collapse

Author Topic: Young Gentleman Buys Rights to AIDS Drug, Raises Price From $13.50 to $750 a Pill  (Read 1649 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
What this article doesn't say is that the drug is 60+ years old. There are no research costs to support or the like.

" When former hedge fund manager Martin Shkreli took over the rights to Daraprim as founder of Turing Pharmaceuticals, he conveniently raised the price "overnight" to the all American tune of an "almost 5,500 percent increase" in price. Daraprim is used to treat toxoplasmosis, a parasitic infection that's capable of causing life-threatening complications in infants and for "people with compromised immune systems," such as those with AIDS and even "certain" cancer patients."

Read the Article
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Quote from: RandallS;180243
What this article doesn't say is that the drug is 60+ years old. There are no research costs to support or the like.

" When former hedge fund manager Martin Shkreli took over the rights to Daraprim as founder of Turing Pharmaceuticals, he conveniently raised the price "overnight" to the all American tune of an "almost 5,500 percent increase" in price. Daraprim is used to treat toxoplasmosis, a parasitic infection that's capable of causing life-threatening complications in infants and for "people with compromised immune systems," such as those with AIDS and even "certain" cancer patients."

Read the Article

I've been fielding outrage about this on Facebook all day. I hope this provides enough impetus for change, because this is atrocious, and this person is filth.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: Altair;180249
I've been fielding outrage about this on Facebook all day. I hope this provides enough impetus for change, because this is atrocious, and this person is filth.

It would be nice if it would provide impetus for real change, but I suspect the pharmaceutical industry has more than enough money (thanks to being able to do crap like this) to buy enough members of congress via "campaign donations" to prevent much real change. :mad:
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;180243

Read the Article

Calling it an AIDS drug is inaccurate.  I can't stand sensationalist headlines.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: veggiewolf;180310
Calling it an AIDS drug is inaccurate.  I can't stand sensationalist headlines.

That's true. Isn't it for toxoplasmosis? Something that doesn't give trouble except to immunocompromised people...or pregnant folk.

Actually makes it even worse, IMO.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Altair;180249

What do you (generic you) want to change?  The drug is off patent, so anybody with the money can start making it.

Of note, I suspect that very few people pay the price listed, it's insurance companies and the govt that pay the full price. That doesn't make it any better, but does add some nuance to the issue.

Tags: