Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Native American Symbols  (Read 2015 times)

Za Nothos

• View Profile
Native American Symbols
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:54:08 pm »
Not sure if this is the correct place for this post or not. I apologize if it's misplaced!
Anywho, hello! I was wondering if anyone has a resource on Native American symbols, particularly of the four tribes in within the Blackfoot Confederacy, compared to other types of Native American symbols if possible. I've tried surfing the net for it, and have come up largely dry so far. I am finding symbols here or there, but nothing specific.

The reason I'm looking for this is because I was given a piece of turquoise and silver jewelry that was said to be Blackfoot, and I just don't feel it is. I have Blackfoot in my lineage and if it is of Blackfoot roots, I would love to use it in my rituals as a close protective item. But, I have a gut feeling that it's been advertised incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 01:55:23 pm by Za Nothos »

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Native American Symbols
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 02:09:53 pm »
Quote from: Za Nothos;132710
Not sure if this is the correct place for this post or not. I apologize if it's misplaced!
Anywho, hello! I was wondering if anyone has a resource on Native American symbols, particularly of the four tribes in within the Blackfoot Confederacy, compared to other types of Native American symbols if possible. I've tried surfing the net for it, and have come up largely dry so far. I am finding symbols here or there, but nothing specific.

The reason I'm looking for this is because I was given a piece of turquoise and silver jewelry that was said to be Blackfoot, and I just don't feel it is. I have Blackfoot in my lineage and if it is of Blackfoot roots, I would love to use it in my rituals as a close protective item. But, I have a gut feeling that it's been advertised incorrectly.

Just a heads up: asking for "Native American symbols" is about as useful as asking for "European symbols" or "Asian symbols": it's trying to combine several different nations into one distinct group, and generally leads to incorrect information and confusing mythologies, legends, etc. I mean, I get why people ask, and it's because we're led to believe all Native things are the same. It's just that it's ... not actually that true. :)

Now as to the object in question: there's a good chance that your gut instinct is right. Many nations have their names stolen and put onto objects and falsely sold as being from that nation (which is actually a serious crime! although certain phrasing can get around that, such as "Native American inspired"), whether they pick a name more well known, or from a nation that is local to your area. There's also a chance that the piece of turquoise is not actually turquoise, as a lot of it out there is just dyed howlite.

You may try to narrow your search down by the actual nation your family hailed from, as while the nations involved in the Confederacy all came from the same language family (Blackfoot), they were still distinct nations and had their own stories and practices. You could also try seeing if there are Native cultural centres in your state that you might be able to get in contact with; they may know people connected to this tribe (or tribes) or your family, or might have resources available to the public.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
Quote from: Za Nothos;132710

This might lead to answershttp://native-languages.org/blackfoot-legends.htm

Atehequa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 06:01:22 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;132712
Just a heads up: asking for "Native American symbols" is about as useful as asking for "European symbols" or "Asian symbols": it's trying to combine several different nations into one distinct group, and generally leads to incorrect information and confusing mythologies, legends, etc. I mean, I get why people ask, and it's because we're led to believe all Native things are the same. It's just that it's ... not actually that true. :)

Now as to the object in question: there's a good chance that your gut instinct is right. Many nations have their names stolen and put onto objects and falsely sold as being from that nation (which is actually a serious crime! although certain phrasing can get around that, such as "Native American inspired"), whether they pick a name more well known, or from a nation that is local to your area. There's also a chance that the piece of turquoise is not actually turquoise, as a lot of it out there is just dyed howlite.

You may try to narrow your search down by the actual nation your family hailed from, as while the nations involved in the Confederacy all came from the same language family (Blackfoot), they were still distinct nations and had their own stories and practices. You could also try seeing if there are Native cultural centres in your state that you might be able to get in contact with; they may know people connected to this tribe (or tribes) or your family, or might have resources available to the public.

Actually most of the Niitsítapi spoke Algonquian dialects, being one of the most far flung members of that language family. But part of that confederacy were the Sarcee, a people who spoke an Athabascan dialect.
Muckhswe kee sishet tepe?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:37:03 pm »
Quote from: Atehequa;135644
Actually most of the Niitsítapi spoke Algonquian dialects, being one of the most far flung members of that language family. But part of that confederacy were the Sarcee, a people who spoke an Athabascan dialect.

All true (though the Blackfoot languages are an actual subfamily within the Algonqiuian family, so Nyktipolos isn't wrong either).

It is worth noting that the Athabascan tribe you mention prefers to be known by their own name for themselves, Tsuu T'ina, rather than as Sarcee, which was the name their Blackfoot neighbors - initially enemies - called them.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Atehequa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:48:40 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;135648
All true (though the Blackfoot languages are an actual subfamily within the Algonqiuian family, so Nyktipolos isn't wrong either).

It is worth noting that the Athabascan tribe you mention prefers to be known by their own name for themselves, Tsuu T'ina, rather than as Sarcee, which was the name their Blackfoot neighbors - initially enemies - called them.

Sunflower

Guess I should of Wikapidiaed.

I do know that before the 1830s smallpox epidemic that more or less ended them as a formidable fighting force, they had some pretty interesting hunting and warrior societies. If a man lacked honors enough to gain him membership he could buy his way in. If the man also lacked material wealth, he could present his wife, if he didn't have a wife then perhaps a brother, cousin or friend could offer one of his in lieu of future returns.
Muckhswe kee sishet tepe?

Tags: