collapse

Author Topic: Drugs, Seeing Gods, and States of Consiousness  (Read 5392 times)

letty

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs, Seeing Gods, and States of Consiousness
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 10:45:25 pm »
Quote from: Tabris;92288
I would like to know what anyone's thoughts are on, if the use of hallucinogenic drugs , whether they're natural or man-made, actually elevate one's mind into a more perceptual form of consciousness

I ask this because over my winter break from college I went to a party and took something that sent me on a crazy trip that I keep wondering if what I saw was real or just the drug. If you would like to know what I saw message me cuz a part of me doesn't want it to be typed on a forum post.

Anyway what are your guys' thoughts? Can hallucinogenic drugs be a valuable tools when perceiving spiritual occurrences or do they merely create very realistic delusions? Also I hope I put this in the right category and apologize if it isn't

I think it would be interesting to think about what you mean by "real" and "realistic delusions". Can a "realistic delusion" still be spiritually fulfilling? Can you learn something from it? And how can you really tell the difference anyway, and is there a difference? Those questions interest me more than trying to define what is or isn't a spiritual occurence.

luc798

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 07:26:51 am »
I would like to know what anyone's thoughts are on, if the use of hallucinogenic drugs , whether they're natural or man-made, actually elevate one's mind into a more perceptual form of consciousness

I ask this because over my winter break from college I went to a party and took something that sent me on a crazy trip that I keep wondering if what I saw was real or just the drug. If you would like to know what I saw message me cuz a part of me doesn't want it to be typed on a forum post.

Anyway what are your guys' thoughts? Can hallucinogenic drugs be a valuable tools when perceiving spiritual occurrences or do they merely create very realistic delusions? Also I hope I put this in the right category and apologize if it isn't

This TED (banned, BTW) talk pretty much sums up my opinion:

not only are hallucinogenic experiences real but helpful and part of the "problem with drugs" is the dissociation they have had with the spiritual realm. I mean, many shamans and older religions used rutinary these substances * (I refer to "natural" unrefined drugs. coca leaf tea, mushrooms, marihuana.. etc). I think when this substances are used and respected within this context is ok and experiences are very valid.

Ami

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 09:48:29 am »

I don't use illicit drugs, never have and never will. I don't support the use of them for many reasons.

However, for the purposes of your question I will add that I come from a scientific background and I venture to explain that which I experience, if at all possible. Keeping that in mind, drugs are unreliable and not needed, so I do not do them and I discount experiences that people have shared when under the influence. I occasionally take a sleeping pill when insomnia rears its ugly head, I experience the most vivid crazy dreams when I do, and I discount those as well.

I believe we are born with what we need to experience the mystical without having to damage our minds with drugs.

However, this is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.
Deleted profile. Not playing with the fluffies. Not going to be attacked because someone took offense to a statement about someone else. Seriously.. snap out of it. The world isn\'t about YOU.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26:32 am »
Quote from: Ami;135129
I don't use illicit drugs, never have and never will. I don't support the use of them for many reasons.

However, for the purposes of your question I will add that I come from a scientific background and I venture to explain that which I experience, if at all possible. Keeping that in mind, drugs are unreliable and not needed, so I do not do them and I discount experiences that people have shared when under the influence. I occasionally take a sleeping pill when insomnia rears its ugly head, I experience the most vivid crazy dreams when I do, and I discount those as well.

I believe we are born with what we need to experience the mystical without having to damage our minds with drugs.

However, this is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

But wouldn't this reasoning lead to you discounting the spiritual experiences of anybody taking any medicine?

I personally don't use drugs specifically in my spiritual practices  for various reasons, but I respect the use of them as tools for spiritual work both in historical and  contemporary contexts
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Ami

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 11:08:03 am »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;135133
But wouldn't this reasoning lead to you discounting the spiritual experiences of anybody taking any medicine?

I am of two minds about it. At very least, there is less credibility in such cases.

Given judgement is skewed in those circumstances, I can't trust it. I have seen too many minds fried by drugs, I have seen a friend completely lose it, imagining things that never happened. She swore they did.. I know they didn't because I was there.

Certain states are triggered by certain chemicals of course, however they are not the only effects that they have on a person, so.. alas.. I am not willing to accept the recollection of experiences with the utmost of trust or confidence.

If your mind is under the influence, so is your judgment. The term "medicine" is rather vague.. an aspirin is most likely not going to make you "trip".. 50mg of doxylamine will. (Active ingredient of the sleeping pill I take when I suffer insomnia)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:11:34 am by Ami »
Deleted profile. Not playing with the fluffies. Not going to be attacked because someone took offense to a statement about someone else. Seriously.. snap out of it. The world isn\'t about YOU.

Tags: