  (Read 29899 times)

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Pagan Stereotypes You Embrace?
« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2014, 09:31:49 am »
Quote from: stellamaris777;143072
I think women should keep that time of thier cycle sacred menstruation was veiwed by some cultures as magic that the women's blood had too much magic in it and thus women were set apart or avoided when they menstruated, it must have some truth to it I feel more intuned with spiritual matters when bleeding. But I do know alot of women detest menstruation as a bothersome event others don't to each thier own.

It is also viewed by some cultures (past and present) that women are dirty and disgusting during this time period and that is why they should be separated or avoided when they menstruate.  I don't have severe cramps fortunately, but I am extremely irritable particularly leading up to my menstruation.  I have to separate myself from people I know well because I cannot control my negative emotions around them and can snap at them and be very hurtful.  I don't feel spiritual or sacred, I feel stabby.

As savvy mentioned, I hope this was just a wording issue rather than you asserting that every woman should do this.

Quote from: Mama Fortuna;143180
When I imagine being pregnant, all I see is Alien.

I laughed.  A lot.  And now this visual is burned into me.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2014, 11:46:31 am »
THANK you.

I'm on Day One of Shark Week and I do not feel spiritual. I feel vaguely murderous and in a lot of physical discomfort.

I'd also get my tubes tied in a heartbeat. When I imagine being pregnant, all I see is Alien.

Shark Week... I love it.

I'm sorry you feel bad. ((Mama Fortuna)) Probably the only reason I can view my period as a special time is that it's NOT the part of my cycle that gives me trouble. I feel shitty the week BEFORE my period starts, and often when I ovulate. It's true that my period used to be really, really painful. I mean, there would generally be one or two days when I couldn't do anything. I just had to lie down. But I found out that was because...guess what? I had a bit of an anatomical problem down there.

This is where I say that in all honesty I wish someone had just shown me a picture of what women's genitals were supposed to look like, because I never knew. The sex ed I received skipped that part. So I never realized that I was kind of missing an opening.:eek:
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Adnarim

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2014, 06:09:26 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;66459
So we often talk about pagan stereotypes that we dislike, but what about the things we embrace?

For example, I love every cheesy witchy thing about Halloween. I own one of those "witch flew into the wall" decorations that I hang on the front door of my house. I think it's fun.

What pagan stereotypes do you proudly embrace?

Karen

I am very sorry that we do not celebrate halloween. Everything else...well. I live in a wooden lodge,  in a forest although  a small one. My garden is huge with a big section where i grow my herbs in pots and a green house . A big natural pond wich attracts  frogs.  And
 A fire platform made out of natural fire stone. It took  me years to build and it is a dream. Im very proud of it. :)  i would post pictures if i knew how.i practise reiki and tarot. Study demonology and mythical matters . Don't have a cat but a beautiful dark chocolate  labrador named Sam. Who I fell in love with after someone asked me to safe him. Because the breder couldn't sell him as a breeddog because he has a serious overige.  He just look like he smiles:) my daughter and i can't imagine live without him.  My house could be considered pagan. But me? Im happy in jeans and my sons of anarchy tanktop.   I love Everything spiritual and do rituals daily. Although they are taught by my grandmother ( who 's religion im not sure of but it seems pagan. Maybe old isrealic) and homemade. So I am not sure if I fit a stereotype?

Adnarim

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2014, 06:11:03 am »
Quote from: Adnarim;143391
I am very sorry that we do not celebrate halloween. Everything else...well. I live in a wooden lodge,  in a forest although  a small one. My garden is huge with a big section where i grow my herbs in pots and a green house . A big natural pond wich attracts  frogs.  And
 A fire platform made out of natural fire stone. It took  me years to build and it is a dream. Im very proud of it. :)  i would post pictures if i knew how.i practise reiki and tarot. Study demonology and mythical matters . Don't have a cat but a beautiful dark chocolate  labrador named Sam. Who I fell in love with after someone asked me to safe him. Because the breder couldn't sell him as a breeddog because he has a serious overige.  He just look like he smiles:) my daughter and i can't imagine live without him.  My house could be considered pagan. But me? Im happy in jeans and my sons of anarchy tanktop.   I love Everything spiritual and do rituals daily. Although they are taught by my grandmother ( who 's religion im not sure of but it seems pagan. Maybe old isrealic) and homemade. So I am not sure if I fit a stereotype?

With serious overige i mean overbite.  My dutch Autocorrect is a pain:)

Nuummite

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2014, 10:43:56 pm »
Quote from: stellamaris777;142674
I don't think it's silly I do the same I set aside a spiritual time for my cycle I think women should do that pagan or not though......
I think women should keep that time of thier cycle sacred menstruation
And to any woman seeking an elective tubal ligation or hysterectomy come to mexico I know doctors who have given 18 yr olds tubals just because they thought at that moment they didn't want children they aren't very particular down here. A tubal runs about 900 dollars with anestsia in a hospital as well just a thought for ladies seeking one who can't get them in thier home countries.
Don't assume that all people who menstruate or have a womb are women. It is cissexist. Educate yourself about trans men and non-binary genders.

I have known that I am not a girl since I was four years old. But people kept repeating that. First I thought that people were delusional in their gender insistence. Then I sort of got buried under it. It felt wrong to be classified as a woman, but  what could I do? It must be an objective truth because everybody says so. I shrugged the thought off, forgot it briefly, and then the feeling came back. Add more years, and then it started to hurt so much that I had to notice. I don't want to hear that burdening, suffocating load of misgendering any longer.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:46:23 pm by Nuummite »

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2014, 08:05:42 am »
Quote from: Nuummite;143753
Don't assume that all people who menstruate or have a womb are women. It is cissexist. Educate yourself about trans men and non-binary genders.

I have known that I am not a girl since I was four years old. But people kept repeating that. First I thought that people were delusional in their gender insistence. Then I sort of got buried under it. It felt wrong to be classified as a woman, but  what could I do? It must be an objective truth because everybody says so. I shrugged the thought off, forgot it briefly, and then the feeling came back. Add more years, and then it started to hurt so much that I had to notice. I don't want to hear that burdening, suffocating load of misgendering any longer.

So what would be the proper term? Obviously there are gender-neutral pronouns, but what would we say to discuss things like menstrual cycles? I just don't like being ignorant on this matter.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:09:41 am by missgraceless »
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2014, 03:50:03 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;143774
So what would be the proper term? Obviously there are gender-neutral pronouns, but what would we say to discuss things like menstrual cycles? I just don't like being ignorant on this matter.

I'd say to still call them menstrual cycles, but not assign a gender to them. I don't think you'd normally need a pronoun anyway, right? Just 'when a person is menstruating' or whatever, rather than woman.

Or am I answering completely the wrong question?

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2014, 06:06:29 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;143774

Menstruation.
Menstrual cycles.
Anyone (instead of any woman).
People (instead of women/ladies/etc).
During menstruation.
People who menstruate.
Periods.
People who have periods.
Lycanthropy.
Uterine renovations.
Shark week.
Bleeding that happens sometimes on a monthly basis, more often whenever the hell it wants.

There's no one proper term. There are tons of ways to refer to periods that aren't cissexist. Just don't reference periods as a woman's problem, and if you must use euphemisms, try for gender-neutral ones.

If you do find menstruation sacred, you can easily say "I think menstruation is a sacred time" without going into ~*~womanly goddess blessings~*~ territory.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »
So we often talk about pagan stereotypes that we dislike, but what about the things we embrace?

For example, I love every cheesy witchy thing about Halloween. I own one of those "witch flew into the wall" decorations that I hang on the front door of my house. I think it's fun.

Karen

I'll dive head first into the crazy cat lady wagon, having 6 of them myself at this time. I also plan on having an entire room dedicated to all things witchy - jars of herbs, specimens, oils, crystals in every corner, and probably a lot of dust because I won't feel like cleaning much. :whis:

I wear crystal jewelry as well, and I wear the occasional 5 point star necklace. Looking at me you'd hardly know I was a practicing witch unless you were one yourself.
"He who delights in solitude is either a wild beast or a god."
- Sir Francis Bacon [/FONT]

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2014, 09:35:39 pm »
Quote from: Morag;143820
Menstruation.
Menstrual cycles.
Anyone (instead of any woman).
People (instead of women/ladies/etc).
During menstruation.
People who menstruate.
Periods.
People who have periods.
Lycanthropy.
Uterine renovations.
Shark week.
Bleeding that happens sometimes on a monthly basis, more often whenever the hell it wants.

There's no one proper term. There are tons of ways to refer to periods that aren't cissexist. Just don't reference periods as a woman's problem, and if you must use euphemisms, try for gender-neutral ones.

If you do find menstruation sacred, you can easily say "I think menstruation is a sacred time" without going into ~*~womanly goddess blessings~*~ territory.

Thanks for the correction. Before I joined TC I was pretty ignorant to anything other than binary genders and "born with the wrong genitals" kinda thing. But I'm learning so much here, and it's actually helped me a lot in the real world.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Adnarim

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2014, 08:09:01 am »
THANK you.

I'm on Day One of Shark Week and I do not feel spiritual. I feel vaguely murderous and in a lot of physical discomfort.

I'd also get my tubes tied in a heartbeat. When I imagine being pregnant, all I see is Alien.

Yes..... well my daughter luckily wasn't alien.  But ill never do it again:) slightly murderous. . Oh yes. And on shark week taking a shower looking down : psycho killer que est qu cest?  Fafa fafaaafa. ....

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 04, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »

Karen

The longer I am pagan, the more candles I burn.  I'm all the time burning candles.  Lots and lots of candles.  I used to keep candles given to me for years.  Now these years - even more than a decade - old candles are being used up in a few short weeks.

SilverSpring

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 17, 2014, 07:34:26 pm »

Karen

Wow, I just realized after reading this thread, that I am very Stereotypical!

-I LOVE Samhain/haloween and ever corny thing that goes with it!
- We have six cats, all of which found us.  Feargus, Angus, Darcy, Aroura, JD, and a small kitten I have yet to name.
- I have a large garden for food and LARGE herb garden as well.
- I also talk to my plants and trees.
- I have a severe book hoarding problem.
- I prefer Celtic and new age music.
- I love black (although I love colors as well) and tend to dress in flowing skirts.
- Candle and insence obcessed
- I burn sage to cleanse my house on a regular basis
- I have about ten journals/book of shadows that I write all my information and rituals in.
- I try to live as green as possible using only natural cleaning products and body supplies.  I even water only wash my hair which is down to my waist.
-I live on a small organic farm and raise livestock (horses, goats, chickens, ect)
- Most of my inlaws accuse me of being a hippy ( I live in the bible belt and am very much in the broom closet)
-I walk barefoot, hug trees, lay in the grass, sing all the time, and meditate under trees.
- The Mists of Avalon introduces me to Paganism a long time ago ( and I love that book!).

I dout that is everything but it will do for now! lol

catloverkid

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2014, 11:56:28 am »

Karen

Sign me up for crazy cat lady and candles. On a budget, I only buy the candles I need, but ooooh boy would I go insane with candles if I didn't have that budget.

Also, runestones. I can't stop making runestones. They're sooooooo nice, even if I only actually have/use two sets right now, I'm eyeing off making a third very strongly and refining my technique even more.

And tarot!!! I only have one deck right now, bought on the sly, but if my parents were more open and I wasn't broke, you bet your ass I'd have tarot decks coming out of my ears.
"Do the gods speak?"
"Do they ever stop?"

In Amber Clad

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2014, 12:05:23 pm »

Oh boy, here we go. I can be signed up for the barefoot, plant-talking club as mentioned many times prior. I could write a novel about how much I hate wearing socks and shoes. I'm ridiculously protective of insects, and refuse to let people squish them. I've got a windowsill garden of herbs and veggies. I also love Halloween, and my wardrobe does indeed consist of primarily black. I love cloaks and robes, but I don't own any (maybe for good reason?) I hoard books (particularly, fantasy novels, and books about mythology). I also hoard incense and candles whenever I am able to afford them. I could stargaze for hours (if I didn't have to go to bed early), and I also love faerie, wizard and dragon imagery. I've always wanted to collect faerie statuettes. I really want one of those blue-with-yellow-stars wizard hats because why not
Til the light takes us.

Tags: