Re: Pagan Traitor Storms the US Capitol? by Altair
[Yesterday at 12:44:20 pm]

Re: Do you feel any level of resentment toward Christmas? by Louisvillian
[Yesterday at 05:37:26 am]

Re: Favorite Beer? by Larix
[Yesterday at 03:18:50 am]

Re: Your favourite wine by Larix
[Yesterday at 03:16:38 am]

Author Topic: Crows, Ravens and other corvids (if you like)  (Read 778 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druidry-leaning learner
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Crows, Ravens and other corvids (if you like)
« on: December 15, 2020, 03:35:30 pm »
I wondered elseforum whether there are any YouTubers who have videos covering the mythology, symbolism & etc of crows (from a learned position) as I haven't the time to do a lot of research in the form of reading.

It's also made me wonder, do crows/ravens (or other corvids) have any personal symbolism for you?  If so, where does that come from, in brief (if you're comfortable sharing)?  Is it symbolism you share with your/any other tradition(s), or is it fairly unique to you, so far as you're aware?

What about other birds?  (Allaya and Altair, I'll just take both your answers as being generally into birds, unless/until you can find a moment to post   ;D)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Anon100

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: Crows, Ravens and other corvids (if you like)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 04:20:52 pm »
It's also made me wonder, do crows/ravens (or other corvids) have any personal symbolism for you?  If so, where does that come from, in brief (if you're comfortable sharing)?  Is it symbolism you share with your/any other tradition(s), or is it fairly unique to you, so far as you're aware?

What about other birds?  (Allaya and Altair, I'll just take both your answers as being generally into birds, unless/until you can find a moment to post   ;D)

Arggg, where to start?

Strange how some things I feel reluctant to talk about. They're protectors and seers to me. Guardians I suppose.
This comes from their intelligence and the way they chase off hawks, such tales as those of the Rainbow Crow and others. Most of all just the way they are.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 06:24:33 pm »
It's also made me wonder, do crows/ravens (or other corvids) have any personal symbolism for you?  If so, where does that come from, in brief (if you're comfortable sharing)? 

For me, ravens represent intelligence and ingenuity - mostly due to some articles in National Geographic a while back about how smart they are.

(Favorite anecdote: Ravens in northern cities noticed that street lights were controlled by light sensors to come on when it gets dark. So they started sitting on the sensors to block them, so thelight comes on and warms up.)

Plus, the association with the Tower of London and the British crown. I'm a bit of a monarchist  ;)

In my area there used to only be crows; I recently saw my first (wild) raven in person ... it was rummaging in a dumpster, natch.

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 08:32:31 pm »
I wondered elseforum whether there are any YouTubers who have videos covering the mythology, symbolism & etc of crows (from a learned position) as I haven't the time to do a lot of research in the form of reading.

Corvids have no specific personal symbolism for me, although I consider them among the coolest of birds. However, in my half-assed attempts at augury--divination through observing the flight of birds--they hold pride of place, along with raptors. So I suppose I consider them messengers.

Other birds show up in my myths, reflecting what they symbolize for me: Blackburnian Warbler--the sheer exuberance of life; owls--knowledge and introspection; hummingbirds--relentless drive and determination. These symbolic meanings are unique to me as far as I know, with the exception of owl, of course: My symbolism deliberately draws on the common folk association of owls with wisdom, and on Athena's owl, Glaukopis.

Birds in general symbolize freedom, I think pretty much in every culture to a greater or lesser extent. For me personally, that's expressed in my myths again: When the Earth mother makes the world out of her own living body, she takes everything that's left of herself and gives it away to her children (cats get her shadow, caterpillars get her magic that allowed her to transform herself, etc.). Birds get the freedom she used to have and will never have again, and it gives them the mastery of flight.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 08:33:10 pm »

It's not something I've researched either, but am suddenly itching to do a little digging.

To borrow Anon100's response: Arggg, where to start?

I adore corvids in general, particularly crows. Associations for crows:
  • Intelligence/Curiosity - Because science says so and personal expeirences concur.
  • Memory - Again, science/personal gnosis.  Crows can remember human faces. IME, they can also differentiate and remember human voices.
  • Death - There is, of course, the association with The Morrigan and various traditions of crows taking on the role of psychopomps.  I have a personal myth which relates their role as psychopomps to the creation of the night sky (and I really need to get it written down in a sharable form).
  • Humor/Pranks -  Personal experience - 100%.  At my workplace, there is a crow who will hide on the roof just above the main employee entrance, wait until I get to the door, and then pop over the edge of the roof with a loud caw (the crow equivalent of jumping out and shouting "Boo!").  A real comedian, that one.
  • Communication - Crows talk... and talk... and talk.
  • Protection - Not in a general sense, so much as taking care of one's own. I've seen them defend their territory/community members from outsiders.

That's the short(ish) list.

"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Anon100

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 06:33:01 pm »

I just came across this item ( with videos of tests ) and thought it might be of interest - https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/news/science/ravens-cognitive-skills-similar-great-apes/

I do wonder at times what the animals are thinking when we give them tests - "Does this human really not know how to hide food. They must be really silly if they just leave clues lying round like that"???

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 09:36:52 pm »
I just came across this item ( with videos of tests ) and thought it might be of interest - https://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/news/science/ravens-cognitive-skills-similar-great-apes/

I do wonder at times what the animals are thinking when we give them tests - "Does this human really not know how to hide food. They must be really silly if they just leave clues lying round like that"???

I'm in the California desert for a few weeks, and ravens are everywhere here. So I'm thinking of taking up a project:

Better folks than I have tried to gain a deep understanding of their vocalizations, without success (so far). But I figure that since they're smart, and I'm smart, even if I can't crack their various calls nor they mine, we should be able to arrive at a mutual language of some sort that allows some basic communication. So if I can think of a way to motivate the local resident pair to want to communicate with me (food!), I may try to establish such a "language."
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 07:17:29 am »
I figure that since they're smart, and I'm smart, even if I can't crack their various calls nor they mine, we should be able to arrive at a mutual language of some sort that allows some basic communication. So if I can think of a way to motivate the local resident pair to want to communicate with me (food!), I may try to establish such a "language."

Sounds fascinating, I can't wait to hear how it goes!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 07:57:31 am »
Memory - Again, science/personal gnosis.  Crows can remember human faces. IME, they can also differentiate and remember human voices.

Oh I completely concur, in the summer when I was sitting out on the front lawn  a lot, I was building a relationship with a particular crow which appeared to have a foreshortened tail. I almost managed to get it to come sit beside me and I'm sure we were chatting with one another (because, you know, crazy cat lady but I don't confine myself to just talking to cats).  Then the autumn came and I altered my routine so I've not seen that bird again in a while, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:12:58 am by Aisling »
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 08:04:05 am »

I meant to mention, there is a YouTuber I follow who sometimes features Fable the talking Raven - she's so cute (I also really enjoy Einstein parrot, and Bowie the parakeet (I think)).
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 06:12:17 pm »

I discovered (belatedly) that it was national Bird Day today

(Link is to a charitable organisation known as Greater Good, where you can help this cause by doing some simple steps such as watching a video & etc.)
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: