collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Resoruces for Building a Practice?  (Read 5808 times)

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2826
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 48
    • View Profile
Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:35:23 pm »
I'm currently engaged in a long-term project to create my own structured practice.  I'm not ready to go into any detail yet, but I can say -- to nobody's surprise :p -- that my path is focused exclusively on Brighid.

The actual beliefs seem to be the "easy part" -- for me, at least.  But I'm struggling a bit with how to construct a holistic, coherent, and consistent practice, as well as each of the components, such as simple daily devotionals and more complex festival celebrations (that might or might include rituals).

Can anyone recommend resources that might be useful for someone building a  practice?  Or for the individual components of a path, such as rituals?

Thanks!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Garnet

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 106
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Departmental; Feri, Thelema, Morningstar; Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/her
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:52:19 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;19679

Can anyone recommend resources that might be useful for someone building a  practice?  Or for the individual components of a path, such as rituals?


I like Dianne Sylvan's book The Circle Within quite a bit. It's written from a NeoWiccan perspective, but the ideas in it about creating a practice seem generally useful.

Also, apparently T. Thorn Coyle is starting an online "Crafting a Daily Practice" class on Sept. 19th. (Info partway down the page here and here) Disclaimer: I am one of her current Morningstar distance students. :)

Tana

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2295
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:59:02 pm »
Quote from: Garnet;19960

Also, apparently T. Thorn Coyle is starting an online "Crafting a Daily Practice" class on Sept. 19th. (Info partway down the page here and here) Disclaimer: I am one of her current Morningstar distance students. :)

 

Well, to add another biased opinion:
I just had a little workshop with Thorn and this has already influenced my view on things and the will to do something - daily. ;)

(Actually I am pondering the online course - but not sure yet.)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Garnet

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 106
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Departmental; Feri, Thelema, Morningstar; Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/her
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 02:31:34 pm »
Quote from: Tana;19963
Well, to add another biased opinion:
I just had a little workshop with Thorn and this has already influenced my view on things and the will to do something - daily.


I forgot to mention that Thorn has worked with Brighid before, too. :)

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2826
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 05:17:00 am »
Quote from: Garnet;19960

Also, apparently T. Thorn Coyle is starting an online "Crafting a Daily Practice" class on Sept. 19th. (Info partway down the page here and here) Disclaimer: I am one of her current Morningstar distance students. :)

 
Thanks for this suggestion!  

I'm only vaguely familiar with Thorn's work, so I'm not really sure what to expect.  Do you think this course will be Wicca-focused?
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

SatAset

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 482
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 6
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:28:29 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;20194
Thanks for this suggestion!  

I'm only vaguely familiar with Thorn's work, so I'm not really sure what to expect.  Do you think this course will be Wicca-focused?

 
Thorn isn't Wiccan.  She taught Feri Witchcraft.  

Her blog may help.  Here's the link: http://www.thorncoyle.com/  It seems that she tries to help many people from many faiths not just Feri students.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Tana

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2295
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:57:20 am »
Quote from: SatAset;20195
Thorn isn't Wiccan.  She taught Feri Witchcraft


Actually she studied a lot of different traditions herself.
The workshop was not centered around any special tradition, so I guess her approach will be workable for many different folks. :)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4831
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 719
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 11:59:56 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;20194
I'm only vaguely familiar with Thorn's work, so I'm not really sure what to expect.  Do you think this course will be Wicca-focused?

 
As others mentioned, Thorn isn't Wiccan.  Thorn is complicated.

Thorn is, uh.  Reclaiming, Feri, Sufi-influenced, Luciferean Western magical tradition.  Ish.  Heavy emphasis on personal discipline (including posture), self-improvement, and building reliable routine.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4831
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 719
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 12:09:04 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;20226
Thorn is, uh.  Reclaiming, Feri, Sufi-influenced, Luciferean Western magical tradition.  Ish.  Heavy emphasis on personal discipline (including posture), self-improvement, and building reliable routine.

 
Kabbalah.  I forgot the Kabbalah.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2826
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 04:36:52 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;20227
Kabbalah.  I forgot the Kabbalah.

 
Sounds like "complicated" is an understatement.  :eek:

But, really, we're all just as complicated, even if it doesn't look like that on the surface.

I've requested info about the web seminar, and included a brief description of my own path to get some feedback about whether it might mesh with Thorn's teachings.

And, of course, I also asked about the fees for the seminar and the Mystery School.  That might end up being the deciding factor.  :p

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Zeno

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 47
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 10:24:20 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;19679
I'm currently engaged in a long-term project to create my own structured practice.  I'm not ready to go into any detail yet, but I can say -- to nobody's surprise :p -- that my path is focused exclusively on Brighid.

The actual beliefs seem to be the "easy part" -- for me, at least.  But I'm struggling a bit with how to construct a holistic, coherent, and consistent practice, as well as each of the components, such as simple daily devotionals and more complex festival celebrations (that might or might include rituals).

Can anyone recommend resources that might be useful for someone building a  practice?  Or for the individual components of a path, such as rituals?

Thanks!

~ Aster


Might I suggest you read Scott Cunninghams Standing Stones Book of Shadows. It's obviously Wiccan based but it has a plethora of information on symbols, stones, herbs, etc, with some nice rituals and just general ideas.

Juni

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:36:11 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;20267
And, of course, I also asked about the fees for the seminar

 
Have you heard back? I'm very curious about this myself.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2826
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 03:06:01 am »
Quote from: Juni;21670
Have you heard back? I'm very curious about this myself.

 
Yes.  There is a sliding scale of $65 - $95, depending on what people can pay.

I've registered and I'm currently (slowly) working my way through the first week's readings.

Is anyone else doing this seminar?

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Juni

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 09:35:38 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;21762


 
How are you liking the readings so far? I know it's early yet, but I'm nosy. ;) I wonder if they'll accept late joiners- I'll have to give it some thought today.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

hufflee

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 203
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Resoruces for Building a Practice?
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;20267


I've requested info about the web seminar, and included a brief description of my own path to get some feedback about whether it might mesh with Thorn's teachings.

And, of course, I also asked about the fees for the seminar and the Mystery School.  That might end up being the deciding factor.  :p

~ Aster

 That's funny. I just did the same thing! (minus the bio)
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
3506 Views
Last post April 18, 2012, 10:21:11 am
by yewberry
6 Replies
867 Views
Last post December 26, 2012, 10:47:31 am
by Catherine
0 Replies
539 Views
Last post August 03, 2014, 04:50:06 pm
by Atehequa
27 Replies
2680 Views
Last post April 06, 2017, 02:27:06 am
by MadeiraDarling
14 Replies
1831 Views
Last post April 05, 2017, 06:21:14 pm
by Yei

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 18
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall