Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sage,Seer,Magi,Witch,Sorcerer,Wizard, Mystic? What are the differences?  (Read 7044 times)

Marukai

• Master Member
    • View Profile
I would like to get some feedback of the various names listed in the title. How do they differ from each other?

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sage,Seer,Magi,Witch,Sorcerer,Wizard, Mystic? What are the differences?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:42:43 pm »
Quote from: Marukai;85599
I would like to get some feedback of the various names listed in the title. How do they differ from each other?

Mostly with the spelling.:D:

Are you asking what the differences are in our opinions or is this a quiz to see if homework has been done?

I'll give my opinions because you can google the regular details of each and probably have.

A sage is a wise person and a plant. A seer can see, sometimes prophetically and sometimes into a situation or person. (It doesn't mean the thing that puts lines on steaks - whoo buddy, I learned that the hard way.) A magi is an old term (not sure if still in use) for a person who follows Zoro I think. They like to gift frankincense and myrrh. It has come to be used like magician sometimes but I don't see it often. A sorcerer is a kind of magic worker who wears a tall hat. A wizard is much the same but he has a longer beard. A mystic will drink whatever is served. And a what a witch is changes every time you meet one.

The alchemists and theurgists are feeling a bit left out. The soothesayers and oracles are busy and don't mind not being included, but the root doctors may feel snubbed. They'd never say it though. If you want to include a warlock all you have to do is holler, "Calling Doctor Bombay!"

I'm joke a bit. I beg your forgiveness. I will do some research and try to find out what the differences are.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:48:31 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;85603
If you want to include a warlock all you have to do is holler, "Calling Doctor Bombay!"

I love you for that entire post; but mostly for the Bewitched reference.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:53:57 pm »
There is always the Druid, Bard, and Ovate!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Marukai

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:14:52 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;85603
Mostly with the spelling.:D:

Are you asking what the differences are in our opinions or is this a quiz to see if homework has been done?

I'll give my opinions because you can google the regular details of each and probably have.

A sage is a wise person and a plant. A seer can see, sometimes prophetically and sometimes into a situation or person. (It doesn't mean the thing that puts lines on steaks - whoo buddy, I learned that the hard way.) A magi is an old term (not sure if still in use) for a person who follows Zoro I think. They like to gift frankincense and myrrh. It has come to be used like magician sometimes but I don't see it often. A sorcerer is a kind of magic worker who wears a tall hat. A wizard is much the same but he has a longer beard. A mystic will drink whatever is served. And a what a witch is changes every time you meet one.

The alchemists and theurgists are feeling a bit left out. The soothesayers and oracles are busy and don't mind not being included, but the root doctors may feel snubbed. They'd never say it though. If you want to include a warlock all you have to do is holler, "Calling Doctor Bombay!"

I'm joke a bit. I beg your forgiveness. I will do some research and try to find out what the differences are.

I just want to know if these names are just synonyms for a practitioner..

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 11:21:00 pm »

Well, Magi are a specific priestly class from Persia and Witches can be pretty much anything depending on which definition you use.

Sorcerers and Wizards are people that take LARPing way to seriously.

Mystics are overrated stoners.

And Sage (aside from being a member here) is great for flavoring fish and pork.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:59 pm »
When you said Sage, did you mean Mage? In some cases a Mage & Magi are the same thing. But also can refer to a magician as well.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Sage,Seer,Magi,Witch,Sorcerer,Wizard, Mystic? What are the differences?
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:39:46 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;85619

Mystics are overrated stoners.

"Mystic" can also refer to someone who practices a mystery religion.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:40:08 pm »
Quote from: Marukai;85617

Practitioner of what?

The title changes depending on the path.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 11:40:35 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;85621
When you said Sage, did you mean Mage? In some cases a Mage & Magi are the same thing. But also can refer to a magician as well.

I think it can also mean a guru-type wise person, as in 'sagacious'.

Coming back to the OP's question - "are all these synonyms for practitioner" - practitioner of what exactly?  (As Nyktipolos said while I was posting!)  Witchcraft?  High/Low/Folk/Ceremonial Magic?  The occult in general? Something else?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:41:30 pm by Sulischild »

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 11:43:07 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;85626
"Mystic" can also refer to someone who practices a mystery religion.

(I know, you're ruining the joke;))

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 12:02:13 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;85629
(I know, you're ruining the joke;))

I know. This one is a particular button for me.  Sorry.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:56 am »

Yes. Yes, they are. And most of these are names that non-practitioners used to call other people, NOT what people called themselves. Except for "mystic", which is a more modern term that's used in, like, anthropology, still by non-practitioners to refer to practitioners -- the most of your other terms became words for fairy tale and fantasy practitioners not real living practitioners. For those reasons, I think that any occultist would be uncomfortable with taking the label of any of the above, except for witches. And chaotes. And maybe a ceremonial magickian, if they have a better sense of humor than I do.

Since you posted this in Pagan Religions, not Magic and the Occult, perhaps a better question would have been: "What is the difference between a witch,  shaman, seiðkonur, and oracle?" or, "Paganism and magickal practice? What's the similarity?"

I suspect that the title question was asked, instead, as a deliberate way to insult us. I'm just going to go on and ignore you now.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 01:48:16 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;85635
Yes. Yes, they are. And most of these are names that non-practitioners used to call other people, NOT what people called themselves. Except for "mystic", which is a more modern term that's used in, like, anthropology, still by non-practitioners to refer to practitioners -- the most of your other terms became words for fairy tale and fantasy practitioners not real living practitioners. For those reasons, I think that any occultist would be uncomfortable with taking the label of any of the above, except for witches.

Well, call me full of myself if you like (not that you would :D:) but I like the term mystic. I would have called myself an aspiring mystic long before I was Pagan. The term has a long history of being used by people who seek union with deity, not just by anthropologists. Not all these terms are rejected by practitioners.

Wouldn't be able to call myself a mage or a sage with a straight face, though. Now, Druid... ;)
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 02:07:03 am »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;85646
I would have called myself an aspiring mystic long before I was Pagan. The term has a long history of being used by people who seek union with deity, not just by anthropologists. Not all these terms are rejected by practitioners.

Wouldn't be able to call myself a mage or a sage with a straight face, though. Now, Druid... ;)

Oh, I used to call myself an enchantress, because so much of my understanding of magic mirrored that of sound "original meaning" blah. But, it just felt impossible to reclaim whenever part of me was thinking that other people were thinking I was calling myself a rainbow unicorn sugar queen who wears expensive and revealing clothing and hides away in some royal fortress. At least you get more people to echo "witch" who don't mean pointy hats, devouring human children, and flying broomsticks.

Interesting about mystic. I would try to say, "I'm a... mystic" and it just sounded like something from completely outside myself, like something I'd only identify as, to someone who was a total outsider (albeit a curious one.) I should work on being less proscriptive (but I'm still totally calling troll on the OP. Even though, being Rokkatru, I should consider that label unfair to trolls.)
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tags: