collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Do your god/desses stay locally?  (Read 4736 times)

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Re: Do your god/desses stay locally?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:43 pm »
Quote from: EJay;71086
How local are your god/desses?  Do they stay within a geographical boundary?

I'm just wondering if they find proof of life on Mars--or not--with the rovers, are there different god/desses on different planets?  Are there some universal god/desses?

I'm nowhere near Hawai'i, but Pele shows up in my life even here in Texas.  However, I think she is earth-centered.  I don't think I would find her on Mars.  Don't know, of course, just a gut feeling, but then again I wouldn't be surprised to find her on Olympus Mons, either.

Just wondering about different pantheons and how they exist in a universal vs. global context.

I think they may have ties to certain areas, types of places, and the like, but I do not consider them strictly bound to them.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Lykeios Lysios

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Shamanism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/any (Fluid)
Do your god/desses stay locally?
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 07:52:38 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;122969
I believe that my Gods live wherever they please. I try not to put to many restrictions on deity.

I tend to agree with that too now that I think of it. Though I do stop short of having omni-omni deities.
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei Ayanami
"Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate." - Zhuangzi

Aett of Cups

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bookofspirals.com
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 01:50:43 am »

I'm just wondering if they find proof of life on Mars--or not--with the rovers, are there different god/desses on different planets?  Are there some universal god/desses?

I'm nowhere near Hawai'i, but Pele shows up in my life even here in Texas.  However, I think she is earth-centered.  I don't think I would find her on Mars.  Don't know, of course, just a gut feeling, but then again I wouldn't be surprised to find her on Olympus Mons, either.

Just wondering about different pantheons and how they exist in a universal vs. global context.

Excellent question.

I sometimes astral project into space.  I see deities there, but they seem to have preferences just as they would for terrestrial landscapes.  Iris likes anyplace with light and color.  Loki seems to like any place that's sufficiently warm or where there are tricksters.  I've only seen Herne on planets with vegetation.  You get the idea.  In my experience, Pele loves Io, one of Jupiter's moons.  I wouldn't think she'd like Olympus Mons, though, since it would appear to be dead.  But, as I've never looked for her there, I wouldn't know.  And I feel that our personalities are connected to the gods' and that they can manifest differently for each person; it might be she'd be there for you and not me or vice versa.
Aett of Cups

Book of Spirals is my author site.
The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Abduzza

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 11:35:57 pm »

Not really. My deities seem to be world wide in their response though the culture that "Spawned" them is in a certain place. Also my path is centered around semi-permanent ka'aba's and the gods reside there when there is one. So I think they are limited to an area in that sense.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:37:17 pm by Abduzza »

EmissaryOfMinong

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 03:03:22 am »

Well, Minong is my Patron, and while she's a genius loci of an island, she's frequently with me, thousands of miles from that island. And I use Patron, not Patroness, on purpose.

The deities in my life can pretty much come and go as they please, anywhere and any time. I'm sure that, say, Thor would like it if I went seeking out sites sacred to him, and I might have a better connection to him while there, but I won't say it's needed in order to talk to him.

The question about other planets is making me think. Very interesting. But I don't know an answer.

Hearth Keeper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://witchfire02.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 12:28:22 pm »
Well, I guess Mother Earth is pretty local, lol, She's everywhere.  Father Sun and Sister Moon, They're....kind of local, in terms of whether or not I see/feel them, but overall, obviously They're in space.

Seeing as I'm in Ohio, no where near Greece, no Hestia is not a local.  She visits from time to time, but She's a Goddess, She's got other places to be, other devotees to visit, other Deity duties to perform.  

Heck, even most of my Spirit Animals aren't local!  Some of them are found in the same country, but I think only Chickadee is local.  

Interesting question.  Good job.
~)O(~

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 03:25:25 pm »

Mine is sort of. He works in one place (though it may be vast) at a time.

Enid

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 12:56:13 am »

You know, that is an interesting thing to ponder. I have two "sets" of deities I am close to. One is the Vanir (specifically Frey and Freya) and the other is the Caddi Ayo. Caddi Ayo is both an ancestral (Caddo tribe, Native American) and a local deity for me. My UPG is that Caddi Ayo is much more tied to the land than the Vanir, but that may be because I feel he is much more in tune with the land here, because this is the land where he originated.

Granted, that doesn't mean that Caddi Ayo can't be worshiped in Zimbabwe. I don't hold any claims to any God/desses.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

Tags: