Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Asatru/Heathenism: Asatru and incorporating into daily life.  (Read 2283 times)

algiz

• View Profile
  • Religion: Asatru
Asatru and incorporating into daily life.
« on: October 17, 2017, 05:26:30 am »
Firstly, "Hello" as this is my first real post here.

Secondly, I just wondered how people incorporate Asatru into their daily lives? Over the years I have used Runes, read many texts and performed rituals. Lately I have found myself feeling like I am straying from the path. Daily life is so busy that I feel I am letting myself down by not being dedicated enough and finding more time for all things related to Asatru.

I wondered if any others have felt this way with any faith and in particular Asatru and how they incorporated more into daily life.

Thanks.

Figment99

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: Asatru and incorporating into daily life.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 01:28:45 pm »

Secondly, I just wondered how people incorporate Asatru into their daily lives? Over the years I have used Runes, read many texts and performed rituals. Lately I have found myself feeling like I am straying from the path. Daily life is so busy that I feel I am letting myself down by not being dedicated enough and finding more time for all things related to Asatru.

I wondered if any others have felt this way with any faith and in particular Asatru and how they incorporated more into daily life.

Thanks.
What I find that works for me is doing little things that add up over time. For example, if you have a few minutes to yourself in the morning or before bed spend it speaking to the Gods (of your choice), saying a prayer or blessings, showing gratitude, etc. When you are at dinner, raise you glass to your deity.

There are lots of little things that you can do to honor you deities and your path. If you workout, dedicate your workout session to Thor. If you are cooking a meal you can ask Frigg to bless it. This can work with any tradition. Just like any relationship, sometimes it is the small things that matter most.  :)
Our life is what our thoughts make it. Marcus Aurelius

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <~~ A Pagan Egroup. Feel free to join.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:58:27 pm »

Thanks.

Hi, Algiz, welcome to TC! I don't know if you've found our Asatru and Heathenry SIG forum yet, but I recommend checking out the threads there for more information on the subject, as well as what you'll get from responses in this thread.

I should emphasize that I'm not suggesting you shouldn't have started this thread, or that this is the wrong place for it (as you saw - and applied - we have an 'Asatru/Heathenism' prefix here for threads focused on that set of cultural polytheisms, which we wouldn't have if threads like yours weren't fine), just making sure you know that A&H is there to peruse.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

algiz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:37:15 am »
What I find that works for me is doing little things that add up over time. For example, if you have a few minutes to yourself in the morning or before bed spend it speaking to the Gods (of your choice), saying a prayer or blessings, showing gratitude, etc. When you are at dinner, raise you glass to your deity.

There are lots of little things that you can do to honor you deities and your path. If you workout, dedicate your workout session to Thor. If you are cooking a meal you can ask Frigg to bless it. This can work with any tradition. Just like any relationship, sometimes it is the small things that matter most.  :)

Many thanks for this and that all makes perfect sense.

algiz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 05:37:52 am »
Many thanks for this and that all makes perfect sense.

many thanks and no problem at all. I will look at the other forum. Thanks for pointing me there.

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:14:11 pm »

Thanks.

One thing I've found useful is to have some fairly simple rituals which I do on a regular basis. Every Sunday, I make offerings to the house wight and ancestors. Every Friday, I make an offering to Frigga, Freya and Holle. These "rituals" are so simple, I don't even think they really deserve the name. I have an outdoor altar, I say a short prayer, I add some wine to the offering bowl. That's it. It honestly takes about two minutes. I do more elaborate rituals at other times, but I think that the lack of intensity of relatively simple and quick rituals can be offset by their regularity.

My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 02:23:02 pm »

Thanks.

I galdr daily. I also dedicate all my house work to Holda.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 06:40:58 pm »

Thanks.

Do you mind if I get in on this? Although I have a different religion, incorporating reconstructionist worship into daily life in the modern world is a topic that interests me. And it is far more difficult than it first appears, especially for me as my living conditions limit active worship. Obviously, there is a philosophical component, which can be purely theological, or involve abstract metaphysics. However there are also practical considerations. For example, maize agriculture is really important in my religion, but I cannot actually grow maize (I rent an apartment). My solution is to eat maize as often as possible. Another solution is to combine prayer and offerings with daily activity. Cleaning would be a good example, and many religions have divinities associated with cleansing, renewal, and purification.

I still have some questions about the connection between religion and practical morality. This is a hard thing to test however; first, because the ancients were not always consistent with their own behaviour. And second, because it is difficult to know how to deal with moral questions when you are alone. This is a particular problem for me, as I am almost entirely alone. Although other reconstuctionist religions have larger communities, most live alone, and moral issues don't always wait for discussion.

Tags: