Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pop Culture Paganism: A Mercurial project: call for participants  (Read 8354 times)

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
A Mercurial project: call for participants
« on: June 13, 2020, 06:14:26 pm »
Many of you already know that I am in forever in the midst of a slow, difficult, messy project to put together a religious text for my peculiar faith. Drawing from my Jewish background, I decided what I needed was a proper Talmud: a collection of spiritual commentaries on and religious conclusions drawn from the canonical songs of the Queen discography. A little while ago, I settled on how I would do it.

I'm looking for a handful of "students" to contribute to this project: people who want to listen to the discography of Queen song by song with new ears, discuss each song and album with me, and read some texts for background along the way (no more than ten books and probably less). At the end, I would compile our commentaries and discussion into a single volume.

Obviously this is quite an undertaking--I figure everyone could go at their own pace. Would anyone be interested in joining me for this project? So far Castus has volunteered as a guinea pig, but I'm thinking I'll need multiple viewpoints.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: A Mercurial project: call for participants
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 06:36:58 pm »
Obviously this is quite an undertaking--I figure everyone could go at their own pace. Would anyone be interested in joining me for this project? So far Castus has volunteered as a guinea pig, but I'm thinking I'll need multiple viewpoints.

Although I am quite busy with a writing project myself among other matters, I would like to make time to contribute to this project.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 06:44:26 pm »
Although I am quite busy with a writing project myself among other matters, I would like to make time to contribute to this project.

Yay, participation!

I haven't completely ironed out the required reading yet (I am particularly looking for a different book on Zoroastrianism, one that focuses more on what a twentieth-century adherent would have known, but haven't found one yet), but you can see a more detailed summary of the project here.
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Fencraft: Seekers of the Landweird
  • Religion: Fencraft (Pagan animism/trad witchcraft/cunning craft/folklore)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 12:30:26 pm »

I'm looking for a handful of "students" to contribute to this project: people who want to listen to the discography of Queen song by song with new ears, discuss each song and album with me, and read some texts for background along the way (no more than ten books and probably less). At the end, I would compile our commentaries and discussion into a single volume.

Glorious. Do you read Phonogram or the Wicked + the Divine ? Comic books set in worlds where music is magic and stars a kind of deification; I find them really *zingy* if that makes sense, I get a real magical buzz off them.

My craft does queer Pan-Dionysus-as-rock-gods, so this is very in my zone. I don't think I can make the commitment you're looking for (I'm flakey at long projects, and also can't get the books), but I am interested if there a lower commitment role you can think of. For example, a single album if I am able to scrounge the book somehow; or, if that's too shallow an engagement with the corpus, formatting/proofreading the final thing. Keep me in mind if you can think of a smaller task I'd be a fit for x
Pagan life blog: Haptalaon @ Dreamwidth
Fencraft Handbook: Seekers of the Landweird: for land-trance, pagan animism, folklore and traditional witchcraft

SirPalomides

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Surrealist with feet in Chinese and Western esotericism
  • Preferred Pronouns: thou/thee
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 10:56:52 am »
Many of you already know that I am in forever in the midst of a slow, difficult, messy project to put together a religious text for my peculiar faith. Drawing from my Jewish background, I decided what I needed was a proper Talmud: a collection of spiritual commentaries on and religious conclusions drawn from the canonical songs of the Queen discography. A little while ago, I settled on how I would do it.

I am not really into Queen, not too familiar with them, though I respect them from a distance. But I love, love this kind of collaborative commentary/ myth-making. If you assigned me a song to listen to I would be happy to contribute something. Having read a lot of Christian commentaries in the Alexandrian tradition (they love digging out all kinds of farfetched correspondences and allegorical readings from seemingly simple texts) I might enjoy trying my hand at something similar.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 10:59:56 am by SirPalomides »

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 07:00:21 pm »
Glorious. Do you read Phonogram or the Wicked + the Divine ? Comic books set in worlds where music is magic and stars a kind of deification; I find them really *zingy* if that makes sense, I get a real magical buzz off them.

I have a complicated history with The Wicked + the Divine; I have never read past the first arc out of sheer distraction, but I used to have friends who were very into it and I once read Tarot from my Bowie deck at a WicDiv-themed party DJed by the author.

My craft does queer Pan-Dionysus-as-rock-gods, so this is very in my zone. I don't think I can make the commitment you're looking for (I'm flakey at long projects, and also can't get the books), but I am interested if there a lower commitment role you can think of. For example, a single album if I am able to scrounge the book somehow; or, if that's too shallow an engagement with the corpus, formatting/proofreading the final thing. Keep me in mind if you can think of a smaller task I'd be a fit for x

I may consider writing up as much background material as possible myself so that having to purchase books isn't necessary, or just giving the option to skip the books and offer commentary on the music. I admittedly still need to finish some of the books myself!
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Fencraft: Seekers of the Landweird
  • Religion: Fencraft (Pagan animism/trad witchcraft/cunning craft/folklore)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 08:33:18 am »
I have a complicated history with The Wicked + the Divine; I have never read past the first arc out of sheer distraction, but I used to have friends who were very into it and I once read Tarot from my Bowie deck at a WicDiv-themed party DJed by the author.

I may consider writing up as much background material as possible myself so that having to purchase books isn't necessary, or just giving the option to skip the books and offer commentary on the music. I admittedly still need to finish some of the books myself!

I understand that this is a lot of extra work, but if that was the case then I would like to participate.

(buuuuut, you'll pick things out of the book which are the things you're already vibing with - which probably reduce the effectiveness of your project. Because, maybe I would have picked up on something different or really disagreed with you, had I read the full book)

I hesitate to mention it, because I think I know the answer to this question, but what's the forum stance on book piracy.

Or - an alternative which might be more within the bounds of ethics - scanning in key chapters, as a teacher might for a class.
Pagan life blog: Haptalaon @ Dreamwidth
Fencraft Handbook: Seekers of the Landweird: for land-trance, pagan animism, folklore and traditional witchcraft

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 03:42:56 pm »
I understand that this is a lot of extra work, but if that was the case then I would like to participate.

Another option I might consider: simply assigning certain topics to be researched using whatever methods a student has available and providing a few links to free resources as a jumping off point. Most of the subjects can probably be researched in this way--although of course I'd want to know what sources were used. As a bonus, so long as we're all careful about checking our sources, this means all students would be coming at things from a slightly different angle and able to provide different perspectives.
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 01:25:39 am »
Another option I might consider: simply assigning certain topics to be researched using whatever methods a student has available and providing a few links to free resources as a jumping off point. Most of the subjects can probably be researched in this way--although of course I'd want to know what sources were used. As a bonus, so long as we're all careful about checking our sources, this means all students would be coming at things from a slightly different angle and able to provide different perspectives.

As an update: I have now set up a Discord server as a kind of study group for this project, with all sources provided in the server. Anyone who's interested in joining should let me know.
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 06:04:10 pm »
As an update: I have now set up a Discord server as a kind of study group for this project, with all sources provided in the server. Anyone who's interested in joining should let me know.

I'm a bit late with this - if I were to join and then end up not providing much input, how terrible would that be?  I'm interested, but as I think I mentioned on the Discord I'm not 100% sure how much commitment I can really offer... Also, how big of a pain would the time difference be, do you imagine?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 04:20:05 am »
I'm a bit late with this - if I were to join and then end up not providing much input, how terrible would that be?  I'm interested, but as I think I mentioned on the Discord I'm not 100% sure how much commitment I can really offer... Also, how big of a pain would the time difference be, do you imagine?

You are absolutely welcome to join and contribute what you can. The time difference might be a pain if we engage in active conversations, but I don't think that would stop you from offering up your thoughts now and then.
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags: