collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Various Grimoires.... What are they and does anyone have experience with them?  (Read 2204 times)

Marukai

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 271
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
As the title states. I am trying to figure out what some of the Ancient Grimoires entailed. Some of the Grimoires are as old as the 13th century. I have found a website that lists several Ancient Grimoires. I am familiar with the Solomonic Grimoires and the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum. I am unfamiliar with the others, and it's hard to find any information on these Grimoires. Most are written in Latin. Here is a website that has a list of Ancient Grimoires. I am interested in Liber Juratus, and Picatrix Grimoires.

http://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/displaycontent.aspx?pageid=117-magical-grimoire-tradition

Valentine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 936
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 79
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: Marukai;86215
As the title states. I am trying to figure out what some of the Ancient Grimoires entailed. Some of the Grimoires are as old as the 13th century. I have found a website that lists several Ancient Grimoires. I am familiar with the Solomonic Grimoires and the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum. I am unfamiliar with the others, and it's hard to find any information on these Grimoires. Most are written in Latin. Here is a website that has a list of Ancient Grimoires. I am interested in Liber Juratus, and Picatrix Grimoires.

http://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/displaycontent.aspx?pageid=117-magical-grimoire-tradition

 
Calling 13th century CE "ancient" is liable to make some of our reconstructionists giggle a lot, fair warning.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Caroline

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 154
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Valentine;86220
Calling 13th century CE "ancient" is liable to make some of our reconstructionists giggle a lot, fair warning.

 
Yeah, just a bit :whis:

Caroline

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 154
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Marukai;86215
As the title states. I am trying to figure out what some of the Ancient Grimoires entailed.

 
Since it seems you are interested in Medieval and possibly Renaissance (not Ancient) works, you might want to look into this series:

http://www.psupress.org/books/series/book_SeriesMagic.html

Rhyshadow

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 717
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Valentine;86220
Calling 13th century CE "ancient" is liable to make some of our reconstructionists giggle a lot, fair warning.

 
Quote from: Caroline;86230
Yeah, just a bit :whis:

 
Or at least snicker

::snicker::

Medieval tomes are usually available through college/university libraries - and most city/county library systems have Inter Library Loans - so you can borrow those college library books through your local library - that's where I get most of mine anyway

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10177
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 254
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: Marukai;86215
I am unfamiliar with the others, and it's hard to find any information on these Grimoires. Most are written in Latin. Here is a website that has a list of Ancient Grimoires. I am interested in Liber Juratus, and Picatrix Grimoires.

PDFs of many are available online:

http://www.hermetics.org/library/Library_Grimoires.html

http://asiya.org/asiya/pdfs/grimoires-and-classics-pdfs/

http://www.esotericarchives.com/
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Various Grimoires.... What are they and does anyone have experience with them?
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:33:25 am »
Quote from: Valentine;86220
Calling 13th century CE "ancient" is liable to make some of our reconstructionists giggle a lot, fair warning.

*snort* yup, just a bit.

But I get the point ;-)
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Marukai

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 271
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;86251
PDFs of many are available online:

http://www.hermetics.org/library/Library_Grimoires.html

http://asiya.org/asiya/pdfs/grimoires-and-classics-pdfs/

http://www.esotericarchives.com/


awesome.. Why is it that no one calls their own book a Grimoire? I always find eBay listings for Books of Shadows which are blank books. I have also found these same books at New Age stores in my area.

ccardinot

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 69
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Marukai;86297
awesome.. Why is it that no one calls their own book a Grimoire? I always find eBay listings for Books of Shadows which are blank books. I have also found these same books at New Age stores in my area.

Grimoires are more limited in content than Books of Shadows, which are wrongly named as they should be called Encyclopedia of Shadows, given that you collect knowledge on herbs, minerals, correspondence charts, spellcraft, religious info, and so on.
The best thing for your own magical growth is to do it yourself, even the binding, and handwrite it. I explain: when you handwrite something, you give it the proper planning, thought and attention it deserves, transfer part of your own energy and is more likely to not forget about it.
And, when you bind the book yourself, you turn it into a very special tool that not only holds information, but also serves as an energy reserve and a protection tool. The tome should be as big as you need it, not to look like a hollywood movie prop. BTW, be wary of 800 year old BoS or Grimoires, as they're more likely to be phony, because literacy wasn't a widespread right people could enjoy back then, plus, they used to hide their books pretty well, so, don't feel bad for not finding them online.

Hope to have helped,

C.Cardinot
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:16:26 pm by SunflowerP »

Marilyn/Absentminded

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 975
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Quote from: ccardinot;86302



 ccardinot

Please use the default text colour - plain black.  Anything else is hard for some of our members to read.

Thank you,
Marilyn
TC Staff
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

   In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Caroline

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 154
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Marukai;86297
awesome.. Why is it that no one calls their own book a Grimoire? I always find eBay listings for Books of Shadows which are blank books. I have also found these same books at New Age stores in my area.

 
Traditional grimoires are more likely to include ritualized scripts of a specialist nature than a miscellany of information.

Marukai

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 271
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: ccardinot;86302
Grimoires are more limited in content than Books of Shadows, which are wrongly named as they should be called Encyclopedia of Shadows, given that you collect knowledge on herbs, minerals, correspondence charts, spellcraft, religious info, and so on.
The best thing for your own magical growth is to do it yourself, even the binding, and handwrite it. I explain: when you handwrite something, you give it the proper planning, thought and attention it deserves, transfer part of your own energy and is more likely to not forget about it.
And, when you bind the book yourself, you turn it into a very special tool that not only holds information, but also serves as an energy reserve and a protection tool. The tome should be as big as you need it, not to look like a hollywood movie prop. BTW, be wary of 800 year old BoS or Grimoires, as they're more likely to be phony, because literacy wasn't a widespread right people could enjoy back then, plus, they used to hide their books pretty well, so, don't feel bad for not finding them online.

Hope to have helped,

C.Cardinot


Would it be acceptable to use ones own blood as ink when writing within his/her Book of Shadows?

Valentine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 936
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 79
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: Marukai;86322
Would it be acceptable to use ones own blood as ink when writing within his/her Book of Shadows?

 
Acceptable to whom?  To what authority?

Look, if you're in a rush to exsanguinate yourself, chum, there's no rules about it, but you should know that blood is a frightfully inefficient ink.  it takes a lot of blood for a book, more than you safely have on hand at any one time.  Stuff written in blood is awfully dramatic, and it has its uses, but honestly, you are better off with a nice ballpoint pen if you plan on doing a lot of writing.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Rhyshadow

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 717
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: Valentine;86323
Acceptable to whom?  To what authority?

Look, if you're in a rush to exsanguinate yourself, chum, there's no rules about it, but you should know that blood is a frightfully inefficient ink.  it takes a lot of blood for a book, more than you safely have on hand at any one time.  Stuff written in blood is awfully dramatic, and it has its uses, but honestly, you are better off with a nice ballpoint pen if you plan on doing a lot of writing.

 
Add to the fact that over time the blood will start rotting the paper - it makes a totally unsuitable ink

If you want something stable, get some India Ink and a Fountain Pen

Shine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 912
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Quote from: Rhyshadow;86329
Add to the fact that over time the blood will start rotting the paper - it makes a totally unsuitable ink

 
Yup, and it smells bad, too.

Use of a red pen is probably a reasonable "replacement" for blood. Ritually declare the ink to be your blood (or for whatever purpose) and go to town. Don't know why somebody would do that, but hey.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
3975 Views
Last post June 19, 2012, 11:31:08 pm
by NatureMade
4 Replies
14117 Views
Last post December 30, 2012, 06:04:58 pm
by Scent of Pine
3 Replies
2000 Views
Last post June 16, 2013, 10:09:19 pm
by Leanan Sidhe
1 Replies
723 Views
Last post January 16, 2016, 05:21:38 pm
by SunflowerP
3 Replies
680 Views
Last post October 06, 2017, 01:42:44 pm
by Jainarayan

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 54
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall