collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Georgian paganism?  (Read 3499 times)

luc798

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Sep 2013
  • Posts: 40
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Georgian paganism?
« on: October 10, 2013, 05:02:54 am »
Hello everyone!

So, I'm spending my vacations for two weeks in Georgia (next to Turkey, not US)
Now, this is a Really old country and I am sure there are a lot of Pagan references occult in its history and tradition.

I'm wondering if anyone here follows or has any idea/knowledge about their Pagan Gods, Pantheon or similar? So far I have only found references on internet about a supremete deity called Armazi.

Anyway, maybe there is some follower here who can shed some light on its history, or any old Pagan site of interest I could visit?

Materialist

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 605
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Georgian paganism?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:21:37 pm »
Quote from: sally_neuf;124587
I'm wondering if anyone here follows or has any idea/knowledge about their Pagan Gods, Pantheon or similar? So far I have only found references on internet about a supreme deity called Armazi.

The Georgians very early converted to Zoroastrianism. When Christians began evangelizing the area all the pagan practices they bitched about were Zoroastrian ones. There's a  DOC download you can read, "Pagan Cults in Pre-Christian Georgia," by M. Gvelesiani; just make a general web search for it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:30:43 pm by Materialist »

luc798

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Sep 2013
  • Posts: 40
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Georgian paganism?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:36:36 am »
Quote from: Materialist;124722
The Georgians very early converted to Zoroastrianism. When Christians began evangelizing the area all the pagan practices they bitched about were Zoroastrian ones. There's a  DOC download you can read, "Pagan Cults in Pre-Christian Georgia," by M. Gvelesiani; just make a general web search for it.

Thanks for the reference!
Seems objective and nice. I read some paper on a journal with such biased phrases as:
"......St. Nino realized her mission
and Kartli became a Christian country. Most of population
there finally recognized the importance of Christianity in
comparison with worship of soulless creatures."
 :sick: Horrible sentence from an allegedly serious journal. But ok, this people are crazy about their Orthodox church.

assassin2206

  • Jr. Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2014
  • Posts: 1
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Georgian paganism?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 09:17:17 am »
Quote from: luc798;124860
Thanks for the reference!
Seems objective and nice. I read some paper on a journal with such biased phrases as:
"......St. Nino realized her mission
and Kartli became a Christian country. Most of population
there finally recognized the importance of Christianity in
comparison with worship of soulless creatures."
 :sick: Horrible sentence from an allegedly serious journal. But ok, this people are crazy about their Orthodox church.

 
I am really sorry for the ignorance of the majority of my people , thanks for visiting my country , I hope you had a great time . I am an agnostic myself but I do know that Georgian paganism had elements similar to Greek paganism too because of the close relationships between Colchis ( Kolkheti ) and Greek people . Simple evidence to that is the story of argonauts . One deity called Amirani had the story 90 percent similar to the story of Prometheus . Also you probably met someone named Tamar ( Tamari ) in Georgia , that name doesn't come from queen Tamar of the golden age of Georgia , Tamar was the goddess of the sky . Nowadays we use a lot of names once used in Georgian paganism ( so sad that it got replaced with foolish christianity ) . Also if you want to know more about Georgian paganism you should go to one of the coldest part of Georgia , region called Khevsureti . Khevsureti wasn't part of Kartli but it also had great traditions and a great culture until Nino ruined it ...

Atlantean Perspective

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Mar 2014
  • Posts: 11
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Georgian paganism?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:56:24 pm »
Quote from: luc798;124587
Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone here follows or has any idea/knowledge about their Pagan Gods, Pantheon or similar? So far I have only found references on internet about a supremete deity called Armazi.

Anyway, maybe there is some follower here who can shed some light on its history, or any old Pagan site of interest I could visit?

I'm not a follower, but can tell you that there were a number of religious influences that affected Georgia before Christianity, mainly Persian and Scythian ('Indo-Persian'). Try searching the web for 'Ossetian mythology', 'Scythians', 'Sarmatians' and you'll get the idea.... happy quest!

Try here at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossetian_mythology

Don't forget to look at the Christian material too (saints, legends etc) - this often hides the pagan ideas. The Scythians and Thracians (on the western side of the Black Sea) had influence upon the Greek and Celtic religions. Dionysus and Orphism being cases in point.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:04:01 pm by Atlantean Perspective »

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Georgian paganism?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:05:07 am »
Quote from: Atlantean Perspective;148580
I'm not a follower, but can tell you that there were a number of religious influences that affected Georgia before Christianity, mainly Persian and Scythian ('Indo-Persian'). Try searching the web for 'Ossetian mythology', 'Scythians', 'Sarmatians' and you'll get the idea.... happy quest!

Try here at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossetian_mythology

Don't forget to look at the Christian material too (saints, legends etc) - this often hides the pagan ideas. The Scythians and Thracians (on the western side of the Black Sea) had influence upon the Greek and Celtic religions. Dionysus and Orphism being cases in point.

 
Just so you're aware, the OP started this thread back in 2013 and hasn't been back to TC since February of this year.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

the_raven

  • Guest
Re: Georgian paganism?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 02:53:24 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;148788
Just so you're aware, the OP started this thread back in 2013 and hasn't been back to TC since February of this year.

 
Maybe he was caught by an angry mob of Georgians? I know from personal experience that the Geogians, especially the elderly ones, can be very easily insulted, especially when someone tries to discuss religious aspects. Though I'm just making a joke. :ange:

Miriani

  • Jr. Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2017
  • Posts: 1
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Georgian paganism?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 01:41:18 pm »
Quote from: luc798;124587
Hello everyone!

So, I'm spending my vacations for two weeks in Georgia (next to Turkey, not US)
Now, this is a Really old country and I am sure there are a lot of Pagan references occult in its history and tradition.

I'm wondering if anyone here follows or has any idea/knowledge about their Pagan Gods, Pantheon or similar? So far I have only found references on internet about a supremete deity called Armazi.

Anyway, maybe there is some follower here who can shed some light on its history, or any old Pagan site of interest I could visit?




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_mythology There is everything for you to know about Georgian gods. Georgian paganism ended when Saint Nino came to Georgia and when Miriani III of Iberia(Georgia) and Queen Nana converted to Christianity. If you want to know how Christianity spread in Iberia(Georgia) here is the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianization_of_Iberia
And hope you had a great time in my country. :D:

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
11199 Views
Last post June 23, 2011, 05:18:38 pm
by RandallS
10 Replies
4225 Views
Last post July 22, 2011, 04:52:14 pm
by Jenett
44 Replies
14261 Views
Last post July 07, 2012, 11:00:53 am
by DancesWithHorses
2 Replies
2205 Views
Last post August 01, 2011, 01:46:22 pm
by HeartShadow
23 Replies
8458 Views
Last post January 12, 2012, 09:56:25 pm
by Nomad of Nowhere

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall