Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: had a really cool encounter august 13th  (Read 3780 times)

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
had a really cool encounter august 13th
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:26 am »
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this post. mods please move if you think it would do better elsewhere.

----

the other night was of course a full moon and also august 13th.
from what I've read that happens to be one of the dates for hekate.
so I had offerings left over from my last dark moon ritual and I took them up to a spot at a cross roads in a cemetery. I had used this spot previously a month ago to preform a hekate supper. I had three rocks piled up at the edge of the crossroads. so I went to go back to that spot to leave the egg,garlic and honey bread from my last ritual. It was 2am.
upon my arrival,as I aproached I realised there right at the front of the intersection in the shadows edge were two coyotes. they stared at me and didn't move as I came closer.
finally they did back up about two car lengths away into the cemetery,but they stayed.
I did my thing and left.
but that was the coolest thing ever.
I took it as a sign of course.
'somebody's' paying attention to what I'm doing and cares.
lol
wee!
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: had a really cool encounter august 13th
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:29:45 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;12995
upon my arrival,as I aproached I realised there right at the front of the intersection in the shadows edge were two coyotes. they stared at me and didn't move as I came closer.
finally they did back up about two car lengths away into the cemetery,but they stayed.
I did my thing and left.
lol
wee!

With the idea that the mundane explanation is often the most reasonable, this is probably not a sign of anything but normal coyote behavior.

The more humans encroach on coyote territory, the more interactions we'll have.  Coyotes are inquisitive - they jump out of the wash and over a fence into my in-laws' yard and have been known to peer in the living room windows at the cats.  

The pair you saw probably noticed you doing something, observed from a distance, and then noted food was being put out.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;13277
With the idea that the mundane explanation is often the most reasonable, this is probably not a sign of anything but normal coyote behavior.

The more humans encroach on coyote territory, the more interactions we'll have.  Coyotes are inquisitive - they jump out of the wash and over a fence into my in-laws' yard and have been known to peer in the living room windows at the cats.  

The pair you saw probably noticed you doing something, observed from a distance, and then noted food was being put out.

well sure,but they were there while I was still a block away,and in my ten years I've frequented this cemetery at least monthly at night and or day time and only ever run into the coyotes twice in all that time. but I am aware of their natural tendencies.
the timing was what got my attention though.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 02:44:34 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;13390
well sure,but they were there while I was still a block away,and in my ten years I've frequented this cemetery at least monthly at night and or day time and only ever run into the coyotes twice in all that time. but I am aware of their natural tendencies.
the timing was what got my attention though.

I'm of the philosophy that the gods and wights (or however you view these things) are of the mundane world. It's the animals' natural behaviors that mimic the essence of the deity, not out-of-ordinary behavior. I don't know what else their supposed to do to be spiritually significant, unless they become Narnia characters and offer you tea on behalf of Aslan.

For example, Odins related to ravens. Odin collects the dead, and ravens eat and remove the dead. It would be perfectly acceptable, IMO, to say that you saw Odin if you came across a raven eating a dead bunny on the road. That's what Odin's essence is and he's a being "of the world". He's associated to the birds mundane and natural behavior, he's not associated to ravens only when they stop behaving as ravens, you know? That makes no sense.

I'm not familiar with Hecate, but if she's associated with the two dogs and you saw two dogs when giving an offering, I wouldn't discount it as just mundane behavior. The dogs don't have to be intellectually aware of the connection, they don't have to spiritually aware of their significance, they just have to be two dogs going about their natural business. What makes it a 'cool encounter' is that you were in the frame of mind to see those natural- and thus 'divine'- dynamics at play and make the connection.

Spiritual doesn't have to equal supernatural, and miracles don't need to be performed to prove divinity.  The gods are the intangible that moves the world in it's mundane and normal behavior. They don't need to separate from the world, or from the natural order, to interact with us when they already interact with us through maintaining the mundane everyday.

Essentially, they ARE the mundane. ;)

Anyway, that's how I see it, don't know if it fits into your world perspective.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:53:11 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;13553
I'm of the philosophy that the gods and wights (or however you view these things) are of the mundane world. It's the animals' natural behaviors that mimic the essence of the deity, not out-of-ordinary behavior.

That helped me review an encounter I had a few years ago...  Now I can stop questioning myself.

I was riding my bike through the woods and came across a doe grazing on some plants. I promptly felt the need to stop, get off the bike as quickly as possible, and greet her.
I said "Hello" to her, and she looked up at me.  I took a few steps -very- carefully forward... As soon as I got about three feet away, I stopped.  We were so close and she didn't move an inch.  I stared into her intelligent eyes and she stared into mine.  I felt her spirit... I felt something wild when I was that close to her.  We stood like that for at least 5-10 minutes, then she casually broke the stare and began eating again.

I have no doubt I saw Mielikki in her, now.

~Talvi

"Ei kukaan ole seppä syntyessään."
(Also known as Winter Lavender from the old forum)

Livia Indica

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:31:05 am »
Quote from: spoOk;12995
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this post. mods please move if you think it would do better elsewhere.

----

the other night was of course a full moon and also august 13th.
from what I've read that happens to be one of the dates for hekate.
so I had offerings left over from my last dark moon ritual and I took them up to a spot at a cross roads in a cemetery. I had used this spot previously a month ago to preform a hekate supper. I had three rocks piled up at the edge of the crossroads. so I went to go back to that spot to leave the egg,garlic and honey bread from my last ritual. It was 2am.
I did my thing and left.
lol
wee!

I'm also of the opinion that what seems to be merely "mundane" is often just as magical as it appears. I don't like the word "mundane" too much because once someone hears or reads or says it it's like they've switched off their intuition and emotions. The everyday can be just as meaningful and I'd say your experience was pretty amazing!  

I once decided to move out of my folks home, this was years ago, against their wishes and as I drove away an owl flew away from the road on one side and a fox ran away from the road on the other side. This was broad daylight so I've no idea what they would've been doing there other than to warn me of the path I was contemplating. But I passed it off as nothing and boy, did I live to regret it! If I'd listened to what they were trying to tell me I could have saved myself a lot of pain. I say always pat attention to animal encounters, if they are magical and meaningful to you then don't let anyone tell you different.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 02:51:29 pm »
Quote from: Livia Indica;19602
I'm also of the opinion that what seems to be merely "mundane" is often just as magical as it appears. I don't like the word "mundane" too much because once someone hears or reads or says it it's like they've switched off their intuition and emotions. The everyday can be just as meaningful and I'd say your experience was pretty amazing!  

I once decided to move out of my folks home, this was years ago, against their wishes and as I drove away an owl flew away from the road on one side and a fox ran away from the road on the other side. This was broad daylight so I've no idea what they would've been doing there other than to warn me of the path I was contemplating. But I passed it off as nothing and boy, did I live to regret it! If I'd listened to what they were trying to tell me I could have saved myself a lot of pain. I say always pat attention to animal encounters, if they are magical and meaningful to you then don't let anyone tell you different.

thanks juniperberry et al. for your replies. I appreciate them all and actually you've all in your own ways confirmed for me what I thought of the situation to begin with. thanks.:)
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Tags: