Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Witchcraft: Feri Tradition and Finding a Teacher  (Read 4219 times)

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Feri Tradition and Finding a Teacher
« on: March 02, 2019, 10:32:41 am »
I have studied Feri since I was a teenager as far as I could through books and the internet, but lately I've been feeling like I should make it official and find a teacher and maybe pursue initiation. Considering it is mostly based on the west coast of the US, being in Ontario, Canada is kind of remote. Even Toronto has a pretty pathetic pagan community, with only a few organized traditions represented. I have some contact with a Garnderian coven, although it doesn't feel very traditional, and the people involved are very stereotypically pagan, in that many of them are dealing with mental illness, poverty, obesity, are pushing 40 and dressing like angsty teenagers, etc. I don't mean to sound judgmental, I just don't know if it's a healthy community for me, or if what is going on is truly healthy for the people already involved, either.

My struggles with the Roman Catholic Church have peaked lately and I think I've finally had enough. I might still attend high Anglican liturgies, but not so much because I believe in the faith, but because the aesthetics and the music do lend themselves to a spiritual state of mind. At the core, I'm a universalist and I do feel that all religions are different methods of understanding the same divine presence. I think paganism is best suited for me, though I find the community aspect in real life disappointing so far, and my heart has always been in Feri, but finding like-minded people and someone to give me proper training is ever the struggle.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
Re: Feri Tradition and Finding a Teacher
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 01:42:36 pm »
I have studied Feri since I was a teenager as far as I could through books and the internet, but lately I've been feeling like I should make it official and find a teacher and maybe pursue initiation. Considering it is mostly based on the west coast of the US, being in Ontario, Canada is kind of remote. Even Toronto has a pretty pathetic pagan community, with only a few organized traditions represented. I have some contact with a Garnderian coven, although it doesn't feel very traditional, and the people involved are very stereotypically pagan, in that many of them are dealing with mental illness, poverty, obesity, are pushing 40 and dressing like angsty teenagers, etc. I don't mean to sound judgmental, I just don't know if it's a healthy community for me, or if what is going on is truly healthy for the people already involved, either.

My struggles with the Roman Catholic Church have peaked lately and I think I've finally had enough. I might still attend high Anglican liturgies, but not so much because I believe in the faith, but because the aesthetics and the music do lend themselves to a spiritual state of mind. At the core, I'm a universalist and I do feel that all religions are different methods of understanding the same divine presence. I think paganism is best suited for me, though I find the community aspect in real life disappointing so far, and my heart has always been in Feri, but finding like-minded people and someone to give me proper training is ever the struggle.

I don't know much about Feri. Part of my understanding of it is that it is a Tradition that seems to require face-to-face interaction in some sort of community of initiates or one-on-one with a Teacher. So, I think you are probably taking a natural next step into that Tradition. I wish you luck with it.

The main reason that I wanted to respond to your post was that I am also a Universalist. I have a similar view of religion as different ways of approaching the Divine, the Sacred. Anyway, I just wanted to note that.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 07:02:44 pm »
[...] many of them are dealing with mental illness, poverty, obesity, are pushing 40 and dressing like angsty teenagers, etc. I don't mean to sound judgmental, I just don't know if it's a healthy community for me, or if what is going on is truly healthy for the people already involved, either.

Is there some reason you would expect that someone with ties to the Feri community would want to recommend someone with this sort of opinion of others?  Or that an initiate would want to tackle a student with this much blatant, unexamined personal baggage?

A Feri circle is an amplifier and enhances what people bring into it.  If you can say such things just pattering away on the internet in neutral space, what will come out of your mouth in a Feri circle?  What poison will you introduce into the magic?  What will you do to sabotage the people who trusted you to not bring toxicity into that space?

Feri was founded by poor, disabled people.  If you don't like poor, disabled people, then you don't like Feri.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 05:56:53 am »
I have some contact with a Garnderian coven, although it doesn't feel very traditional, and the people involved are very stereotypically pagan, in that many of them are dealing with mental illness, poverty, obesity, are pushing 40 and dressing like angsty teenagers, etc. I don't mean to sound judgmental, I just don't know if it's a healthy community for me, or if what is going on is truly healthy for the people already involved, either.

*** MOD HAT ON ***
This is another example of the unnecessary and judgmental language you have been warned about, most recently in December of last year. While it does not quite rise to the level the posts that lead to those warnings -- so I will not ban you this time. However, any further language of this kind will lead to a ban, under our rule that says "DO NOT make blanket condemnations of religions, cultures, peoples, or classes/categories of people." You could have made you point about that group not being right for you without condemning anyone, for example, you could have said something like: "I have some contact with a Garnderian coven, although it doesn't feel very traditional, and I'm not really comfortable with the people in the group, so I just don't think it's a healthy community for me."
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 10:03:08 pm »
Is there some reason you would expect that someone with ties to the Feri community would want to recommend someone with this sort of opinion of others?  Or that an initiate would want to tackle a student with this much blatant, unexamined personal baggage?

A Feri circle is an amplifier and enhances what people bring into it.  If you can say such things just pattering away on the internet in neutral space, what will come out of your mouth in a Feri circle?  What poison will you introduce into the magic?  What will you do to sabotage the people who trusted you to not bring toxicity into that space?

Feri was founded by poor, disabled people.  If you don't like poor, disabled people, then you don't like Feri.

Yikes, ouch. I don't want to be poison and toxicity, although I don't recall saying I don't like anybody, just expressing concern that some pagan groups aren't always the healthiest communities, psychologically. Anyway, it's too hard to discuss anything on this forum without hysterics, so I'm out.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:19:33 am »
Yikes, ouch. I don't want to be poison and toxicity, although I don't recall saying I don't like anybody, just expressing concern that some pagan groups aren't always the healthiest communities, psychologically. Anyway, it's too hard to discuss anything on this forum without hysterics, so I'm out.

You may notice (although probably not) that people who do not come in here railing about how gross and off-putting it is to be near fat poor women who dress in fashions you don't like...are not greeted with hysterics.

Just saying.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:00:12 am »
You may notice (although probably not) that people who do not come in here railing about how gross and off-putting it is to be near fat poor women who dress in fashions you don't like...are not greeted with hysterics.

I'm not even touching the word "hysterics" with a ten-foot pole.  I personally don't consider it intrinsically misogynistic despite its etymology and connotations but it sure means "Wow, you are unreasonable and emotional about this" and it's so very tacky to assume emotional responses not in evidence.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 02:28:28 pm »
I'm not even touching the word "hysterics" with a ten-foot pole.  I personally don't consider it intrinsically misogynistic despite its etymology and connotations but it sure means "Wow, you are unreasonable and emotional about this" and it's so very tacky to assume emotional responses not in evidence.

Also, I think I'm 100% justified in having an emotional response to an insult that's about people like me. (The response I wanted to make and decided against was significantly more histrionic. Lets just say it involved a photo of me making some inappropriate hand gestures.)

Even if it's framed as "well I don't think this is healthy for youuuu" it's still concern trolling, and it's unwelcome. I will decide what spiritual practices, manner of dress, self-care and other health concerns are beneficial to my well-being, not some judgy dude on an internet forum.

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 03:00:48 pm »
Also, I think I'm 100% justified in having an emotional response to an insult that's about people like me. (The response I wanted to make and decided against was significantly more histrionic. Lets just say it involved a photo of me making some inappropriate hand gestures.)

Even if it's framed as "well I don't think this is healthy for youuuu" it's still concern trolling, and it's unwelcome. I will decide what spiritual practices, manner of dress, self-care and other health concerns are beneficial to my well-being, not some judgy dude on an internet forum.

I'm all for lifting oneself out of poverty and becoming physically fit if possible, but for a guy who says he's from a Roman Catholic background and convinced paganism is the right path, he sure came off sounding like he belongs in some Prosperity Gospel Megachurch...

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 04:38:14 pm »
Anyway, it's too hard to discuss anything on this forum without hysterics, so I'm out.

*** MOD HAT ON ***
Demophon,

Let me help you to stick to that commitment, with the permanent ban that Randall didn't think you quite rated in his warning a few days ago. Goodbye!

Sunflower
TC Message Board Coordinator
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Mandi_S

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Chao-Christian
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 11:26:19 am »

For anyone who might have a similar challenge...

The easiest way I've found to get hands on - not necessarily one on one instruction is to host a workshop in your location.  You have to meet people to find out if the click is there before moving to the next step.  You have to work within the system you have.

Without attending and hosting a couple workshops, knowing the people, I don't think the next step would be as meaningful. 

I'd check who is in a travelling time of life and who locally would want to help you put it together/ host that you would be interested in learning from.  This also provides a measure of safety for the instructor.  There is a trade of goods for services and agreed upon terms of those services. 

Gotta do the leg work.  Magic is a lifelong path.  Cutting corners or rushing doesn't create any meaningful advantage. 

There are a few long term solid Feri Artists that I really like.  I don't have the same focus in work though and we wouldn't mix in magic because of it.  I do periodically cast a bit of yay in their direction and remember others fondly.

Artists can usually be found through their work. 

Unless there was someone specifically that you were already following their work/social media and writings, supporting their work, asking questions about etc.  I don't know how one could know they wanted to be more closely related to them.

Humans are humans.  I think we tend to view trending paths as prettier, more attractive or more socially acceptable.  Especially when the name has built in positive associations or even just softly pronounced letters.

You'll find just as many humans on one path as you'll find on another.

Your ability to connect with your local groups and work within systems of humans is your resume and calling card.

Tags: