collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Prejudice in the pagan community against "neo-wicca" - what do you think?  (Read 11940 times)

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
Re: Prejudice in the pagan community against "neo-wicca" - what do you think?
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;54526
This.

Also, I am totally fine with non-BTW traditions and practices that have a functional underpinning and cohesive structure (especially around safety and practical issues.)

(For good reason, given that my trad is non-BTW, and I am not that kind of hypocrite...)

But I am - and with what I hope is understandable reason - deeply skeptical about other people's ritual technique unless it comes from a source I know, people whose common sense I trust, or where I've had reasonable opportunities to see how they do things before we hit a high-stakes ritual.

Having been around the community long enough to see some Very Badly Planned Ritual Things, I consider this self-preservation. (That said, because I feel strongly that information is good, I also consider it part of my job in life to provide info on improving that kind of thing when I reasonably can.)

No clue what "BTW-trads" means. Would like to buy a clue here.

Yep there are paths of Wicca that are probably stronger than others. And some older than others and whatever.

And yep, I've seen more than my share of Badly Planned Ritual Things both from new groups and old.

In fact, to my memory, it was our local Alexandrian group that did a ritual that included butterflies set loose in the middle of winter, and some of the poor flutteries died while being caught to be set loose and having their wings crushed, while others died getting set out on one of the few cold FL nights.
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2015, 07:22:49 pm »
Quote from: Lionrhod;184149
No clue what "BTW-trads" means. Would like to buy a clue here.

British Traditional Wicca.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2015, 08:41:29 pm »
Quote from: Lionrhod;184149

In fact, to my memory, it was our local Alexandrian group that did a ritual that included butterflies set loose in the middle of winter, and some of the poor flutteries died while being caught to be set loose and having their wings crushed, while others died getting set out on one of the few cold FL nights.

That is less than desireable, yes, but not at all the scope of the thing I was meaning.

(And yes: BTW is British Traditional Wicca, a common designation for a group of traditions that includes Gardnerian, Alexandrian, and several other smaller traditions. Commonly used in the US, but widely used in a variety of discussion settings, it's not unique to the Cauldron. These traditions are not perfect, but they do generally have a better vetted set of practices that avoid the stupidest and most dangerous bits.)  

Badly Designed Ritual Things in the category I was describing:

- A chemical fire where someone so-helpfully added extra rubbing alcohol, producing a pillar of fire that nearly hit the roof of the two-story room we were in.

- An extended ritual which went on for about 3 hours in August (several days into a camping event, so people were already tired/dealing with unusual living conditions) that included extensive movement and standing, and which provided no advance warning of duration, suitable preparation. It then forced a rapid decision to make a commitment to a particular (not widely-known) deity. (You could opt out, but you'd have to think very fast on your feet to do it well, and this was after people were already worn from weather/other ritual demands.)

- Another ritual that was designed to evoke the Witches Sabbat as described in various of the trial records from the witchcraft hunts, which was well-designed on its own, but which had no precautions against people using the ritual for their own ends, and that also was less careful with ensuring meaningful consent to ritual oaths than I generally like to see.

- A couple of others where fire was very badly handled (that I was mostly not at, but there is a reason my tradition has the practice of the Sacred Ritual Fire Extinguisher. One of them involved a near grass fire and burns sufficient to convince me never to wear poly-blend fabrics in ritual ever again, and that's only one I heard about.)

- Several rituals in which Draw Downs were handled in ways that made it very easy for interested parties to manipulate the effects, comments, and experience of others in ways that (later, more clearly) were abuses of authority at a bare minimum.

- Several rituals in which people made assumptions about what the people in ritual could manage which turned out not to be true for reasons of physical health, mental health, current weather, or specific things brought up during the ritual, etc. most of which didn't end badly solely because there were people there looking out for the people who needed a helping hand.

All of these might have gone *exceedingly* badly wrong if it weren't for some people being ready to help, and capable of doing so, but trusting that someone's going to be handy to do that is not a great solution, in my book.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: