collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: whats the main differences between traditionalism and reconstructionalism please?  (Read 6593 times)

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nyktipolos;143352
I can honestly say I've never heard of that before (and even then, it still doesn't bother me?), but I would be interested in reading it if you come across the source again!

From Six Ways of Being religious by Dale Cannon:
"Some writers, impressed with the striking and profound similarities between the way of the mystical quest in each of these traditions, are only too ready to draw the conclusion that the mystical quest is the same in each tradition. But this, on the basis of the author's investigations, is a premature judgment to say the least; it conveniently ignores the differences that remain to be explained by confusing generic structure with specific form."
A relatively mild criticism, but the only one to hand on my bookshelves; others put it more strongly.
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: Micheál;143327
You'll be fine, there are very very very few people people in Ireland that aren't bilingual, and the few survivors in the Gaeltachtaí that aren't have a good understanding of English anyway. Put it this way, there are more Polish and Chinese speakers here than there are Irish, and they need a certain understanding of English in order to get around.... same for Scotland, all the Gaelgoirí know eachother, and will most likely converse in English if around a stranger or tourist, but if you make an effort, I'm sure they'll apreciate it and make it worth your while.

Thanks much!  I know in some communities of the US I'd have trouble getting around without speaking Spanish, so I wasn't sure if the Gàidhealtachd was that way...though I suppose immigrant communities are not a good comparison to Gàidhealtachd communities.  I'll try to learn at least my usual foreign travel words: hello, goodbye, please, thank you, counting to ten, and where is the bathroom?

Tags: