Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Goddess worship  (Read 2529 times)

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Goddess worship
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:28:52 pm »
It's been over five years since I considered myself a hard core goddess worshiper. Since then I have studied many paths and have stopped believing in any goddesses at all.

However recently I just started a new relationship and my boyfriend is a worshiper of Gaia. He got me thinking about the goddess again. Though I'm not sure how to reconnect with her or even if I can since I've been taught my entire life that god is GOD, aka seen as male as opposed to female.

I've been happy recently just following male deities. However I do feel I am missing something without my connection to the Goddess.

Anyone been in a similar situation or know someone who has? Thanks.
Conformity is the death of individualism

Pain and Light

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://painandlight.wordpress.com
Re: Goddess worship
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:50:29 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;25844
It's been over five years since I considered myself a hard core goddess worshiper. Since then I have studied many paths and have stopped believing in any goddesses at all.

However recently I just started a new relationship and my boyfriend is a worshiper of Gaia. He got me thinking about the goddess again. Though I'm not sure how to reconnect with her or even if I can since I've been taught my entire life that god is GOD, aka seen as male as opposed to female.

I've been happy recently just following male deities. However I do feel I am missing something without my connection to the Goddess.

Anyone been in a similar situation or know someone who has? Thanks.

Not me myself, I am a follower generally of male deities, though gender is really irrelevant for me, it just happens that I am attracted to those particular deities and oh, well they happen to be male and I'm reasonably sure that, all other thgins identical, if they were female, I would still be with the same deities.

That said....I see that you indicate your religion to be Norse but you also say that you were previously a "hard core goddess worshipper".

So that leads me to a few questions....were you a goddess monotheist? What did you, in that time, believe regarding male deity? Perhaps the problem- or at least part of it- lies in the idea of all or nothing with male or female divinity.

If you are a follower of the Norse gods, what do you think of Norse goddesses? Do you believe there is any truth to the mythology? Can you somehow justify beliving that many gods exist but not many goddesses.

I also notice that you refer to "male deities" but also to  "the goddess". Is there a reason you see female divinity as one, but male divinity as many? Or in referring to "The goddess" are you at this point holding on to past-used terminology?

If that is the case, and you have no problems with many different male divinities, perhaps it would be helpful if you started thinking of many different female divinities, each with her own different personality instead of a single The Goddess mono-figure.

Other than past teachings, is there anythgin else that might be hindering you? Is there something that you can see in male divinity but not female? Does it make any difference if you think of different goddesses, such as a war goddess, for example as opposed to more of a mother/hearth and home goddess?

Just some things that immediately come to mind to think about that might help to sort things out as to where you stand.If you're missing female divinity, there's probably a reason for it, but if you're resistant to The Goddess that you keep referring to, there's probably a reason for that too.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 11:29:10 pm »
Quote from: Pain and Light;25879
So that leads me to a few questions....were you a goddess monotheist? What did you, in that time, believe regarding male deity?

For a while, I only followed the goddess, not believing in and/or not following any male deity whatsoever.

If you are a follower of the Norse gods, what do you think of Norse goddesses? Do you believe there is any truth to the mythology?

Regarding Norse goddesses, I accept that they may exist, though I have no experience with any of them, while I have experience with at least a few of the gods. I don't believe there's any truth to the mythologies. I think they're a collection of stories that teach us about the character of our gods.

I also notice that you refer to "male deities" but also to  "the goddess". Is there a reason you see female divinity as one, but male divinity as many? Or in referring to "The goddess" are you at this point holding on to past-used terminology?

I have experience with many gods, but with only one goddess. I tend to see the goddess as being of the earth. I don't see her as plural as I tend to see the gods. I have never had experience with multiple goddesses so I have no reason to believe there's more than one.

Other than past teachings, is there anything else that might be hindering you? Is there something that you can see in male divinity but not female? Does it make any difference if you think of different goddesses, such as a war goddess, for example as opposed to more of a mother/hearth and home goddess?

I have a harder time relating to female divinity. I'm not sure why.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:47:35 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;25844
..  Anyone been in a similar situation or know someone who has? Thanks.

Not exactly the same situation but one you may find as food for though.

I am 52 years old, a point that needs to be made to see the time lines as they unfolded.  From the time of my birth to abt my 20th birthday I was pulled and close to the Goddess.  Artemis appeared to me in my youth and pulled me into the wilds and walked the woodland trails and mountain ridges.  Even most of my teaching was done through my female elders who oversaw everything.

Yet once I reached adulthood and startted walking into the male mysteries and callings the Goddesses stepped away and two gods came into play.  One was the god Sekor the only a person I only know as the Huntsman.

I entered the Military right out of high school and by my 20th birthday was in the Navy.  For the next 23 years the goddesses were pretty much silent and away from me as the gods influenced and guided me.  They carried me through war, through fatherhood, through life and death and a hundred other things.

In the final year of my career the goddesses Artemis, Hekate, Bastet and Pahket moved back into my life or stepped forward again.  Over the course of a six month med deployment each came forward and re-established their presence and re-directed my attention to thier energies and teachings.

For 9 years after I retired I worked for a local school system and the transistion continued to shift as the gods stepped back and the goddesses stepped forward.  I went from a male dominated job and atmosphere to a job where I was one of the few males in a female intensive environment.  Where everything was foreign but highly directed towards the goddess energies of nurture, compassion, caring.

Today I am disabled and unable to work and the goddesses are my main companions now.  The gods Sekor and The Huntsman still remain and still look in and call to me but the main scope is the goddess energies.  But the goddess energies now compliment the god energies and between them are a much smoother and blended feel than was ever present in my youth or my adult life in the military.

To use the notion of Yin and Yang those energies are balanced and supportive of one another now.  Yet it is never a 50 / 50 balance but a sliding scale balance where when I need the projecting energies of the gods that is the main thrust yet when I need the more passive and receptive energies of the goddesses then that becomes the major focus and enpowerment.

Yet at times the scale may slide to such an extreme that one appears to vanish as it fades from an active state.  Yet it nevet trully fades even when we do not sense or see them.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:51:04 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;26025
Not exactly the same situation but one you may find as food for though.

I am 52 years old, a point that needs to be made to see the time lines as they unfolded.  From the time of my birth to abt my 20th birthday I was pulled and close to the Goddess.  Artemis appeared to me in my youth and pulled me into the wilds and walked the woodland trails and mountain ridges.  Even most of my teaching was done through my female elders who oversaw everything.

Yet once I reached adulthood and startted walking into the male mysteries and callings the Goddesses stepped away and two gods came into play.  One was the god Sekor the only a person I only know as the Huntsman.

I entered the Military right out of high school and by my 20th birthday was in the Navy.  For the next 23 years the goddesses were pretty much silent and away from me as the gods influenced and guided me.  They carried me through war, through fatherhood, through life and death and a hundred other things.

In the final year of my career the goddesses Artemis, Hekate, Bastet and Pahket moved back into my life or stepped forward again.  Over the course of a six month med deployment each came forward and re-established their presence and re-directed my attention to thier energies and teachings.

For 9 years after I retired I worked for a local school system and the transistion continued to shift as the gods stepped back and the goddesses stepped forward.  I went from a male dominated job and atmosphere to a job where I was one of the few males in a female intensive environment.  Where everything was foreign but highly directed towards the goddess energies of nurture, compassion, caring.

Today I am disabled and unable to work and the goddesses are my main companions now.  The gods Sekor and The Huntsman still remain and still look in and call to me but the main scope is the goddess energies.  But the goddess energies now compliment the god energies and between them are a much smoother and blended feel than was ever present in my youth or my adult life in the military.

To use the notion of Yin and Yang those energies are balanced and supportive of one another now.  Yet it is never a 50 / 50 balance but a sliding scale balance where when I need the projecting energies of the gods that is the main thrust yet when I need the more passive and receptive energies of the goddesses then that becomes the major focus and enpowerment.

Yet at times the scale may slide to such an extreme that one appears to vanish as it fades from an active state.  Yet it nevet trully fades even when we do not sense or see them.

Thanks for your reply. Though most of this does not apply to me.

Tags: