collapse

Author Topic: Delving seriously into pop paganism/WH40k paganism  (Read 3221 times)

RecycledBenedict

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2015
  • Posts: 851
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Delving seriously into pop paganism/WH40k paganism
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 09:24:19 pm »
Quote from: Castus;191310
taking the Catholic-influenced imagery and jargon, along with the basics of how the Emperor is perceived and worshiped in-canon, and slamming that hard into a Religio-based praxis.


The pig Latin is terrible, it reminds me why I wouldn't go near that game, even if I had been a fan of tin soldiers, which I am not.

A question to consider is, where on the axis Cosmic Order -- Liberation this religion would fall. Kemeticism seem to be much about Cosmic Order. Human rites on Earth upholds Maat. Buddhism is very much about liberation from an existence of suffering, impermanence and clinging to illusory ego. Most religions fall somewhere in between. Mediterranean pagans seem to have fallen on different points of this axis, depending on profession and in which century they lived: Early Greeks and farmers falls closer to the Cosmic Order end of the axis, while late Greeks and philosophers falls closer to the Liberation end of the axis. Where does this pop cultural religion of yours fall?

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 4782
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 649
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Delving seriously into pop paganism/WH40k paganism
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 09:26:32 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191336
A question to consider is, where on the axis Cosmic Order -- Liberation this religion would fall. Kemeticism seem to be much about Cosmic Order. Human rites on Earth upholds Maat. Buddhism is very much about liberation from an existence of suffering, impermanence and clinging to illusory ego. Most religions fall somewhere in between. Mediterranean pagans seem to have fallen on different points of this axis, depending on profession and in which century they lived: Early Greeks and farmers falls closer to the Cosmic Order end of the axis, while late Greeks and philosophers falls closer to the Liberation end of the axis. Where does this pop cultural religion of yours fall?

 
... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that these are opposing polarities, honestly.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2435
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 141
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Delving seriously into pop paganism/WH40k paganism
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 09:27:26 pm »
Quote from: Castus;191310


My brother is the big WH40k fan in the house and owns a great deal of their novels, so I've begun reading the less... war-centered ones in hopes of gleaning some good bits of lore; in addition to online reading.


Dan Abnett. Eisenhorn.
Superman is uncircumcised. Change my mind.

Castus

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Virginia
  • Posts: 794
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 66
    • View Profile
  • Religion: doo-doo-doo-dee-doo
Re: Delving seriously into pop paganism/WH40k paganism
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 09:44:01 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;191338
Dan Abnett. Eisenhorn.

 
I've read one of the Eisenhorn books I think. He owns them all. I'll read them.

RecycledBenedict

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2015
  • Posts: 851
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Delving seriously into pop paganism/WH40k paganism
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 09:44:47 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;191337
... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that these are opposing polarities, honestly.


Let me rephrase it: Is existence harmony or tragedy? As I wrote in my initial post on the subject, most religions fall in the middle between - or the stress on each exist in different parts of the same religion, which is often the case.

Castus

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Virginia
  • Posts: 794
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 66
    • View Profile
  • Religion: doo-doo-doo-dee-doo
Re: Delving seriously into pop paganism/WH40k paganism
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 01:17:09 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;191333
Some short - or not so short - daily devotion(s) characterize most religions.

Traditional Hindus prays sandhya vandanam, less traditional Hindus at least participate in an aarti, Roman Catholics have the Liturgy of the Hours or the Roman Breviary (though less popular among the laity), Anglican Christians have Book of Common Prayer, Japanese Buddhists recite the short puja according to temple-affiliation (danka), Moslem prays five times, Bahais have a prayer cycle with three prayers of different length, Jews prays three services from the Siddur, and Roman Reconstructionst Pagans venerate (at a minimum) Janus, the genii and Vesta.

How would a pop cultural cycle of daily prayers be organized?

 
I've begun tentatively putting together a Breviary and Liturgy of the Hours in the Catholic fashion, which can serve as a nice activity and maybe eventually as the basis for actually doing a WH40k Liturgy of the Hours. That would be distinct from shrine rites, which would be according mostly to the ritual structure common to the Religio, rather than anything Catholic.

As for recitation of names, I remember when it was in vogue in the pagan blogosphere to come up with lists of epithets for one's favoured deity. I could always do that, and then possibly integrate a rosary-type practice.

RecycledBenedict

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2015
  • Posts: 851
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Delving seriously into pop paganism/WH40k paganism
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 06:11:17 pm »
Quote from: Castus;191375
I've begun tentatively putting together a Breviary and Liturgy of the Hours in the Catholic fashion, which can serve as a nice activity and maybe eventually as the basis for actually doing a WH40k Liturgy of the Hours. That would be distinct from shrine rites, which would be according mostly to the ritual structure common to the Religio, rather than anything Catholic.

As for recitation of names, I remember when it was in vogue in the pagan blogosphere to come up with lists of epithets for one's favoured deity. I could always do that, and then possibly integrate a rosary-type practice.


Pop culture paganism puzzles me in a way no other religion does, probably because it is so from-scratch, so to say. It sounds, however, like you are going to make it workable. It is a little bit strange for us outsiders, though I am familiar with Chaos Magic.

Are you going to include the Machine God too? Probably a good idea in our type of society?

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
951 Views
Last post December 16, 2011, 03:48:37 pm
by R03e
83 Replies
11722 Views
Last post July 24, 2013, 09:09:39 pm
by Jack
2 Replies
2246 Views
Last post May 24, 2013, 09:05:37 pm
by Jujulinda
9 Replies
1014 Views
Last post August 15, 2017, 12:31:32 pm
by Jainarayan
30 Replies
1543 Views
Last post May 14, 2019, 10:36:44 pm
by Louisvillian

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall