collapse

Author Topic: Getting back into paganism  (Read 1701 times)

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Getting back into paganism
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:38:40 am »
I wasn't really sure where to post this but this seemed like the right place
I have been in hospital for mental health for a year or so and only got back about 6 months ago. I found that while i was in hospital i had no way to practice my religion and so i have gotten out of the habit of practicing. I don't even celebrate the wheel of the year anymore because every time a holiday comes up i plan to celebrate it and then forget.
I was just wondering if anyone can think of a good way to get back into practicing my religion. I thought i could start by celebrating the autumn equinox as that is the next holiday in my calendar but i am not even sure where to start.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Getting back into paganism
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:42:27 am »
Quote from: Moonstone;179362

I was just wondering if anyone can think of a good way to get back into practicing my religion. I thought i could start by celebrating the autumn equinox as that is the next holiday in my calendar but i am not even sure where to start.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

A good place to start thinking about it would depend on what your practices were like when you were practicing. Did you like those? Did you not like them? Do you like the idea of them, but it seems too complicated to try and sort out right now?

Another place to think about is what fall equinox means to you, in terms of your ritual year. For some people it's a harvest festival. For some people it's about finding a point of balance. For some people it's about looking at broader views of harvest, what people have been working on all year. (For me, it's also my birthday, and I pretty much tend to think that it should involve good food and good company, whatever else it includes.)

Are there foods you associate with it? Smells? Visual things?

Very simple things can also be very powerful. Since you've had trouble remembering, first, put some reminders on a calendar, or however you will best remind yourself.

Another option might be to commit to doing a small thing each day for a week or two weeks before the Sabbat. For example, maybe you decide to set up a small altar or shrine area, and each day, you add something to it. That could be a word, written on paper and set out, it could be a leaf or acorn or flower you find outside. It could be taking something you already own and adding it to the altar, deliberately, it could be printing a photo off the internet. Doing a little something each day would both make it less overwhelming, and less likely you'd forget.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: