Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: General/Non-Specific: Obscure Cultus Masterlist  (Read 4034 times)

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Fencraft: Seekers of the Landweird
  • Religion: Fencraft (Pagan animism/trad witchcraft/cunning craft/folklore)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he
Obscure Cultus Masterlist
« on: September 11, 2020, 05:43:15 pm »
Hello all,

A lot of my work at the moment is "librarianship", bringing together other people's resources in digestible ways.

One thing I'd like to build is an Obscure Cultus Masterpost, (in part, because there's a Brythonic Pagan Revival blog I found back in the day and now can't remember). It would include things like the cult of Antinoous and this Romano-Celtic Wicca resource list. Hmmmm there's someone I know who does Semitic pagan revival, and you may be reading this post right now and thinking "I too am working to revive an incredibly niche, little-remembered divinity"

Every link on it would be to a community, or a useable set of blog-resources (rituals, a reading list), for some gods you've never heard of, or who are much neglected. Resources would focus on neo-Pagans reviving these cults, rather than general lists of forgotten names.

The goal would be to celebrate the diversity of neoPaganism, as well as link up seekers with things they may never have considered.

Before I get going on this:

• Does anyone know of such a list already existing?
  • If so, could this list form the basis of a regularly-updated, crowdsourced effort (as I'm sure such lists have been written, but are no longer being updated or are in blogs which get much traffic)
  • Would anyone be interested on collaborating on this project, either fulltime, or just sending links as and when
    you find them?

A future vision for the project could branch out from just a list,to like, interviews with the people about what they're doing.

Cheers all x
Pagan life blog: Haptalaon @ Dreamwidth
Fencraft Handbook: Seekers of the Landweird: for land-trance, pagan animism, folklore and traditional witchcraft

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Re: Obscure Cultus Masterlist
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:01:47 pm »
Hello all,

A lot of my work at the moment is "librarianship", bringing together other people's resources in digestible ways.

One thing I'd like to build is an Obscure Cultus Masterpost, (in part, because there's a Brythonic Pagan Revival blog I found back in the day and now can't remember). It would include things like the cult of Antinoous and this Romano-Celtic Wicca resource list. Hmmmm there's someone I know who does Semitic pagan revival, and you may be reading this post right now and thinking "I too am working to revive an incredibly niche, little-remembered divinity"

Every link on it would be to a community, or a useable set of blog-resources (rituals, a reading list), for some gods you've never heard of, or who are much neglected. Resources would focus on neo-Pagans reviving these cults, rather than general lists of forgotten names.

The goal would be to celebrate the diversity of neoPaganism, as well as link up seekers with things they may never have considered.

This sounds like a very useful resource, but I'm sure it'd be a LOT of work.

If you're looking for obscure modern paths as well as recon ones, I might try to contribute some resources on mine.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 07:16:53 pm »
  • Does anyone know of such a list already existing?
  • If so, could this list form the basis of a regularly-updated, crowdsourced effort (as I'm sure such lists have been written, but are no longer being updated or are in blogs which get much traffic)
  • Would anyone be interested on collaborating on this project, either fulltime, or just sending links as and when
    you find them?

My basic take is "I think this is a fabulous idea" and also "I so do not have the capacity to take on helping with it more than minimally."

1) I'm not aware of any general more-than-one culture list that's beyond someone's personal interests.

2) That seems plausible, though obviously different collaborative tools have different complexities (and also the question of how to vet material/make sure it's quality material of some form/plus the usual 'might not want to link to some people/sources for Reasons')

3) I'd be up for a conversation or two about some ways to think about organising it and thinking about systematic search techniques, but that's about my limit right now. (I am horribly bad at remembering to share links with people routinely without additional workflow steps, because of how my brain processes new data input.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 07:35:01 pm »
This sounds like a very useful resource, but I'm sure it'd be a LOT of work.

If you're looking for obscure modern paths as well as recon ones, I might try to contribute some resources on mine.

Interesting question. I hadn't thought this far, but I think the conception I have in mind is focused on reconstructionist polytheism (despite myself not being a polytheist or all that interested in any of these paths myself; I just like a nice bibliography)

*that said*, I'm sure if people get to know that This Is What I Am Doing, you won't be the first or last to ask me this, so I'm going to tentatively say - yes, if you'll write something, I will add it to the list. Because it would fit the broad criteria of "a real tradition you could join if you wanted to, but you won't because you've never heard of it"

Ultimately, I hope the amount of work will be diminished by people wanting to "advertise", for want of a better word, so long as it gets around that this list exists.
Fencraft Handbook: Seekers of the Landweird: for land-trance, pagan animism, folklore and traditional witchcraft

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 07:41:46 pm »
My basic take is "I think this is a fabulous idea" and also "I so do not have the capacity to take on helping with it more than minimally."

1) I'm not aware of any general more-than-one culture list that's beyond someone's personal interests.

2) That seems plausible, though obviously different collaborative tools have different complexities (and also the question of how to vet material/make sure it's quality material of some form/plus the usual 'might not want to link to some people/sources for Reasons')

3) I'd be up for a conversation or two about some ways to think about organising it and thinking about systematic search techniques, but that's about my limit right now. (I am horribly bad at remembering to share links with people routinely without additional workflow steps, because of how my brain processes new data input.)

Thank you for your thoughts!

1) One thing I'm hoping that, as and when I come across lists such as these, to start amalgamating them into a masterlist (with credit)

2) The question of quality material here is very hard (after all, this will 99% be traditions I know little or nothing about). However, I think maybe I could create some ground rules for inclusion - which would lay out, especially the ethical reasons, for disincluding certain groups

3) I'd really value this, if you let me know what kind of conversation format which works for you (voices, via the forum, messages in private, a/n?)

But yes, especially, thoughts on the kind of workflow which you - and others, I imagine - will need to send me the links you find. Because I'm sort of hoping that crowdsourcing will reduce the extent of this being a "me and google" project.

More broadly, I envisage this as a longterm, but slowburn kind of project rather than a thing I complete in the next month - I think it's needed, but I don't think I alone have the capacity to perfect it, if that makes sense.

Another question would be, what's the right platform to host the list. How accessible is the wiki here to non-forum members? I was going to put an initial version on my blog, but a collective effort requires a more "collective" hosting solution (to minimise risk of data loss)

Cheers for feedback questions, keep them coming - they're all useful for planning & thinking

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 07:44:53 pm »
(in part, because there's a Brythonic Pagan Revival blog I found back in the day and now can't remember).

If you were wondering, I've found it and it's here

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 08:10:03 pm »
3) I'd really value this, if you let me know what kind of conversation format which works for you (voices, via the forum, messages in private, a/n?)

Doing the easy one: I am a bit swamped this coming week (and to some extent the week of the 21st, because bonus ritual for birthdayness) so it might make more sense to start with email and then see about a voice/video/whatever call (maybe with other people interested) after that?

(Have personal Zoom account, also amiable to other tools, but the time zone difference might be a bit more tricky.)

More broadly, I envisage this as a longterm, but slowburn kind of project rather than a thing I complete in the next month - I think it's needed, but I don't think I alone have the capacity to perfect it, if that makes sense.

That makes a lot of sense. The piece I think I can probably suggest some useful things about (with my professional hat on) is how to manage that kind of project without either stagnating or getting overwhelmed. (As well as things like "you might want some controlled vocabulary somewhere in the picture and here's what I mean by that.")

Another question would be, what's the right platform to host the list. How accessible is the wiki here to non-forum members? I was going to put an initial version on my blog, but a collective effort requires a more "collective" hosting solution (to minimise risk of data loss)

From what it says there, members can edit, it's visible to everyone (or at least defaults that way). 
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 07:12:40 am »
Hello all,

Quick update, will respond to replies later in the day: I've put together a first draft on the wiki - it's got the proposed ground rules, how people can help, and a beginning list of links which sketch out the kinds of things I have in mind.

Concrit welcomed, as well as adding links to the list if you already know some

SirPalomides

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Surrealist with feet in Chinese and Western esotericism
  • Preferred Pronouns: thou/thee
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 07:16:18 am »
Quick update, will respond to replies later in the day: I've put together a first draft on the wiki - it's got the proposed ground rules, how people can help, and a beginning list of links which sketch out the kinds of things I have in mind.

Concrit welcomed, as well as adding links to the list if you already know some

I’ve translated a Daoist ritual text dedicated to nine tailed fox immortals, not sure if that would qualify for this project or not

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 08:23:12 am »
I’ve translated a Daoist ritual text dedicated to nine tailed fox immortals, not sure if that would qualify for this project or not

I'm not sure. I think, on its own, a ritual wouldn't count; it would need to be a collection of rituals, plus a calendar, some gods, some structure, maybe a reading list, and an overview of the values and beliefs in the faith, etc

(or, adapt that to whatever you do: I know not everyone has gods)

I think what I'm envisaging is - an equivalent to that first Pagan 101 book you buy, but it isn't only about generic Wicca. So:

• enough information that I could begin practicing the same faith as you - in a basic sort of way.
  • for something I've never heard of
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:25:00 am by Haptalaon »

Tags: