collapse

Author Topic: Octopus calling?  (Read 1777 times)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Octopus calling?
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:24:51 pm »
So the past few months or so I've been surrounded by octopi (not literally, but tattoos, home decor, etc) and only just noticed it the last couple weeks.

The first one to come around that really caught my attention was an Amazon link to an incredible bowl* on the Offbeat Bride website (awesome site for wedding planning that's... eclectic) a few months vack. Then from there one of my co-workers got a half sleeve of an octopus and she always wears a necklace with one. Now I'm seeing them crop up everywhere. Granted, all the decor I'm finding on Amazon is probably because of looking at that bowl so it's giving me tailored stuff, but it's not just Amazon. Even Fiancé has a scuba diving video of one from our trip to the Caymans in May.

I've just been noticing a pattern of them showing up. Googling "octopus symbolism" isn't really helpful other than mostly tattoo stuff and basic "dexterity, complexity, OMG spirals" vagueness.

Does anyone have personal experience with the octopus? I love me some UPG, everyone knows that. Or links to more reputable sites than Quora or tattoo designs.

*Since I don't know how to make a hyperlink have text, here's the link to the bowl. It's expensive but awesome regardless.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBIF65O/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_UyEUzbVVS4ZG4

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
Re: Octopus calling?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:35:38 am »
So the past few months or so I've been surrounded by octopi (not literally, but tattoos, home decor, etc) and only just noticed it the last couple weeks.

The first one to come around that really caught my attention was an Amazon link to an incredible bowl* on the Offbeat Bride website (awesome site for wedding planning that's... eclectic) a few months vack. Then from there one of my co-workers got a half sleeve of an octopus and she always wears a necklace with one. Now I'm seeing them crop up everywhere. Granted, all the decor I'm finding on Amazon is probably because of looking at that bowl so it's giving me tailored stuff, but it's not just Amazon. Even Fiancé has a scuba diving video of one from our trip to the Caymans in May.

I've just been noticing a pattern of them showing up. Googling "octopus symbolism" isn't really helpful other than mostly tattoo stuff and basic "dexterity, complexity, OMG spirals" vagueness.

Does anyone have personal experience with the octopus? I love me some UPG, everyone knows that. Or links to more reputable sites than Quora or tattoo designs.

*Since I don't know how to make a hyperlink have text, here's the link to the bowl. It's expensive but awesome regardless.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBIF65O/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_UyEUzbVVS4ZG4

Well, part of that is probably because they're extremely fashionable right now (heck, even Home Depot keeps them in regular stock for cabinet hardware), which I think has to do with steampunk via Jules Verne meets H.P. Lovecraft.

That said, I understand they are thought to be the most intelligent of invertebrates and actually on a par with many mammals, so cleverness could be one possible association.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:29:22 am »

Oh, that is lovely!

On how to make a hyperlink have text (these are instructions for how it's done using a regular browser connection; you might have to experiment to adjust for Tapatalk):

Click the hyperlink button above the composition box (second row, second from the right, has a 'globe and sheet of paper' icon design). Instead of pasting the URL in between the opening and closing parts of the link code, move the cursor back a space so that it's inside the opening code but after 'url'. Type =, then paste the URL. Move the cursor back between the opening and closing codebits, and add the text you want. It should look like this:
[url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBIF65O/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_UyEUzbVVS4ZG4]Octopus bowl[/url]
and result in this:
Octopus bowl

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 07:44:03 am »
Oh, that is lovely!

On how to make a hyperlink have text (these are instructions for how it's done using a regular browser connection; you might have to experiment to adjust for Tapatalk):

Click the hyperlink button above the composition box (second row, second from the right, has a 'globe and sheet of paper' icon design). Instead of pasting the URL in between the opening and closing parts of the link code, move the cursor back a space so that it's inside the opening code but after 'url'. Type =, then paste the URL. Move the cursor back between the opening and closing codebits, and add the text you want. It should look like this:
[url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBIF65O/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_UyEUzbVVS4ZG4]Octopus bowl[/url]
and result in this:
Octopus bowl

Sunflower
quick test?

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 07:48:25 am »
quick test?

Hey look it works! Thanks Sunflower!

Anyways. Back to octopi. I was doing some more reading last night and trying to figure out if Octopus is actually calling to me or it it's just the on trend thing like Ashmire said. None of the associations I've been reading really have anything to do with what's going on in my life right now. So I'm beginning to think it's just coincidence.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:48:12 am »
Wasn't there a funny octopus in "Finding Dorie" if I remember correctly...?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 01:48:04 am »
Hey look it works!

It looks right, but doesn't actually work - you've got some extra code in there, it looks like. But, further discussion about this should probably take place somewhere like Board Questions so as not to derail your octopus thread.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 02:37:46 am »
Hey look it works! Thanks Sunflower!

Anyways. Back to octopi. I was doing some more reading last night and trying to figure out if Octopus is actually calling to me or it it's just the on trend thing like Ashmire said. None of the associations I've been reading really have anything to do with what's going on in my life right now. So I'm beginning to think it's just coincidence.

Perhaps it could be indicative of something long reaching coming to pass?  Or long termed, perhaps?  Perhaps a long term investment coming to pass, or maturing?  I don't believe in coincidences, so I would say that if you're constantly seeing it, it means something.
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 235
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal