Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Multiple separate paths and beliefs  (Read 5703 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Multiple separate paths and beliefs
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 11:33:32 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;162408
Yeah, but as I mentioned to DF, isn't it one-sided? Christianity may make the claim that one can only worship God, but I don't know of any polytheistic religions that say one can worship a variety of deities except God. Only worshiping God doesn't break any rules of worship in polytheism.

But one can't really practice a cultural polytheism without acknowledging the gods of that culture.  One can do something derived from that, but it would not be that religion.

This is kind of what I'm looking for, and I'd love if you could be more specific on the purpose of these. I'm wondering if the devil is in the details. Do the rules of symbolism confuse the purpose of the symbolism? For example, if the purpose of feasting is to invite god/s to the table, and the purpose of fasting is to bring one closer to a god/s, then they share that common purpose and a substitute practice could be performed. Or, one could alternate between feasting and fasting.

Purpose doesn't matter, though.  You cannot light a fire and not light a fire at the same time.  You cannot never wear animal products and wear leather at the same time.  You cannot have a bare head while wearing a hat.  These are things that are not feasable.

(Though of course now I'm thinking of the Hitchhikers' Guide Infocom game.  I need my tea and my no tea....)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 11:52:58 pm »
This is kind of what I'm looking for, and I'd love if you could be more specific on the purpose of these. I'm wondering if the devil is in the details. Do the rules of symbolism confuse the purpose of the symbolism? For example, if the purpose of feasting is to invite god/s to the table, and the purpose of fasting is to bring one closer to a god/s, then they share that common purpose and a substitute practice could be performed. Or, one could alternate between feasting and fasting.

Well, I'd suggest that doing so is a bad idea and a way to make yourself rather sick...

I may fast for one god and then, after my body is okay to feast, feast for another. But that is also within one single religious tradition. And I wouldn't do a quick 'fast-then-feast' or vice versa cause, bad for my body, and also I'd feel it would be disrespectful to the deities I was performing the specific act for...

And I could not, at all, swap out fasting for feasting. If there were health concerns I might not have to do one or the other, but I couldn't simply say to the gods, 'oh, i'm going to replace your feasting day with a fasting day'. They...aren't actually that comparable...because of my religious tradition! In another religious tradition, who knows??

Also, as Darkhawk wrote...you can't do two conflicting things at once.

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 02:48:54 am »
Yeah, but as I mentioned to DF, isn't it one-sided? Christianity may make the claim that one can only worship God, but I don't know of any polytheistic religions that say one can worship a variety of deities except God. Only worshiping God doesn't break any rules of worship in polytheism.

I just really don't have issues with this, except for a matter of semantics.  There is God.  Thou Art God.  Then's there's a lot of (G)gods that people want to claim as God, or the (G)gods themselves want to claim that honor.

I don't worship any god, including God, for Thou Art God.  (I'm Pythagorean, too, if I hadn't mentioned it before...!)  I don't believe that all the gods are facets of God, they are God, as are we.

I don't want to get into this topic, but as a biologist it's the best analogy I have.  A zygote is the embodiment of a human and is human.  It's the one and the many.  It's a single cell but contains the whole.

Ending it, I'm going to say that those wearing the Yahweh jerseys are winning in the first quarter, and there's a very strong fan-base.  There are, however, other teams and they rise and fall like the wave crests.  But the NFL still dominates, regardless of who the current flavor is!

(I'm not nearly as good as Jesus was with his metaphors!)
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Tags: