collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: I have a problem with the word "witch" (and I would like your help!)  (Read 13849 times)

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
Re: I have a problem with the word "witch" (and I would like your help!)
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2014, 06:19:59 pm »
Quote from: Queen of Wands;153392
I too, am making the jump back from potential to Kinetic! And I think I may have a word in mind...Spiritualist.

Two weeks later...I think I found the right word. :)

rawtruth

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2014, 07:14:26 am »
I don't really like labels much as I feel they bind you with the limitation that label carry's with it. I also feel like the word witch is a originally a bad name as I cant see the people who burned us calling us anything nice. However I do find the word witch useful on the internet as searching for witchcraft and witches is far more easy than searching for something with no name.

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »
Quote from: rawtruth;154538
I don't really like labels much as I feel they bind you with the limitation that label carry's with it. I also feel like the word witch is a originally a bad name as I cant see the people who burned us calling us anything nice. However I do find the word witch useful on the internet as searching for witchcraft and witches is far more easy than searching for something with no name.

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2014, 02:16:14 am »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;153308

I think this is very relatable to most of us. I find myself in the same situation since organized religion gives me anxiety. I've turned to the word "witch" which I believe is not attached to any religious practice but still encompasses what I practice and what I do. With my friends, I use it and they know I'm not being silly or Harry Pottery and they have done ritual with me so they give me a sort of "credibility" that I appreciate. On the other hand, I went to Target the other day and was wearing a very small and dainty pentagram necklace and the employee asked me if I was Jewish. Reluctant to say "no, I'm Wiccan" (since I don't identify as a Wiccan), I said "No, I'm a witch." He was quiet for a minute and said "a witch?" and I smiled and said yes. Then he said ok and started to walk away to find the thing I was shopping for. I asked if I shoudl follow him and he said "Sure but dont cast a spell on me." Needless to say, I felt a little mocked.

I had a somewhat similar situation happen to me at work a few nights ago.  A women I work with was asking me about Salem Mass.  I have been there, she has not and wants to go for Halloween next year (2015).  I was talking about the things I most enjoyed and I mentioned I liked shopping at a few of the shops owned by Witches.  She suddenly looked at me really seriously and said, "They're good witches, right?"  For a second I didn't really know how to respond, but I did tell her that they were "good witches."  I'm not out of the broom closet at work so I didn't want to get in depth with her about what I meant by witches.  I was just surprised because I ubiquity of Wiccans, Witches and other Pagans in the media now-a-days I assumed that when I said Witch she would at the very least think something Charmed or Buffy-esq even if she didn't known anything else.  I never thought she might actually fear Witches.

If asked directly I will described myself as a Witch.  I had a girl I go to school with ask me directly after I gave her a lift home and she noticed a pentagram hanging from my rear-view mirror if I was a Wiccan (I assume this is the only form of Paganism she had been exposed to) and I told not really but I am a Witch.  I only did that because, 1) she had seen the pentagram and 2) I knew she was open minded enough not act weird about it.  If I was asked by someone I didn't know very well I would say I was Agnostic, which is not totally inaccurate and easy for someone from the general population to understand.  I don't think it much matters what you call yourself in your own head as long as it has meaning to you.  You can think of yourself as a Jedi if that's what works for you as far as I'm concerned, but I you do have to be careful about the baggage that comes with certain terms for people in general.

Tags: