Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: The name Witchcraft is it really an Arts/Crafts type of thing?  (Read 8675 times)

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: The name Witchcraft is it really an Arts/Crafts type of thing?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 10:16:44 pm »
Quote from: Shine;92717
*snrk* It is a good question, though. Wouldn't beings of breath-taking ancientness. . . ness know this kind of stuff?

Classy sir, I award you this top hat and monocle.

*rides away on a unicorn*

NICE!

I always wanted both of those!!!

I like the unicorn as well......
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 10:19:30 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;92713
And if you wish, they can do your crafts for you!

I somehow doubt most people would be thinking of knitting if a half-naked Barbara Eden in her prime appeared and offered to do whatever you asked of her.

What am I talking about?  If I didn't consider slavery wrong, I'd probably have her clean out the rain gutters.  And then take apart and refurbish the garbage disposal.  The damned thing's a wreck.

Brina

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 10:33:17 pm »
Quote from: Marukai;92699
Well what I'm trying to establish is whether or not practitioners branch out to "trial and error" or continue with the same recipes for salves and potions that have been passed down from Grimoires?

To address the entirely practical question: we know more about how stuff works than we used to. Through science.

By which we know that some plants have active chemicals that do stuff. And some plants have active chemicals that do stuff where the effective dose and the poisonous dose are *reallly really close together* and should probably not be casually explored unless you want to end up dead.

So, personally, I'd rather be working with the people who assume knowledge has progressed since the Middle Ages. Or the Renaissance. Or heck, since a decade or two ago (as someone who takes at least two prescriptions not regularly prescribed two decades ago, that might have interactions with various herbs, plants, and other materials.).

That doesn't mean tossing out all the historical info. But it doesn't mean anyone sensible trusts it without a lot of cross-checking. And I'd rather do my witchcraft with sensible people.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 10:43:50 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;92719
I somehow doubt most people would be thinking of knitting if a half-naked Barbara Eden in her prime appeared and offered to do whatever you asked of her.

What am I talking about?  If I didn't consider slavery wrong, I'd probably have her clean out the rain gutters.  And then take apart and refurbish the garbage disposal.  The damned thing's a wreck.

Brina

I would, if that poor genie showed up half naked in my old house she would be freezing. Someone would have to knit her some clothes. Then I would send her out for some scratch tickets.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 11:00:30 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;92718
NICE!

I always wanted both of those!!!

I like the unicorn as well......

The unicorn is so mine. Do you know what a pain in the neck it is to catch one of these things? ;)
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Marukai

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 11:33:25 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;92701
My healing work, divination, etc.? NOT an ornamental wreath. I'm really beginning to wonder if you're intentionally being offensive.

Not being offensive at all.. It's a simple question Ornamental Wreaths are a reference to a type of Craft. Crafts are usually things that are continuously done. Origami is a craft because it is so hard to be able to transform a simple square piece of paper into a new work or art, thus being once again a craft.. The only thing that can be changed in these two Crafts are type of paper or type of decorations that you want on the Wreath. Some like Gaudy Wreaths:)

Sanacrow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: TIW / whatever works
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 11:45:27 pm »
Quote from: Marukai;92699
Well what I'm trying to establish is whether or not practitioners branch out to "trial and error" or continue with the same recipes for salves and potions that have been passed down from Grimoires?

First, grimoires are not how things are passed in many/most Traditional forms of Craft. While there are some written bits, they are not in things called grimoires, and it would be impossible to recreate what we do from the written bits. It's learned mouth-to-ear, from demonstration and with lots of practice.

Second, it's an expectation in many forms of Craft that an experienced practitioner will add to the body of knowledge they have inherited. *Informed* trial and error or inference by an experienced Witch is nothing to look down on. Witchcraft is not static and does not depend solely on what is inherited or learned from others.

Sanacrow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 11:54:42 pm »
Quote from: Marukai;92733
Not being offensive at all..

That's not for you to determine. Whether you are a troll or whether you are being *intentially* offensive may be debatable. That you actually *have* been offensive in more than one thread has already been established.

Crafts are usually things that are continuously done.

No. *Traditions* are things that are continuously done. *Crafts* are things that take time, effort and skill to master.

Words mean things. May I suggest the OneLook.com dictionary?

Origami is a craft because it is so hard to be able to transform a simple square piece of paper into a new work or art, thus being once again a craft.. The only thing that can be changed in these two Crafts are type of paper or type of decorations that you want on the Wreath.

Thus showing that you know little to nothing about Origami, or wreath-making. (We have folks here who are skilled at both. I haven't heard them giggle so in quite a while.)

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 11:58:43 pm »
Quote from: Shine;92726
The unicorn is so mine. Do you know what a pain in the neck it is to catch one of these things? ;)

Fair enough.

But I am in the market.
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 12:00:35 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;92740
Fair enough.

But I am in the market.

Arrrggh, I broke Rule One. You owe me a new keyboard. XD

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 12:02:15 am »
Quote from: Shine;92741
Arrrggh, I broke Rule One. You owe me a new keyboard. XD

See if you would just go enslave some other sentient being, you could just wish for a new one.
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Sanacrow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 12:09:58 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;92740
Fair enough.

But I am in the market.

Maybe you can get one from those dealers who sells djinns and such.

Marukai

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 12:13:15 am »
Quote from: Sanacrow;92738
That's not for you to determine. Whether you are a troll or whether you are being *intentially* offensive may be debatable. That you actually *have* been offensive in more than one thread has already been established.

No. *Traditions* are things that are continuously done. *Crafts* are things that take time, effort and skill to master.

Words mean things. May I suggest the OneLook.com dictionary?

Thus showing that you know little to nothing about Origami, or wreath-making. (We have folks here who are skilled at both. I haven't heard them giggle so in quite a while.)

Why assume I know nothing about Origami. I am a master at it. I build Kusudama and other Geometric pieces that are not simple things like Cranes or Butterflies. If I had absolutely no knowledge of Origami, then why would I even refer to it. Origami is a very uncommon Craft because it takes a certain person to be able to master the to my level. Perhaps I should have put Carpentry in place of Origami.

Nonetheless, they are both Crafts that are not a one of a kind work of Art. Art is something that is entirely unique and cannot be replicated in the same way as the original.

Sanacrow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 12:22:28 am »
Quote from: Marukai;92746
Why assume I know nothing about Origami. I am a master at it. I build Kusudama and other Geometric pieces that are not simple things like Cranes or Butterflies. If I had absolutely no knowledge of Origami, then why would I even refer to it. Origami is a very uncommon Craft because it takes a certain person to be able to master the to my level.

Um. Right. Yeah. If you say so.

::giggle::

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 12:23:28 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;92742
See if you would just go enslave some other sentient being, you could just wish for a new one.

Nah, too much upkeep. ;) Plus, if s/he breaks loose, imagine the unholy shitstorm that would ensue. The DESERVED unholy shitstorm. D:

At least the unicorn is technically contracted. ;-p And not bound to a rock.

Tags: