"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: General/Non-Specific: Brain waking and your path  (Read 2021 times)

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Brain waking and your path
« on: February 27, 2020, 05:42:03 pm »
More a curious quick survey than a direct question.

I had a kind of 'vision' ( for want of a better word ) while working today - thought I caught a figure standing out of the corner of my eye then, next thing I know I'm sort of in two places at once; working on the very focussed process of strimming a lawn ( too low and I cut mud, too high and it just looks scruffy ) and being aware of what I'm doing; watching/being with someone in kahki struggling through jungle in what feels like a war ( image, not sound or smell ).
Now, frankly, this is not something I consider a lesson or guidance, nor is it what I have when I daydream or focus on an aspect ( felt more real than one and less part of me than the other ), and finally I doubt it's a vision in the usual sense of seeing through time/space distance. However it did feel like sort of a bleed through.
It's not the first time I've had something like that but something struck me as different - I can't describe it but it feels like it's like a part of my senses is waking up or I'm getting a door go slightly more open.

So it's now evening when I post this and, mulling it over, I'm wondering if it's how little areas of your mind might switch on if they get stimulated often enough or how vistas open up as you walk far enough along a wooded path.
So my survey/question is have any of you had that where you got closer to magic, deity or religion and had things sort of switch on inside without expectation?

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Brain waking and your path
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 05:50:20 pm »
So my survey/question is have any of you had that where you got closer to magic, deity or religion and had things sort of switch on inside without expectation?

Hmm I can't say that I have off the top of my head, really.  But I'd be quite curious about how you come to reflect on your 'vision' come tomorrow, having slept on it overnight...
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 06:32:31 pm »
Hmm I can't say that I have off the top of my head, really.  But I'd be quite curious about how you come to reflect on your 'vision' come tomorrow, having slept on it overnight...

Honestly, I have half my mind thinking 'you're just making it up'.
If it wasn't for how it felt/how my brain felt in relation, I'd have dismissed it but..

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 12:15:05 am »

Yes. That's how I felt when I first "met" Brighid and decided to be open to communication from Her.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:58:21 am »
If it wasn't for how it felt/how my brain felt in relation, I'd have dismissed it but..

And (you don't have to tell me, obviously) today? Any revalatory or interesting dreams to add to the data?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 04:23:45 am »
And (you don't have to tell me, obviously) today? Any revalatory or interesting dreams to add to the data?

No but I will add the rest of the 'vision'. I didn't include it yesterday because my bain became involved in it at a certain point and I lived long enough inside my own mental castle to always have doubts about whether my mind or ego are affecting my perception.

This first I'm still dubious about being a mix of 'vision' and brain: So, my brain isn't one to sit and watch and I tried to work out how to spur him on. Then he's down and trying to get up.. It made me think about the times I've known my family will themselves ( my grandad was on deaths door but wanted to enjoy Christmas dinner - he was out of bed for the dinner, laughing and enjoying himself [ bear in mind he was weak as anything by then ], the next day he just died ), it was like he had something to do before he died.

Then it jumped location and this ( after sleeping on it ) I feel much more confident with than I did before: Where the jungle was light and day, though smoke and humid mist this new location is inside and dark. Glowing red and black and brown. A forge I guess. There are spears along the wall and I'm meant to pick one, which I do. ( now this next section my mind gets a bit involved with so.. ) The spear had a section that removed and had small tools in it and it felt like it represented me

That's it, no new revelations but more confidence.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 11:03:06 am »

I was talking to my teacher about this recently (related to where I am in training). Her advice was basically, "Tell that part of you we're playing a game of pretend so it can bugger off and let you get some work done." ;)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 01:42:12 pm »
So it's now evening when I post this and, mulling it over, I'm wondering if it's how little areas of your mind might switch on if they get stimulated often enough or how vistas open up as you walk far enough along a wooded path.

One of the things my teachers talked about is that modern society often trains us out of paying attention to certain kinds of experiences/input/etc.

In that context, if we start deliberately exploring those areas again, after some repetition and reinforcement [1], we often find ourselves opening up to even more of those experiences.

I've also found, for all the good anecdote is, that my experience that come from deity/numinous contact tend to be in a very different mode from the usual stuff that comes from my own head. I'm mostly not a visual person in terms of things like meditation, but the 'this is a deity with a comment' stuff has all had strong specific visuals, and also often scents or a particular kind of tactile information that isn't present when I'm doing stuff in my own head.

Like Darkhawk, my teachers were also big on "What happens if we treat this like it is real, and see what happens?" because our brains and our conscious minds do get in our own way. [2]

[1] This is why it's often recommended to keep a journal or notebook - not just so you can track things, but because the act of writing it down is a sign to your brain that this is a thing you care about, that you're paying attention to. Over time, it means you're more likely to notice things like that (humans are pattern-making creatures) and not ignore them or minimise them.

[2] Obviously, be aware of mental health concerns, and don't make life-changing decisions based on a single numinous experience (or even a string of them, without some other checks and balances), and be super careful of anything that is bad for you in specific, or that encourages harmful actions to yourself or others. But 'explore this thing thoughtfully'? Sure, with some common sense applied.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: