collapse

Author Topic: Have you consistently practised paganism since you first became interested?  (Read 5864 times)

cletus90851

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: juniper.;175665

My questions are these:
   1. When did you first become interested in paganism?
   2. Have you consistently practised?
   3. If so, what do you think the reasons for discontinuing?

1.  I was born into paganism, albeit a different path than I follow now. (mom was wicca dad was vodun/voodoo)  needless to say I learned basic divination early on.  I was 8 or 9 at the time.   I was introduced to various practices, and then when I moved out on my own I began to explore paganism further, and found that Hellenismos was the appropriate path for me.
2: yes
3: never discontinued, I just moved away from my birth religions into Hellenismos as that is what felt right to me and still does.

Moonstone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
I have dabbled in paganism since I was 19. I would start with a Wicca 101 book, but I found they didn't have enough substance. There was lots of instruction on what to do, but not much on the why. I am a scientist, so I need the why or it won't click for me. I would also get frustrated when reference A said X and reference B said Y.

A few years ago I went through a traumatic experience and have been healing since. As my health improves, my interest in spirituality has been rekindled. A combination of maturity (I am in my 40s), time (I am on disability), and organisation (I now write out my goals and limit the number of things I focus on so I don't get overwhelmed and shut down) has contributed to my finally beginning to explore in depth.
And I am thrilled with the resources now available (or maybe it's that maturity thing giving me the patience to search things out!). There is still a lot the chaff out there, but it has become easier to find substance. The internet is such a useful tool, but it is a double-edged sword for me as I can easily succumb to information overload. However, I am applying my scientist skills of determining which sources I feel are more valid. This is different too, because 'feeling' doesn't usually come into science--I am learning to not apply all of my scientific habits to spirituality.

My questions are these:

1. I discovered Wicca when I was 15 while looking for something to believe in as I was having mental health issues and I suppose I wanted comfort. I thought I wanted to be a Wiccan but as I explored more I discovered something more akin to celtic polytheism and I found that the Irish and Welsh pantheons resonated a lot with me.I am 22 now and a practicing celtic polytheist and trainee book learning hedgewitch.

2. I have practiced regularly since I was 15 or 16 apart from one long period last the year before last when I was sectioned for a year after having a decline in my mental health.

3. As I said in 2 I was in hospital for a year and unable to practice and not really feeling like practicing either. When I got back I wanted to practice again but I hadn't done anything pagan save praying for a whole year. I started with celebrating Samhain and the Winter Solstice and then just sort of carried on where I left off.

Hearth Keeper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://witchfire02.blogspot.com/
My questions are these:

1) I was interested in Pagans from a young age, when I would come across mentionings of them in my mythology books.  After being taught that Christianity is all that there was.  I wanted to know more about these Pagans and their beliefs.  I became a Pagan when I was 8, when the truth was revealed to me.  

2) For the most part, yes, I have consistently practiced.  Although I didn't start getting serious about Paganism until I discovered, and thus began to seriously practice witchcraft, in my early teens.
~)O(~

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
I have dabbled in paganism since I was 19. I would start with a Wicca 101 book, but I found they didn't have enough substance. There was lots of instruction on what to do, but not much on the why. I am a scientist, so I need the why or it won't click for me. I would also get frustrated when reference A said X and reference B said Y.

A few years ago I went through a traumatic experience and have been healing since. As my health improves, my interest in spirituality has been rekindled. A combination of maturity (I am in my 40s), time (I am on disability), and organisation (I now write out my goals and limit the number of things I focus on so I don't get overwhelmed and shut down) has contributed to my finally beginning to explore in depth.
And I am thrilled with the resources now available (or maybe it's that maturity thing giving me the patience to search things out!). There is still a lot the chaff out there, but it has become easier to find substance. The internet is such a useful tool, but it is a double-edged sword for me as I can easily succumb to information overload. However, I am applying my scientist skills of determining which sources I feel are more valid. This is different too, because 'feeling' doesn't usually come into science--I am learning to not apply all of my scientific habits to spirituality.

My questions are these:

1) ~1978 (14 years old)
2) Nope
3) I haven't "discontinued;" my practice has just gone through many forms.

~Gnowan

Vincent

• View Profile
Re: Have you consistently practised paganism since you first became interested?
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 06:26:22 pm »

My questions are these:

1. I first became interested around the age of 17-18, I was learning tarot during the summer holidays (as you do) and began reading about 'alternative' religions/spirituality. I began with Wicca as a lot do and feel most comfortable practicing a path which follows the Sabbats and looks upon Goddess and God as archetypal'ish beings.

2. No, I have followed many paths, or at least became modestly acquainted with some, others were more in depth.

3. Community and guidance primarily. Not knowing if what I am doing is correct, imagined etc. Also flippantly never mastering anything, I go here and there never really settling. My views have now become more mature and realistic however, I trust myself more also and realize no path or practice is better then any other. If you apply yourself you will see results. Spirituality also doesn't need to be a 24 hour thing, it can be as little as five minutes of your day and it can still be every bit as meaningful and powerful.

dragonflydreamer68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: druidism
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 01:17:17 pm »

My questions are these:

1). as a child i started researching my native american heritage, which led me  to my shamanistic tendencies.
2). i have researched and practiced my druidry the most since 2004, but life does get in the way and sometimes it gets put on the backburner for awhile
3).being a solitary practitioner, i think its easier to become lax in my studies and such, because there is no one else counting on me or my participation, i answer only to myself.

يابا دابا دو

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 08:07:38 pm »

When I stopped trying to be a Muslim when I was about 17

Yes if I apply the rule

x-(-x)=x+x  then sure :D

Being to secular and scientifically minded

Tags: