Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: General/Non-Specific: Romano-British religion  (Read 1860 times)

Local Magpie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Goddess Religion, Eclectic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they/he
Romano-British religion
« on: May 17, 2019, 07:18:46 pm »
Hey guys! I've been reading up on Brythonic paganism recently and it made me curious about combining it with Religio Romana. I know this was done in antiquity when the Romans conquered the British, but I'm not sure if it is right to reconstruct it. We don't know a lot about the tribes beliefs, so I don't want to use roman religion just to fill in the gaps. I'm also concerned that such a practice might offend the gods and I should just keep the two separate. Are any of you practitioners of such a path? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Zlote Jablko

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Slavic/ PIE Recon
Re: Romano-British religion
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 12:23:00 am »
Hey guys! I've been reading up on Brythonic paganism recently and it made me curious about combining it with Religio Romana. I know this was done in antiquity when the Romans conquered the British, but I'm not sure if it is right to reconstruct it. We don't know a lot about the tribes beliefs, so I don't want to use roman religion just to fill in the gaps. I'm also concerned that such a practice might offend the gods and I should just keep the two separate. Are any of you practitioners of such a path? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

I posted a thread about Greco-Roman syncretism awhile back. For me it was related to a book I was reading “Supreme Gods if the Bosporan Kingdom.” Basically the Greeks colonized the Black Sea coast in modern day southern Ukraine/Russia. There is evidence for merging of indigenous and Greek traditions.

I’m not sure there’s a right answer. My approach was to try and decipher more about the Scythian religion, with the Greek influence being mainly a necessary distortion. However, it’s doubtful that all of the people of the Bosporan kingdom saw it that way. Many of the locals probably were used to living in a syncretic culture and accepted it.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Romano-British religion
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:31:14 am »
I'm also concerned that such a practice might offend the gods and I should just keep the two separate. Are any of you practitioners of such a path? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!
I would broadly describe my practice is being a Hellenized Romano-British religion. It was done in antiquity, yes in part due to conquest, but also as a way to harmonize the cultural interactions. Brythonic religion survived the conquest largely through the lens of syncretic religion, and through that came to influence the folklore and mythology of the British Isles.

Tags: