Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: What is your religion/spiritual identity?  (Read 22283 times)

TheImperialCult

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Greco-Roman Polytheist
Re: What is your religion/spiritual identity?
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2017, 08:12:29 pm »
To be honest, I'm jealous. I've been in three separate mental institutions and not a damn one of them gave me internet access. Where are you staying?

I can't be blamed for your cognitive failings - I only know what I observe.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2017, 08:44:03 pm »
I can't be blamed for your cognitive failings - I only know what I observe.

True, true you cannot. Nor would I want you to be blamed! I have spent many years engaged in the fine cultivation of my cognitive failings. Countless hours have been devoted to crafting only the most superlative of neuroses; and I really would hate if someone else took the credit.

ETA: Although it is difficult to surpass the original lyrics, I adore modern renditions of 'I've Got a Little List' and the one in that second video is fantastic! Pop culture references to Gilbert and Sullivan warm my heart ^_^
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:46:20 pm by Castus »
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

TheImperialCult

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Greco-Roman Polytheist
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2017, 09:10:38 pm »
ETA: Although it is difficult to surpass the original lyrics, I adore modern renditions of 'I've Got a Little List' and the one in that second video is fantastic! Pop culture references to Gilbert and Sullivan warm my heart ^_^

I didn't know that was a Gilbert and Sullivan song - just more evidence the gods are very very pissed and have been for a very very long time.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »
Since I've been coming to this forum, I always glance at what people put as their "religion" and 90% of them I've never heard of.

So what is your religion? What does it mean? How did you stumble upon it?

I think I replied to this thread somewhere along the way, but this continues to change, so I'll weigh in again.

I consider myself a really wierd sort of Christian, essentially. I worship the Christian God, although they and I have had a rather awkward relationship for awhile and it's highly formal right now. Still, I have plans to officially join the Episcopal Church sometime in the next year. It feels like a good religious home communally and a good place to explore.

I also honor/revere/worship Brigid. I kind of look at gods as individuals who are also manifestations of one big God, so to speak. I think growing up with the concept of the Trinity where Jesus is his own person while also being a manifestation of God makes this work, and Brigid has been highly comforting as a liminal figure who exists quite comfortably in both the pagan and Christian world. I see her position as the midwife of Mary as incredibly symbolic: paganism gently ushering the Christ into the world instead of the two being at odds with one another (this without discounting that they have often been extremely at odds--I have experienced my fair share of harm in Christian churches and don't want anyone to think I'm dismissing this).

This is what's working for me right now. I don't know where I'll land in 5-10-20 years, but this is the happiest I've been spiritually in a long time, so I think I'll hang out here for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2017, 09:37:29 pm »
I think I replied to this thread somewhere along the way, but this continues to change, so I'll weigh in again.

I consider myself a really wierd sort of Christian, essentially. I worship the Christian God, although they and I have had a rather awkward relationship for awhile and it's highly formal right now. Still, I have plans to officially join the Episcopal Church sometime in the next year. It feels like a good religious home communally and a good place to explore.

I also honor/revere/worship Brigid. I kind of look at gods as individuals who are also manifestations of one big God, so to speak. I think growing up with the concept of the Trinity where Jesus is his own person while also being a manifestation of God makes this work, and Brigid has been highly comforting as a liminal figure who exists quite comfortably in both the pagan and Christian world. I see her position as the midwife of Mary as incredibly symbolic: paganism gently ushering the Christ into the world instead of the two being at odds with one another (this without discounting that they have often been extremely at odds--I have experienced my fair share of harm in Christian churches and don't want anyone to think I'm dismissing this).

This is what's working for me right now. I don't know where I'll land in 5-10-20 years, but this is the happiest I've been spiritually in a long time, so I think I'll hang out here for awhile.

I should also add that I have pantheistic tendencies. So make of that what you will. It's simply how the world makes the most sense to me.

Oniaten

• View Profile
  • Religion: Neo-Atensicism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2017, 05:31:52 pm »

Without getting too bogged down in the details, I practice Atensicism.  Atensic (or Ataensic, Atahensic, etc.) is the mother goddess of the Iroquoian peoples and founder of the Iroquoian pantheon.  The path is that of traditional Iroquoian religion (as opposed to more recent traditions [e.g., the Code of Handsome Lake and the Native American Church]).  I discovered Atensicism after growing discontent and dissatisfied with my former faith and wanting to learn more about the historic traditions of the land on which I was born and raised (and to which I hold a strong and ancestral bond).
"What man places faith in his heart above the animal that rages deep inside?"
—Primordial, Wield Lightning to Split the Sun

Mivi

• Apprentice
  • God divination/kut ceremony/prayerwork by apptmt!
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Religion: 무속신앙 Mugyo
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2017, 10:24:16 am »
Since I've been coming to this forum, I always glance at what people put as their "religion" and 90% of them I've never heard of.

I had my initiation almost a month ago. I'm an ordained shaman-priest  (mudang) with my people's indigenous tradition mugyo.

I only realized I was meant to be one when i received dreams from my ancestors telling me things i never would have known. I am able to do 신점 god divination, 기도 prayer ritual, and 굿 grand ceremonies.
Mivi | Mudang (Korean shaman-priest)

만신

Naunau

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2017, 02:15:39 pm »

I don't really have one, either as religion/spirituality/identity or combinations of such.

However, since I'm ignorant on these matters and I'm aware that something important to me is missing, I'd like to consider myself an eager student of many things, to some degree, if I can, as long as I can.

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2017, 03:44:22 pm »

Well mine is pretty self explanatory - I practice the old cunning craft with modern updates where appropriate - think of the old folk magic.

I'm also an initiated religious witch and teacher.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2019, 10:18:12 pm »

[I wanted to revive this thread because I think that it is one of the better things that I have read from just perusing old threads here on The Cauldron. And also I wanted to comment.]

So my religion at this moment is a Work In Progress. I am a developing Pagan Christian. I place the term Pagan first to denote that the outlook and framework that I am using is basically Nature Focused and Polytheistic, ie "Pagan". I am adding Jesus to Paganism, not the other way around. I am still working on the idea of adding a type of Paganism to a Christian framework, but it is a lower priority for me right now. Simply put, my current framework is basically "Pagan plus Christ".

I am not using a Christian Theology or outlook. I view Jesus as the White God and a good god amongst many, a sort of Prince amongst many gods. So, a polytheistic view.

I also use the term "One Source, Many Gods", which is a Westernized adaptation of my reaction to some Hindu ideas and cosmology. I view different gods and goddesses as different aspects of one Divine Source. They have individual identities, but emanate from One Source. Also, some are incarnations of others, both within some pantheons and between some different pantheons. This is UPG for me, but was inspired by applying a Hindu perspective on different deities and different cultures.

Also, I am a Pantheist, a sort of Western adapted Taoism, a Natural Pantheist who views gods and ideas of gods as expressions of a total divinity inherent in Nature and the Cosmos.

Also, as a Pagan I am mainly a Celtic Pagan since I focus mainly on Celtic gods, goddesses, spirits, and ancestors. I have some UPG that Dian Cecht might be an incarnation of Jesus. I also include some non-Celtic deities in the mix, especially Hellenic ones. I am sort of a Celt who went south and ended up in a Hellenic Polis. And then maybe tried to return north to his home, and brought some of the Hellenic Gods and Goddesses back to his homelands.

I simply put the term Universalist in my profile because I am. I am not lately subscribing to the Christian version of the term, but when I entertain Christian theology, I find that I am heavily invested in the idea of Universal Salvation.

The other meaning of the term Universal is for me a belief in Universal Religion. That all human religions are different ways of seeking the one Divine Source. So I strive to have an outlook that embraces all religions in one way of another. I respect all human religious beliefs and non-beliefs as a Universalist. I study them from a social scientific perspective, and adopt anything that is legitimate to my own views. So also Ecelctic, but hopefully respectful to other cultures, peoples, and religions.

There is more I could say about Existentialism, Jungianism, Religious Humanism, and Creative Spirituality (all terms important to the underpinnings of my beliefs), but I have said plenty so far, so I will leave those topics for a later post or maybe their own thread at some point.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2019, 03:34:35 pm »
[I wanted to revive this thread because I think that it is one of the better things that I have read from just perusing old threads here on The Cauldron. And also I wanted to comment.]

So my religion at this moment is a Work In Progress. I am a developing Pagan Christian. I place the term Pagan first to denote that the outlook and framework that I am using is basically Nature Focused and Polytheistic, ie "Pagan". I am adding Jesus to Paganism, not the other way around. I am still working on the idea of adding a type of Paganism to a Christian framework, but it is a lower priority for me right now. Simply put, my current framework is basically "Pagan plus Christ".

I am not using a Christian Theology or outlook. I view Jesus as the White God and a good god amongst many, a sort of Prince amongst many gods. So, a polytheistic view.

I also use the term "One Source, Many Gods", which is a Westernized adaptation of my reaction to some Hindu ideas and cosmology. I view different gods and goddesses as different aspects of one Divine Source. They have individual identities, but emanate from One Source. Also, some are incarnations of others, both within some pantheons and between some different pantheons. This is UPG for me, but was inspired by applying a Hindu perspective on different deities and different cultures.

Also, I am a Pantheist, a sort of Western adapted Taoism, a Natural Pantheist who views gods and ideas of gods as expressions of a total divinity inherent in Nature and the Cosmos.

Also, as a Pagan I am mainly a Celtic Pagan since I focus mainly on Celtic gods, goddesses, spirits, and ancestors. I have some UPG that Dian Cecht might be an incarnation of Jesus. I also include some non-Celtic deities in the mix, especially Hellenic ones. I am sort of a Celt who went south and ended up in a Hellenic Polis. And then maybe tried to return north to his home, and brought some of the Hellenic Gods and Goddesses back to his homelands.

I simply put the term Universalist in my profile because I am. I am not lately subscribing to the Christian version of the term, but when I entertain Christian theology, I find that I am heavily invested in the idea of Universal Salvation.

The other meaning of the term Universal is for me a belief in Universal Religion. That all human religions are different ways of seeking the one Divine Source. So I strive to have an outlook that embraces all religions in one way of another. I respect all human religious beliefs and non-beliefs as a Universalist. I study them from a social scientific perspective, and adopt anything that is legitimate to my own views. So also Ecelctic, but hopefully respectful to other cultures, peoples, and religions.

There is more I could say about Existentialism, Jungianism, Religious Humanism, and Creative Spirituality (all terms important to the underpinnings of my beliefs), but I have said plenty so far, so I will leave those topics for a later post or maybe their own thread at some point.

My path has diverged since I last responded to this thread.  I have a core set of practices, but I am still building my worldview and approach, and slowly expanding my practices.

I don't have a name for it, though I wish I could come up with one.  My approach mostly involves looking out at the world, and thereby transforming my inner, subjective universe, through the lens of devotional love.  Insofar as I have the power to shape my own narratives, inner life, and experiences, I am a god in my own (very small, relatively speaking) subjective realm.  But that realm is my whole world as far as experience is concerned.

My spirituality is self-centered in a (hopefully) positive sense of that term.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Alasdair MacEalair

• View Profile
  • Religion: Gàidheal
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2019, 01:21:23 pm »
I must admit that I'm completely dizzied by the mixture of ingredients that go into the huge array of pots here.  I imagine every day will be a school day here in The Cauldron.

I suppose my own outlook is fairly simple.  I am of 50/50 Highland Scottish / Irish ancestry living in Scotland where I was born and raised, meaning that I see myself ethnically and culturally as a Gael and I try to live by the practices and lore of my people; as closely as possible in an urban environment which I unfortunately don't see myself getting out of anytime soon (I grew up in Argyle).  I have raised my children with Gaelic since birth and we speak nothing but with one another.  The language is utterly sacred to us and probably steers much of the way we think and behave.  I find if I remain true to what the language needs (as it's in quite the state of disrepair due to centuries of British colonial interference), I receive what I need to live a fairly contented existence.  I am probably loyal to her in the same way that people are to god(s) and perceive her as the voice of wisdom, the voice of the cailleach (crone) of Gaelic lore.

As a family we view ourselves as being constituent members of the natural world and treat all animals, birds, insects and plants with equal reverence, taking great care to preserve our memory of their names and attributes as well as attendant lore around them.  We have many of the old sayings, proverbs and stories as well as songs on our lips and sing together each night in Gaelic as a distinct practice.  It helps when you're in the middle of a big city!

I despise the word "superstition" and practice much that would be considered odd by the Western World at large (I get the feeling I'm in good company here on that one! :) ) which at one time was considered universally necessary by my ancestors.  I have learned some of it from our elders, some from written sources, some from Tobar an Dualchais which houses a huge collection of Scottish Gaelic stories, songs and various lore from the mid 20th century.  We have worked out much in the way of ritual, including coming-of-age ceremonies and welcome rituals for travelers from afar by way of evidence from various written sources but also through wild meditation at the sacred sites themselves; I am a great believer in the voice of a place being audible if you are willing to listen.  Having the language to interpret what you feel / find of course does no harm.

I'm currently sifting through Ortha nan Gàidheal (Carmina Gadelica) again attempting to get beneath the Christian elements of it to expose an older system of understanding of the universe and I will post snippets of what I find that are idiomatically peculiar to the Gaelic original whenever it's interesting / significant enough to share.  The Christianity therein is quite natural and hoary, so it's not as stringent as some of the protestant traditions from the Highlands over the last couple of hundred years, but nevertheless, I would like to penetrate the depths of the native outlook and begin to move away from the paternalism which I feel has been damaging for the planet as a whole.  I find the concept of the over-arching deity as male to be entirely at odds with my experience of the natural world of the Scottish Highlands and I must confess that I find Middle-Eastern monotheistic belief very hard to come to terms with.

I guess that ought to do it for now.  My answer then?  I'm a Gael, and adhere to the practices, outlook and lore of my people and everything it has to teach.  If you ever visit Scotland and are interested in this, look us up.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:24:45 pm by Alasdair MacEalair »
Feart Féinne dhuibh

-
Alasdair

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2019, 12:55:48 pm »

A Reminder:
Hi, Alasdair MacEalair,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

ETA: Whoops, my apologies, Alasdair; I see that you did include the quote, but it's at the end of your post. It's customary on TC to put the quote first (sutably trimmed if the post being responded to is a long one) and your reply under that. While it's not a rules violation to do it the other way around as you did (top-posting), it is preferred, since that puts the two in chronological order which is easier to follow, and also helps ensure that staff (who, being volunteers, might only be grabbing a few minutes from meatlife to run quickly through the forums) don't miss the quote.

Sunflower
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:03:33 pm by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"