Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Illegitimates, the lot of them  (Read 2881 times)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Illegitimates, the lot of them
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:37:51 am »
And being a bastard (uh, "illegitimate child" is more formal a term but not better necessarily if I may say so myself...) of a Tagalog region—taga ilog, translating to "of the rivers"—my bastard name would be Faemon Rivers...but only if my undocumented parent were a nob who acknowledged parentage without legitimizing me under their House.

I didn't want to hijack Altair's thread, so let's give this a spin here. What would your Westeros bastard name be? Does it fit you? Or is perhaps your current location more suitable?

By both birth and residence, I'd be a Flowers, which is so off it's not even funny. The East Anglian farmlands are way too tame for either my taste or my temperament. My mother's neck of the woods would make me a Rivers, but I never felt any affinity for the Trent either. I'd much rather be a Storm, in honour of my father's Yorkshire roots.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Illegitimates, the lot of them
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:10:43 am »
I didn't want to hijack Altair's thread, so let's give this a spin here. What would your Westeros bastard name be? Does it fit you? Or is perhaps your current location more suitable?
I'd be a "Wein" which is the German word for wine, since I come from a wine region, lol

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:22:07 pm »

By both birth and residence, I'd be a Flowers, which is so off it's not even funny. The East Anglian farmlands are way too tame for either my taste or my temperament. My mother's neck of the woods would make me a Rivers, but I never felt any affinity for the Trent either. I'd much rather be a Storm, in honour of my father's Yorkshire roots.

My bastard name would be Woods as I was born in rural WV. Seeing as I was actually a bastard I would much prefer this to my adopted last name.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:19:29 pm »
My bastard name would be Woods as I was born in rural WV. Seeing as I was actually a bastard I would much prefer this to my adopted last name.
Ha. I'd be a Snow. My maternal grandparents were both born in Russia and my grandmother has some Swiss in her. If that's not Snow then I don't know what is.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:46:38 pm »

If I were illegitimate, my last name would be Asphalt. Born in Manhattan, baby! And still living here.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 06:26:17 pm »

Born and mostly raised in Vancouver & currently living here, so, uh...Rain, probably.

Actually kinda works better than my birth last name, seeing as I did a formal ritual to be adopted by a god of rain. XD 
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:28:24 am »

Utah certainly gives quite a plethora of possible options.  One could go with the already well-used Snow, or with Redrock, or Sagebrush, or Temples.  Or Salt (Alkali? ).  I think even though the Red Rock  country is my favorite in most ways, I'd go with Coppermines, since that was the physically nearest major landmark to where I actually lived as a child and I have lots of memories of sneaking around there at night to enjoy the view.   

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Religion: Celtic Shamanic Wicca, currently studing Druidry and I'm in OBOD.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:36:47 pm »

Considering I live in the Province of Quebec in Canada, cannot get more north in North America, and that we've been here for a few generations,  I'd say Snow.  Our winters last around 5-6 months with lots of snow and wind.  Well, I love snow and find it beautiful, and whenever they show scenes from the North and Winterfell, to me it feels like they're showing scenes from home.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:39:09 pm by Nothingness »

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 12:04:35 am »
Considering I live in the Province of Quebec in Canada, cannot get more north in North America

I think Nunavut begs to differ. (Or Greenland, if you count it as part of the North American continent, as it does share the same plate.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Religion: Celtic Shamanic Wicca, currently studing Druidry and I'm in OBOD.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 08:16:26 pm »
I think Nunavut begs to differ. (Or Greenland, if you count it as part of the North American continent, as it does share the same plate.)

I meant the country Canada is the northern part of America, cannot get more North than that, and that I live in the Province of Quebec in Canada, been here for generations.  Winter lasts around 5 months and we get lots of snow and wind.  I live close to the border so it's actually warmer than the rest of the province in winter.  I'm French-Canadian and one of our artist Gilles Vigneaut says in his song Mon Pays  (translated from French) ''My country is not a country, it's winter''.  He was talking about our weather but also our cultural division with the rest of North America.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/mon-pays/

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 05:09:20 pm »

The part of Ireland I live in now was named after a Marsh (Cork was 'Corcach Mór na Mumhan"- The Great Marsh of Munster) so probably Marsh or Bog as I do intend to settle here permanently.

However I was born in Dublin and grew up there so perhaps I could be either 'Pool' or 'Ford'.
The word Dublin comes from 'Dubh Linn' (Dubh= dark/black, Linn= pool), but the Irish name is Baile Átha Cliath ('Town of the hurdled ford', meaning a narrow point on the river that can be crossed). It is thought that there was a Christian settlement named Áth Cliath there first and then the Vikings settled and created the Dubhlinn one, over time they merged and grew into modern Dublin.  :D
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Tags: got names pop culture