Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: New Parent  (Read 2808 times)

NaomiHope

• View Profile
New Parent
« on: December 25, 2012, 12:53:34 am »
Hello all,

I was wondering when did you start introducing Paganism to your child? My little one is only a month old, but as I begin to reconnect to my own inner beliefs and learn more, I am bought back into the present how I want my baby to have an early start.

Also, how did you introduce them to it?
[INDENT]"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso [/INDENT]

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: New Parent
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 08:35:22 pm »
Quote from: NaomiHope;86649
I was wondering when did you start introducing Paganism to your child? My little one is only a month old, but as I begin to reconnect to my own inner beliefs and learn more, I am bought back into the present how I want my baby to have an early start.

Also, how did you introduce them to it?

I don't know that we introduce the kids to anything in particular.  The older bit (she's three) knows what we do on an ordinary basis (like lighting shrine candles), and she asks to help.  She sat down and had dinner with my grandmother (for whom she's named) and me last month in front of the ancestor shrine.

One of the things that's really struck me as a parent is that I have no idea how to raise a child non-animistically.  I mean, we stop at the gas station and she asks why.  "The car is hungry."

The only thing I've actually done in the "I show you something" format is talk to her about some breathing exercises I was doing so she could sit with me and do them too.  She thought that was hilarious.

And the end result is that I have a kid who bursts into my bedroom and orders me to take a blue bath, or marches around the house with a stick waving it in the air when I do a smudging so she can "help clean", or other stuff, just treating it as perfectly normal.  Because it is, around here.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

NaomiHope

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 11:36:20 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;86739
I don't know that we introduce the kids to anything in particular.  The older bit (she's three) knows what we do on an ordinary basis (like lighting shrine candles), and she asks to help.  She sat down and had dinner with my grandmother (for whom she's named) and me last month in front of the ancestor shrine.

One of the things that's really struck me as a parent is that I have no idea how to raise a child non-animistically.  I mean, we stop at the gas station and she asks why.  "The car is hungry."

The only thing I've actually done in the "I show you something" format is talk to her about some breathing exercises I was doing so she could sit with me and do them too.  She thought that was hilarious.

And the end result is that I have a kid who bursts into my bedroom and orders me to take a blue bath, or marches around the house with a stick waving it in the air when I do a smudging so she can "help clean", or other stuff, just treating it as perfectly normal.  Because it is, around here.

Thank you Darkhawk for your reply.

And I see, you simply live everyday life. I haven't started to do anything significant around the house - no hugely noticeable habits. I am thinking as he gets older, it would be good to deliberately do certain things or ask him to join me in activities.
[INDENT]"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso [/INDENT]

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 11:43:54 pm »
Quote from: NaomiHope;86764
Thank you Darkhawk for your reply.

And I see, you simply live everyday life. I haven't started to do anything significant around the house - no hugely noticeable habits. I am thinking as he gets older, it would be good to deliberately do certain things or ask him to join me in activities.

Yeah.  One of the things that foxes me a lot is that I don't have a lot of solid practice for holidays and the like.  Which means I can't do stuff like - my housemate is Jewish, so she sings the song for the Hanukkah candles and we can do that with the kids, I don't have that kind of solid tradition.

She did get a kick out of helping me with an execration, though.  Nobody execrates like a three-year-old!  https://peacefulawakenings.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/execration-via-small-child/ is a blog post about it.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: